Is 56 too old to become an EMT?

Kolohe Surfer

Forum Ride Along
Top shape, still surf big wave, swim a mile in 26 minutes, free dive to 70' and can bench 185.
Mind seems as sharp as ever, just need a new path that gives back instead of takes...
Mahalo

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Generally speaking, as long as you're younger than dead and not otherwise prohibited from getting licensed/certified... you can become an EMT.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
We have a Paramedic who retired from 25 years as a security guard and head of security at one a local resort. He started as an I in his mid 50s and is now in his early 60s working as a medic with no end in sight.

And you're in damn better shape than him. 26 minute mile in the water is better than the vast majority of the population around the world, I was a pool and open water lifeguard for a couple years and I think my fastest mile was high teens but I was in the best shape of my life and less than half your age. I wouldn't doubt you'd blow me out of the water now.

MrJones

Iconoclast
I also started as an EMT in my mid 50s (retired military) and am now working as a medic. Not a big deal, although going back to college at my age meant that I was the creepy old dude on campus. ;)

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Slightly apples to oranges, but I'm in class now and I'm 37. Why should age be an issue if you're reasonably fit?
High risk for back injury in any age. The older you get the more prone you are to an injury.

Granted if you're healthy you can greatly reduce that risk but it still exists. I'll try to find it but I was reading an article that talked about the average career of an EMS provider and it was like 5 years with burnout and career ending back injuries as the leading cause in all age groups.

I'm 24 and I was originally told that my shoulder injury could potentially be career-ending before my surgery. It was an injury from outside of work though.

joshrunkle35

EMT-P/RN
You could absolutely do it, however, I would suggest looking at nursing school simply because of the pay difference and the slightly lower risk of injury.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
You could absolutely do it, however, I would suggest looking at nursing school simply because of the pay difference and the slightly lower risk of injury.

So he could start working at 59 instead of 56?

:unsure:

bab

Forum Ride Along
what do you think about a 56-year old woman looking for a career change? I'm little (5 ft 2, 105 lbs) but strong & fit. Been working all my life mostly at jobs that are so boring & meaningless. Couple times in my life I've had to step up during an emergency and wow, loved it- not what happened but that I could help someone like that. Any training that takes more than a year max is out, can't afford to be out of work that long. Think EMT is a pipe dream for me?

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Considering most EMT courses run two nights a week at night for one semester and that's it...I'd say it's very doable.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
It is not difficult to take an EMT class and pass a certification exam. It can be more difficult to get a job, though honestly every place I've worked will hire people with significant "life experience" as quickly as possible. We have several later in life EMTs at my fulltime place and I love working with them. The only we have an issue with is someone who was a long time non-medical driver for the service and was "forced" (his words) to get his EMT card when the service transitioned to 24 hour paid ALS crews. He is not a good driver and is about useless on scene but has been around longer than most so he's not going anywhere. Oh well, he's a nice enough guy at least.

drl

Forum Lieutenant
Yep, becoming certified as an EMT isn't all that difficult. Most people in my (weekend 0800-1700) class were working full-time, and I was a full-time student, so it should be doable if you are willing to put in the time and effort.

Most companies do physical tests pre-hire, but if you're fit, you shouldn't have a problem either.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
It's doable, but the physical challenge is just one part of it. You have to be open to learning new things and taking direction from people much younger than you. For some, that's not as easy as it sounds. Whatever you accomplished in your "prior life" won't count for much until you establish yourself in your new field.

Medic496

Show strength when weak, and humility when strong
Becoming an EMS professional is possible for any person of any age. I believe that the future of EMS will include home calls with part of our profession not lifting patients and driving but providing care and guidance. EMS is healthcare, the 911 first response portion does require long shifts and dangerous working conditions. Paramedics in the future will have a much greater ability to be part of the healthcare continuum.

ViolynEMT

Forum Chiefess
This is my second career. I just got certified and licensed and am older than most newbies. Was the oldest in my class.

MainMedicMan

Forum Ride Along
You also have Life experience, and that can contribute to a better understanding in certain EMS situations. Getting the job is your next goal.

hollowsoul87

Forum Probie
DO IT!! I would also rather work with someone with life experience and awesome *** stories rather than "bar" tales and drunk stories.

Crystal Ann

Forum Ride Along
Newbie here. I'm turning 35 and getting ready to start my semester as an EMT student. At first I questioned my age, but I guess it isn't too old. As long as you're fit and mentally ready for the challenges ahead of you. I just got my gym membership back just so I can work on strength training while I go to school.