Is EMS Hostile to certain demographics?

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
Aboriginal Canadian here. I don't find EMS hostile.

AlphaButch

Forum Lieutenant
Both of the places I work are very diverse. I wouldn't call either of them "hostile" to minority or gay workers (as I am both), however, those who are new to the industry and thin-skinned or looking at it from the outside would probably call it a hostile environment until they've adjusted to the culture of the job. We spend so much time together that we're like a family, odds are that someone will say or do something offensive, odds are you'll get ticked off at someone over something, be an adult, let them know. Then move on and continue getting the job done. We're biased against people who expect differential treatment.

bunkie

Forum Asst. Chief
I'm not in the field yet but it isn't an issue in our class. We started out with 7 females and are down to 3. But our large group of guys don't manage to treat us any differently. The a-holes are a-holes, doesn't matter what side you fit in on.
I'm far from a feminist. I am secure enough in my gender and intelligent enough to know that realistically the average female doesn't have the strength to do what the average male can. However, I expect a chance for the non-average female that can. If you think you can, then by all means, go out and do it. If she can, then she should have the right to work that job. But I also support equal testing of both genders. You want to go out and be treated like a man, then you should be graded like a man would as well.

I don't feel as if I have to "prove" myself in anything I do just because of my gender or sexuality. Respect, trust and camaraderie are built over time and through experiences. What is meant to come will come from real trials and tests of my skill and ability. Not any overzealous attempts to prove that I can play with the big boys too.

As far as my sexuality is concerned, I'm very open about it. I am a bisexual female in a monogamous marriage to a male. But I do not shy away if people ask about my sexual orientation. It has never really been an issue for me other then people assuming that because I'm bi and married I am also polyamorous. But that is just something that comes with preconceived notions and ignorance. I can deal with that.. and you have too if you are going to be open and out. The only time it has really ever been a big problem for me was when another student heard of my orientation and made it a point to act as if I was hitting on/flirting with every single female student in the class. :rolleyes: (but that guy is the definition of douche bag)

So, so far, in interactions with my extremely diverse class, instructors and evaluators, I've never felt as if EMS would be hostile to my particular demographic. Granted, as I said, I'm not in the field yet but I'm feeling fairly comfortable about what to expect.

If it ever does become an issue, it's just that more satisfying when you prove them wrong. ^_^

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
I think there's a lot of room for people to be offended in our service, esp us newbies. My cardio lecturer published a paper on undergrads feelings about placements.

"A greater number of students, 57%, also highlighted that at least one crew member treated them with distain."

On road paramedics remarked to 40% of students that they doubted their ability to perform the physical role of a paramedic, 82% of these students were females. Of this group 36% were advised this more than once and 87% of this cohort were females.

To be fare though, we have some remarkably small, slight young women in our course, some of whom seem to lack the ability to get around their small size and strength, but for the most part, I can't see it mattering.

For the most part, I would prefer to work with women. In my experience, they're better clinicians, better teachers on the road, have a better grasp of the theory and are just nicer.

I don't know anyone in the service or in my degree who is openly gay, but then I don't know that many people in EMS, I spend too much time on this forum to actually meet real people ;).

One thing I have noticed is a strong bias against the mentally ill. It seems to be mostly jovial/venting, but I could certainly see some people being uncomfortable. I was on placement once and medic said in frustration after a psych call, "They should take all the crazies out behind a shed and just shoot them". I giggled thinking how awkward he would be if I piped up and told him I have Bipolar disorder. Comments like that don't bother me, but I still keep by illness to myself at least until the people I'm around (in EMS) know that I'm competent and intelligent.

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
Our class, which is entirely current FD personnel ranges from 19F, to 54M.

My last graduating Medic class ranged in age from 1-18 year old to a 56 year old. Average age was probably 26ish. 80% were firefighter hopefuls, 3 females, 1 medical school candidate, 1 school teacher, an actuary, 4 held a bachelors degree, several Associate degrees, 1 Army Medic, and a partridge in a pear tree :p There were no "minority" groups.

My last graduating MFR class were all females. All but 3 of them were school teachers. 3 were paraprofessionals. The teachers ranged from elementary to high school to special education and most of them held a Masters degree in education. They edited the entire text...lol!!

My last graduating Basic class was a mish-mash of 31 students from 18-40. A very typical group for Basic EMT.

BLSBoy

makes good girls go bad
I get annoyed with the those who expect special treatment on either side of the coin.

Bing-freakin-o!
Pull the race/sex/homo card, you loose respect.

Around here, if you don't get your balls broken, its cause no one likes you. Be it because you are too loud, an idiot, not a good patient care provider or you have no personality.
If age/sex/sexual status means that you treat someone different, you need help.