In Need of advice for my Vol EMS Squad

traumaluv2011

Forum Lieutenant
So my volunteer First Aid Squad has some issues with retaining new members. The problem is that the line officers don't really teach very well so whenever a new guy/girl does something wrong, he/she gets yelled at. We don't have a formal written SOP (or SOG, whichever you prefer to call it). We do have a constitution, but that really doesn't cover procedures for calls. I don't think they would want to take the time to write one up.

So my idea was to do most of the work for them and to write up a set of SOPs for them. Then I will present it to them when I finish it. I would let them review it and make any changes or what not. I just don't want to get in trouble. The officers like things the way they are and don't like change.

I know all of you wouldn't really know for sure, but do any of you think I should do this? I already have a few sections done.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
If the officer won't change, don't waste your time.

Sad to say, but too many volunteer EMS agencies fail due to poor leadership or dinosaurs.

If the leadership won't do what is needed, than nothing will change.

The officers need to write the procedures, as well as enforce them and have them apply to all members. otherwise they are doomed to fail, and you are setting yourself up for frustration.

and that was one of the reasons why I no longer volunteer.

truetiger

Forum Asst. Chief
Did I read that you do not have protocols/guidelines?

OP
OP
traumaluv2011

traumaluv2011

Forum Lieutenant
Yea they are enforcing unwritten SOPs. How can you expect someone to know what to do when there is no written SOP? Everything is taught as you respond to calls. But most of them don't teach very well. So I figure if they are written down, there won't be any more issues of new members being yelled at.

leoemt

Forum Captain
Retention of employees starts at the top. You need to make people want to remain employed (or as volunteers) at your organization. This means that you need to have uniform expectations that are fair and just and apply to everyone. You need to create a safe and inviting environment.

I am currently the newbie at my company, and I have to admit that it is hard. In addition to learning the ropes of the job, I also have to meet everyone and fit in. This is true no matter where you work or volunteer at. If your organization is not inviting towards new member, how can you ever expect people to want to remain.

You get what you pay for holds true. If you treat people unfairly only the "bad apples" will stick around. If you want quality employees then you need to train them properly.

I don't know how a first aid squad works as we don't have them here. However, in my state you need to have established SOP's / SOG's in order to get your business license.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
I think what you're doing is sensible and constructive. You're offering a solution, instead of just complaining. You're not saying that your version of SOPs is necessarily complete; it's just a start. Let the officers and members build on that.

OP
OP
traumaluv2011

traumaluv2011

Forum Lieutenant
Do volunteers have some form of medical direction?
In the state of New Jersey? No. We act purely on standing orders. If paramedics are requested, they do have medical direction. If we do have a severe patient and no paramedics, we do have phone numbers for the hospitals if needed.

bahnrokt

Forum Lieutenant
How long are terms for officers? If its yearly I suggest running for a position this fall. Training officer sounds like a good role for you.

While you jumping in and writing your own SOPs may be rough politically, you may be able to skirt the issue by building a new member training sheet that puts a lot of your unwritten guidelines on paper. We had an issue with a trainee who was a horrid driver but wanted to drive the rig worse than anything. 2 or 3 newer members were cleared ahead of him and he kept asking "what do I have to do?". Our approval process was just based on our Capt clearing you. So I wrote up a 1 page Driver Trainee Evaluation Form for driver trainers to fill out after a run with a trainee.
Top of form was run number, nature of call, date, priority, etc.
Then it had 15 or so questions
Did the trainee know where equipment was?
Did the trainee drive at appropriate speeds and exercise proper judgement?
Did the trainee know proper radio procedures? Etc etc

If No was checked for any the instructor was asked to explain why and explain how they explained the proper procedure to the trainee.

Later I also wrote one for new EMTs. The nice thing is it puts the officer in the mindset of training, constructive criticism and helping vs yelling.

