Interview appointment

Lucy212

Forum Crew Member
Hi online crew,

I received an email requesting an interview at an agency in one of the five boroughs. Here's my dilemma. I applied to the agency to work there part/time or per diem. They are one of the few agencies here in the city who will hire a brand new EMT. The agency has been known to be one of the fewer well respected ones to work for and their EMT staff usually last about a year there and then move to another agency or simply quit. However, I don't see myself doing that if I'm able to work there part time BUT in the email (which was a one-liner) they state a time and a place to show up. They request me to pick my own time slot. They did not ask if I was available, nor did they provide directions, a name or a telephone number. I replied asking them if they can set up a different time with me, and I got a simple " WE ONLY CONDUCT INTERVIEWS ONCE A MONTH". I feel I might have accidentally ticked off the sender. How can I show them I do want to work there and have them maybe work something out with me? OR, do I have to abide by their interview schedule all the way? I don't want to lose out on this job.

Thanks,

~ Lucy

Last edited by a moderator:

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
Not sure I understand. Didn't you say they asked you to pick your own time slot? That might be as much flexibility as you'll get, particularly if it's a buyer's market in NYC. It sure was when I worked as a medic in Brooklyn in the mid '90s. If that's still the case, they can set whatever interview schedule they like.

Are you concerned that EMTs last there only a year? I would be. Any idea why?

firecoins

IFT Puppet
go to the interview and at least get some work experence.

OP
OP
L

Lucy212

Forum Crew Member
mgr22,

Truth be told I'm not sure why their EMT's last a year there or a little more. I would assume that because it's a private agency, an EMT might feel if they work there for a year and get some experience they can apply to other companies with that experience listed on their resume. I also understand that agency is not on the 911 system and the calls might be few and far between. Again, I applied there because I was informed they do hire brand new EMTs, which of course is what I am... and eager to work anywhere at this point.

I will go to the interview next month, as I missed this month's - but I will post the results then. Thanks!

~ Lucy

firecoins

IFT Puppet
They last a year because of low pay and high call volume. Most emts wanting to stay in EMS in NYC can apply to 911 positions with certain companies after a year with a substanial raise. Or they can become medics.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
mgr22,

Truth be told I'm not sure why their EMT's last a year there or a little more. I would assume that because it's a private agency, an EMT might feel if they work there for a year and get some experience they can apply to other companies with that experience listed on their resume. I also understand that agency is not on the 911 system and the calls might be few and far between. Again, I applied there because I was informed they do hire brand new EMTs, which of course is what I am... and eager to work anywhere at this point.

I will go to the interview next month, as I missed this month's - but I will post the results then. Thanks!

~ Lucy

What firecoins said, plus the IFT realm is known to be a dead-end job. You'll start at maybe 9.50-10/hr, and maybe make 13/hr after 3-5 years or so if you're lucky. In many cases, though, the company will find a reason to let you go, or make conditions untenable if you're topped out in salary, so that a new jack can come back in at 10/hr. BTW, the privates were paying 10/hr back in 2002 when I first started. It's like a pay cut every year due to inflation. The medical typically sucks, and how are you going to afford the premium on 10 bucks an hour? That wipes out a good chunk of your pay. Very few advancement opportunites. Really, why would you want to spend your career at a private EMS employer anyway? They could lose a few contracts, get sued once or twice, and then fold. Is it any wonder most leave after a year? That's probably around how long it takes to either complete medic school, get hired by FDNY EMS, or be eligible for hire by a good hospital. Apply to my old spot, North Shore LIJ. I don't think you need experience there. You may have to wait a while, but it's worth it. For 911, you can also try Transcare. After a certain amount of time, you can move up to 911 in their organization.

Ewok Jerky

PA-C
How can I show them I do want to work there and have them maybe work something out with me? OR, do I have to abide by their interview schedule all the way? I don't want to lose out on this job.

If you want the job you will have to interview when they tell you. these people have so many applicants they don't have to make exceptions for people. also, think of the coordination done on their end, to do an interview, they might not be able schedule all the principles and resources very easily.

when I applied with AMR the first thing they did laid out the hiring process (written test, skills test, physical, orientation) and said look if you can't commit to this schedule, if you will be missing one day walk out now because you are wasting our time and resources. sounds harsh but they had 160+ qualified applicants for 20 spots.

Last edited by a moderator:

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
With few exceptions in life, I've always had to accommodate my interviewers. For EMS it meant missing two college classes and driving an hour and a half. For other jobs I've spent $500+ on a last minute airline ticket just for the opportunity. In EMS the employers clearly have the upper hand, and it'll be up to you to accommodate their needs.

Good luck!

OP
OP
L

Lucy212

Forum Crew Member
Mgr22,

Thanks for the good luck wishes - and everyone else thanks for the informative advice.

~ Lucy