Immature EMTs

Aerin-Sol

Forum Captain
This is more of a rant than a constructive post.

Other EMTs who act like they are too good to help a patient with anything not explicitly in the EMS scope are so annoying. I took a very nice patient home yesterday. He was bedbound and his caregiver wasn't completely mobile either. The patient asked us to help get a chux under him, and another EMT there acted *SO* immature about it. He made faces when the patient was turned away from him, he made the process much harder by refusing to actually touch the patient, and when we got back to the truck he made a few comments about how gross the whole experience had been. It was so annoying! Here was this patient who was fully oriented, mid-40s, having to humble himself by asking us to help him get padding under him in case he soiled himself, and this EMT was completely immature and unprofessional about it because he had to see another male's derriere. Ugggg!!!!

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
Aside from the comments in the truck, I agree about the immaturity.

The truck, at least to me, is the area where emts, and paramedics are able to speak freely.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
A

Aerin-Sol

Forum Captain
Aside from the comments in the truck, I agree about the immaturity.

The truck, at least to me, is the area where emts, and paramedics are able to speak freely.

I agree, but "omg eww butt!!!!" is immature regardless of where it's said.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I agree, but "omg eww butt!!!!" is immature regardless of where it's said.

That immaturity isn't limited to EMTs. There are medics out there that act the same exact way.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Not a scope issue but one of upbringing and maturity.

Then, again, when was the lat time you had a "butt" class?B)

Monkey

Forum Lieutenant
Considering the average age of most EMT's and Medics, it's not surprising. Maturity comes from age and experience, and twentysomethings have neither.

Then again, I know some older EMT's that aren't much better, but they're inexperienced in the field so I chalk it up to that.

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
Considering the average age of most EMT's and Medics, it's not surprising. Maturity comes from age and experience, and twentysomethings have neither.

Then again, I know some older EMT's that aren't much better, but they're inexperienced in the field so I chalk it up to that.

I agree that it comes from experience (to a point), but wholeheartedly disagree that it comes from age.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member

Don't blanket statement younger people please. There are plenty of younger EMTs and medics on here that are very mature for their age.

To say that a 'twentysomething' emt/medic have no maturity, is disrespectful and rude, to be honest, borderline immature as well.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Don't blanket statement younger people please. There are plenty of younger EMTs and medics on here that are very mature for their age.

To say that a 'twentysomething' emt/medic have no maturity, is disrespectful and rude, to be honest, borderline immature as well.

I'm only 19. I started running medical calls at 14. I have never been called immature or anything near that. Age has nothing to do with how a person acts. It all depends on how they were raised and themselves as a person.

Monkey

Forum Lieutenant
I did NOT mean ALL young EMT's are immature, so I do apologize.

There are those that are, but it usually comes from experience, such as you stated firefite.

I didn't mean to offend anyone, and I do realize there are older immature EMT's but it's "normally" the younger ones, which to be honest is just normal.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
No worries. Sorry I kinda snapped in that post, no offense taken :) Firefite I agree about how you were raised. I've been an EMT since 18, I'm 21 now.

Monkey

Forum Lieutenant
exactly.

You also have to understand the sheer numbers I see on a regular basis of new and student EMT's, so I guess I'm inundated by numbers, so see things a tad differently.

It's easy to spot the younger mature ones, but they are few and far between sadly, especially in this part of the world. I do not expect an 19 or 20 year old to be over the top mature, I'd be an idiot to think that way. :)

It is what it is, it's up to the more experienced ones to set the example, regardless of age in years. It's what makes the immature ones mature... right? :)

JPINFV

Gadfly

Not+Sure+if+serious.jpg

Amycus

Forum Lieutenant
When I'm on a call? I'm 100% "treat everyone as if they were your Grandma" bedside type manners, to the patient and family.

When I'm off the call or back in the truck? I'll likely crack some jokes or poke fun at what I can, or my partner might.

It's part of what keeps you sane in this job: Having a great partner to talk to, and being able to keep everything in perspective. People have different ways to cope, that's one of them.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
Brown thoroughly believes that people who are older and have gotten some life experience make exponentially better Ambulance Officers.

Those who do not have the appropriate amount of experience for such a role are disproportionatly represented by the young

Monkey

Forum Lieutenant
Brown thoroughly believes that people who are older and have gotten some life experience make exponentially better Ambulance Officers.

Those who do not have the appropriate amount of experience for such a role are disproportionatly represented by the young

^^^^^ what he said, LOL ^^^^^^

PC Comms

Forum Ride Along
Let me ask something, if I may. Did you talk to this individual afterwards about their conduct? If not, then part of the problem is you. I know you may not want to hear that, but its the truth. There's an old saying that goes "If you aren't part of the solution, you're part of the problem". It is our responsibility to step up and be a mentor to immature people in our field, regardless of whether they are younger or older than us. When I have someone ride my rig and they act like that, I take them aside when we get back to the squad and tell them in a NICE way that their behavior was inappropriate, and WHY it was. If the problem persists, I speak with an officer or the Captain and have them address the person as well. If someone doesn't tell them that they are acting inappropriately, then how are they going to fix the problem? Just my $0.02

OP
OP
A

Aerin-Sol

Forum Captain
Let me ask something, if I may. Did you talk to this individual afterwards about their conduct? If not, then part of the problem is you. I know you may not want to hear that, but its the truth. There's an old saying that goes "If you aren't part of the solution, you're part of the problem". It is our responsibility to step up and be a mentor to immature people in our field, regardless of whether they are younger or older than us. When I have someone ride my rig and they act like that, I take them aside when we get back to the squad and tell them in a NICE way that their behavior was inappropriate, and WHY it was. If the problem persists, I speak with an officer or the Captain and have them address the person as well. If someone doesn't tell them that they are acting inappropriately, then how are they going to fix the problem? Just my $0.02

I don't think his attitude could be fixed with a discussion. Anyone who is involved in patient care and gets visibly disgusted by someone's naked rear end isn't going to be receptive to/improved by "hey, don't be disgusted by people's body."

PC Comms

Forum Ride Along
I don't think his attitude could be fixed with a discussion. Anyone who is involved in patient care and gets visibly disgusted by someone's naked rear end isn't going to be receptive to/improved by "hey, don't be disgusted by people's body."

You don't know unless you try. Look, I'm not trying to break your balls. All I'm saying is put forth a little effort and try to guide and educate them instead of simply dismissing them as a lost cause. Its not only bad for them, but for the image of your squad or company if they continue with that sort of attitude.

Scout

Para-Noid
Hey, I pride myself on being immature. Life is not fun if you cant act like a child.

I am also on occasion professional.