Is EMS Hostile to certain demographics?

Sasha

Forum Chief
I figured that instead of hijacking another thread, we can move it to here. It has the potential for discussion if it doesnt get off tangent or argumentative.

So, do you feel EMS is hostile to those who are not young white heterosexual males?

I'd love to hear the opinioons of our openly gay or non-white posters.

bunkie

Forum Asst. Chief
I figured that instead of hijacking another thread, we can move it to here. It has the potential for discussion if it doesnt get off tangent or argumentative.

So, do you feel EMS is hostile to those who are not young white heterosexual males?

I'd love to hear the opinioons of our openly gay or non-white posters.

Good topic. Will be watching it with curiosity.

JPINFV

Gadfly
You know, my first EMS job probably was the most diverse group that I've ever been with. We had numerous homosexuals (including one in a supervisor position), whites, blacks, Asians, latinos, and just about every other nationality and just about every religion. I never witnessed any conflicts due to anything other than personality conflicts with the notable exception of the one or two people who felt it was their job to convert their coworker, but they were the extreme exception.

JCampbell

Forum Crew Member
Where I work all but one EMT is white, most are women, a few men. Almost all the drivers are black, most women, a few men, one asian male. My supv is a white female EMT, my boss is a black male paramedic. In class its: 3 AA females, 4 white males, 3 AA males, 3 white females. Instructor is a white female paramedic. In the surrounding tri-county services I don't think I've seen even one non-white EMT or paramedic. Lots of females though. Funny how nursing staff is exactly opposite...almost all black female.

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
Good topic. Will be watching it with curiosity.

Seconded.

As a woman, I haven't noticed that many differences in EMS, even at the station where there are so few of us that it's still common for me to have a bunkroom all to myself. Sure, it can be a bit awkward. I have to dress to minimize my chest, and being around when the conversation with an all-male crew turns to dating and sex can get weird. When you join as anything but a white male redneck, they don't really know what to make of you for the first few months.

I've noticed a lot more going on with fire, on the other hand. I'm not a firefighter, but we share a station. I feel like I had to work way harder to prove myself to them at first. Now that I've managed, they're trying pretty hard to recruit me, as they do with everyone they like. But I feel like some of them still see me as more of a curiosity than anything, and are more interested in me because of that than anything. I notice that the same appears to be true for most of our minorities who've met their standards.

We have one lesbian in fire, too. She's generally well-liked, but I notice that everyone thinks of her as a man. We only have gay men in EMS. If any were to go for fire, I think they'd have to work harder to prove themselves than any other group. Homophobia is accepted still, whereas racism and sexism are on the way out.

Another service I run with has way more problems. It's about evenly men and women, but almost everyone is straight, white, in shape, fairly good-looking, and some sort of not-very-serious Christian. The few who don't fit this mold really stand out, and we have some insensitive jerks.

SEBeast

Forum Crew Member
Hostile?

I am fortunate enough to work in a big city and ,with the many side jobs we hold, have experienced both acceptance and hostility. The service I currently work for is very diverse. Other services around here are not. For example, there is a service around here that is notorious for hiring young white pretty females. The males they hire are primarily white but not much consideration is given to their appearance. They consider themselves diverse by hiring a few non-whites males and females, and of course they have a few gay individuals female and male. They (the members working for this service) are very critical and love to gossip about each other. Except for a very few (who did not fit the profile of the young and pretty in crowd, male and female), had nothing positive to say about any of their co-workers. This service is host to it's very own EMT and Paramedic school. Almost all the young and pretty females had been intimately involved with someone such as an instructor, a supervisor, a station captain, and even some of the top administrators. Many of these "pretty" people had moved up the chain, or would get the station they wanted, or had and continue to be selected for functions and events that others miss out on all the time. (EMS Conferences ect.) I thought to myself that these people must some how earn all these privileges. Until I paid my way to one of these conferences, and saw the very same people from previous events there who had their way paid for. Not one of them took advantage of the ce classes offered there. Many of them were literally drunk at the conference. When night fell, it all came together. I went to a local watering hole. It happened to be the very same one all the "pretty people" were at along with administrators, instructors, station captains and supervisors. Their behavior was a sight to behold. I stuck up a conversation with one of the supervisors, who from time to time would walk away from me in the middle of my sentence to tend to one the "pretty" female Paramedics dancing all by herself, without music. Anyway, I didn't even ask, and this same supervisor told me how terrible she was at her job. How she had numerous complaints from patients and coworkers. Before I could finish asking how she still had a job, they were both on their way to his room. I decided to retire to my room when another supervisor grabbed me and as he laughed and laughed, he commented that he had already "hit" that, pertaining to the young pretty Paramedic female that had just left with the supervisor I had been talking to.

The previous excerpt was written by my roommate and close friend, not by sebeast. I know of this service and many like it around here. So hostility towards certain demographics does exist, I believe.

Summit

Critical Crazy
I thought EMS was only hostile towards patients who wait at the curb with two packed suitcases.

WolfmanHarris

Forum Asst. Chief
Within the service I work for I'm comfortable with an emphatic no. Over 300 medics, 55% female, significant percentage visible minority (I don't have a number available, so I can't be specific and I've worked with many Gay or Lesbian medics without issue. The commissioner of Health and Social Services is female, one of two deputy chiefs is female, one of three Professional Standards Superintendents, and more then one of our Operations Superintendents.

Rather than affirmative action what we're seeing is as the profession increases in pay, benefits, improved working conditions and respect we're able to attract a more diverse, highly educated workforce. As a casual I work with many different partners. My last three were all University graduated, (in my hire of 27, more then half were University grads) two were female and one was middle eastern.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
I thought EMS was only hostile towards patients who wait at the curb with two packed suitcases.
Positive Suitcase Sign... Very ominous.

One of the places I've worked at had the typical personality issue, but as far as other problems, such as hostility simply because the person was openly gay or non-white or female... we had none. As long as you could do your job competently, and respected our chain of command (it was WELL defined), we wanted you around.

One place I worked, I experienced more gossip/backstabbing stuff in 2 weeks than I'd experienced in 4 years at the previous company. It was obvious that I knew more about the local system and being a Paramedic than my supervisor did... It didn't help that the Supervisor also had an obvious "thing" with the higher-ups within the company. You can guess who left that company PDQ. At the time, I was a new Paramedic... It was just SOO sad, borderline pathetic how that company allowed that behavior.

At least that company no longer has a presence in any of the counties I've spent any real time working in... I'm not broken up about that.

SA_Medic

Forum Probie
I'll just watch this topic as well. I have learned a lesson early in my life, if you want an argument start talking about the following:
1) Religion
2) Sports
3) Politics
4) Sexual Orientation
5) Food <-- as per zaboomafoozarg below ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

zaboomafoozarg

Forum Crew Member
I get into some good arguments about food with people who have weird taste, occasionally.^_^

Last edited by a moderator:

atropine

Forum Captain
our department is way to big, but not that many women, don't know about any gays, at least I don't know of any iam sure there out there, but no matter who your probation is probation and everybody who can't cut it is dropped like a sack of potato's.:p

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Do you expect people to say they are biased?

OP
OP
Sasha

Sasha

Forum Chief
Do you expect people to say they are biased?

No I expect discussion at the topic at hand.

Personally, I don't feel EMS is hostile to any demographic. People who feel oppressed and feel they are treated with hostility are usually the ones who are out looking for reasons to be offended and pull the race/sex card.

I get annoyed with the those who expect special treatment on either side of the coin.