OP
OP
traumaluv2011

traumaluv2011

Forum Lieutenant
I'm not quite sure I'm eligible. It is yearly though. I got my EMT four months ago (I've been on the squad for over a year though). The requirements are to be on the squad as an EMT for at least a year and to have at least ICS 100, 200, and 300. I have 100, 200, 700 & 800 and I am taking a 300 and possibly 400 course by the end of the year. They have been known to let a few rules slide so we'll see. The sergeant they have now didn't meet the first criteria as well.

This could actually work as an introductory to our procedures as newbies as well. I will have to talk to the officers and see what they say when it is finished.

The training officer they have now is a course coordinator for the EMT program at a nearby hospital, so I don't think I would win in the elections.

Last edited by a moderator:

bahnrokt

Forum Lieutenant
"As a new EMT and member of the squad I have a few ideas that could improve our QI and shorten the time it takes to get new emts cleared and working."

OP
OP
traumaluv2011

traumaluv2011

Forum Lieutenant
"As a new EMT and member of the squad I have a few ideas that could improve our QI and shorten the time it takes to get new emts cleared and working."
Couldn't have worded it any better. Thank you very much.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Yea they are enforcing unwritten SOPs. How can you expect someone to know what to do when there is no written SOP? Everything is taught as you respond to calls. But most of them don't teach very well. So I figure if they are written down, there won't be any more issues of new members being yelled at.
If the SOPs aren't written, than they don't exist. Plain and simple, if the rules aren't shown to you on paper, in advance, than they don't exist. anyone who thinks that unwritten rules can actually be applied and enforced is living in a fantasy world.

I have been in EMS for 15 years (give or take a few months), and when I joined my local squad, this is exactly how it was. I was told "do what you think is right, and when you are wrong, we will correct you." I had been doing this for 15 years, in a busy agency, which this was my job, and this place was stuck in the 70s and 80s and a complete joke. suffice it to say, the bylaws sucked, the captain was working on codifying the SOPs and bringing them up to date, and the dinosaurs were making the place a disaster. Suffice it to say, after being the most active member for 2 months, I quit in disgust (because of the dinosaurs) and wished the captain good luck on his uphill battle for changes and improvements.

Again, you can try to make the change, but after being an EMT for 4 months and on the squad for a year, without the support of your captain and line officers and agency leaders, i wouldn't waste my time.

BTW, don't take ICS 300 and 400 yet. give yourself a few years. not that they aren't good classes (300 is ok and designed for line officers, 400 is booooring but a great networking class, and is designed for chief level officers), but they are more usefully when you have a little experience in this field.

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
You guys need to get Written SOGs. Because right now, it's not that you don't have written SOGs, you have no SOGs.

I would write some up and see if the officers like the idea. But at the end of the day, if they don't like them and/or are unwilling to enforce them, your department is doomed to fail.

EMT Dan

Forum Probie
Like someone else mentioned, it could get political.

One thing I learned the hard way is, if you're new and you try to do something actionable, some of the older guys tend to take it the wrong way. So if you want to do something like write SOPs - not a bad idea at all - find a way to do it where they don't think you're trying to be the new guy telling the older guys that you know better.

It seems silly, but I've seen it happen.

csfd188

Forum Ride Along
I agree! I am a FD Chief which also operates EMS. I have taken ICS 300 and 400; its my opinion that some solid ICS experience should be gained before jumping right into these courses.

Anyone that is involved in the emergency services industry knows that there has to be rules, sops, guidlines, and and or bylaws depending on your agency structure. There are many volunteer agencies that are in this same situation. We all know what should be done but, thats not what is done. For leadership in such a vital organization to ignore having guidlines that effect operations is not only unprofessional but; is very risky. These are reasons why law suits happen.

Have you tried coming up with a list of questions or situations that would be handled by a solid SOP then taking that to a line officer? Ask for proof on paper how these can be handled. Start subtle sometimes pushing forward can hurt those who have put in so much time.