Interesting Map

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm assuming the map author did little research and actually meant paramedics. Washington does have a higher salary for paramedics than many other states.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

WyMedic

Forum Crew Member
Isn't Tacoma Washington like one of the highest paid fire/EMS depts in the county?

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

E tank

Caution: Paralyzing Agent
Makes you wonder how much the large metropolitan area skews the data for the whole state. Seattle v. Spokane v. the Tri-Cities etc.

joshrunkle35

EMT-P/RN
The other thing that skews the data is that the majority of EMT's make less than McDonalds workers.

ETA: And, I do believe that Paramedics in Washington have training towards the higher end of hours for initial training. NREMT cites paramedic training as 1,000-14,000 hours depending on the state, and I believe that I one read that the higher end initial training (14,000 hours) was found somewhere in Washington state. Meaning: pay that is disproportionate with the rest of the country may still be commensurate with initial investment of training.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Carlos Danger

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
The other thing that skews the data is that the majority of EMT's make less than McDonalds workers.

Well, yeah. I imagine this data probably includes paramedics, though.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Well, yeah. I imagine this data probably includes paramedics, though.

Fire paramedics in Western Washington regularly make upward of 60k without overtime, while medics in Yakima make 14 dollars an hour after several years of experience.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Isn't Tacoma Washington like one of the highest paid fire/EMS depts in the county?
I thought Kings County paramedics gets paid an absurdly high starting wage, at least compared to the rest of the US

OP
OP
Carlos Danger

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I thought Kings County paramedics gets paid an absurdly high starting wage, at least compared to the rest of the US
That is actually what the map is based on, I think. It is showing the occupation in each state that makes the most money as compared to the national average for that occupation.

It doesn't compare state to state. So medics in California, for instance, may make even more as compared to the national average than medics in Washington do. But the disparity for other occupations in California is even higher than for medics.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.

They don't get an absurdly high wage, but one that is fair, based on the cost of living. @FLMedic311 could shed some light on that.

It's very expensive to live in Seattle. Even in the outlying areas, prices are high.

FLMedic311

Forum Lieutenant
Is our wage absurd... well I can imagine that if you just looked at my hourly wage and nothing else then you would probably say yes. But as @NomadicMedic pointed out the average price per sqft for property is like $310 meaning you will pay $310K for a 1000sqft property, in a average location. So in that context no it isn't absurd. But we do get paid well and considering our other benefits and retirement, it is pretty amazing. So I guess the bottom line is.. We do alright..;)

DrParasite

They don't get an absurdly high wage, but one that is fair, based on the cost of living. @FLMedic311 could shed some light on that.

It's very expensive to live in Seattle. Even in the outlying areas, prices are high.
Are you saying Seattle has a higher cost of living than NYC? Because I know how expensive it is to live in New York, and their medics get paid peanuts.
Is our wage absurd... well I can imagine that if you just looked at my hourly wage and nothing else then you would probably say yes. But as @NomadicMedic pointed out the average price per sqft for property is like $310 meaning you will pay $310K for a 1000sqft property, in a average location.
just for comparison, the price per sq foot in NYC/Manhattan is $1,759

Not saying you shouldn't get paid well, but some Washington EMS agencies are paid really well, at least compared to others in the state; and compared to the cost of living, they get paid well (especially considering there are EMTs making minimum wage and paramedics who are eligible for food stamps in some states.

BTW, just because you work in an expensive area, doesn't mean you have to live there ;)

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
They actually get paid about median income for King County. It's good to see people getting paid fairly for their skills.

BTW, just because you work in an expensive area, doesn't mean you have to live there ;)

Speaking of which...I'd be curious to see if anybody has figures on where NYC EMS providers live. My guess is outer boroughs and northern suburbs?

Grozler

Forum Crew Member
Speaking of which...I'd be curious to see if anybody has figures on where NYC EMS providers live. My guess is outer boroughs and northern suburbs?
No hard figures but first hand knowledge of NYC EMS providers. Yes, no one lives in Manhattan. Outer boroughs, suburbs, New Jersey, CT, PA. And as a former resident in western Washington, I can tell you the real estate prices aren't as bad as the greater NYC area it's but getting close. The real difference is property taxes. My parents pay $3000/year for a middle of the road house close enough to Seattle. I'm paying well over $10k/year in Westchester for a similar place. Gotta love that overtime.

DrParasite

They actually get paid about median income for King County. It's good to see people getting paid fairly for their skills.
which is awesome
Most live on long island, or NJ, or the counties surrounding NYC (rockland, westchester, maybe orange). some live in the outer boroughs, but usually in a house or apartment that is rent controlled and was passed down through generations.

Most don't live in the 5 boroughs and if they do, they aren't in one of the luxury units (usually some rathole apartment with no parking), unless it was a unit that was passed down. There are, of course some exceptions (staten island is typically the cheapest borough to live in and not be in too ****ty of an area)

most of the people I know who aren't from NYC and get a job in NYC don't live in NYC.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Outer boroughs, suburbs, New Jersey, CT, PA.

Sounds sensible to me. I would love to live in Dutchess County, but the trains are just too slow.

I'm paying well over $10k/year in Westchester for a similar place.

Westchester property taxes are just nuts...CT is so much better, but with Metro North as slow as it is, well, you know...

most of the people I know who aren't from NYC and get a job in NYC don't live in NYC.

I think this sounds about right - I think this is probably true in every industry, honestly.

FLMedic311

Forum Lieutenant
Are you saying Seattle has a higher cost of living than NYC? Because I know how expensive it is to live in New York, and their medics get paid peanuts.
just for comparison, the price per sq foot in NYC/Manhattan is $1,759
So upon review, no I am not implying that...I never even mentioned NYC as a matter of fact

Not saying you shouldn't get paid well, but some Washington EMS agencies are paid really well, at least compared to others in the state; and compared to the cost of living, they get paid well (especially considering there are EMTs making minimum wage and paramedics who are eligible for food stamps in some states.
I agree, the average Paramedic/EMT's income is in general deplorable. But as you are all well aware there a numerous places, even outside of Washington where you can make a reasonable living.. So go forth and find your dream job!!

Thus I live outside King County!:)

DrParasite

So upon review, no I am not implying that...I never even mentioned NYC as a matter of fact
This is true, you didn't. However you did mention that Seattle has a high cost of living, hence the high salaries.... I was just saying that other places that have high costs of living don't give higher salaries for EMS, using NYC as the example.

I have heard a lot of good things about the KC Medic 1 program (and some things that make me not want to even consider it), but all my job searching has shown me is that there is no utopian EMS system, where you get paid well, don't have to work copious amounts of OT to live comfortably, and see enough sick patients to maintain competencies.

and I have found my dream job; it has nothing to do with being on an ambulance :D
I think this sounds about right - I think this is probably true in every industry, honestly.
TBH, originally I specified EMS, but changed it to every industry (my father has commuted from NJ to midtown manhattan for the better part of 35 years).

But I did know one doctor who lived in Manhattan and commuted to Paterson NJ for work.......

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
TBH, originally I specified EMS, but changed it to every industry (my father has commuted from NJ to midtown manhattan for the better part of 35 years).

But I did know one doctor who lived in Manhattan and commuted to Paterson NJ for work.......

I remember for a while in the mid-aughts that folks were reverse commuting from NYC to Stamford and Greenwich and White Plains, but that was a temporary thing, from what I've heard.