I'm looking for advice: Salutations

SwansonJohn99

Forum Probie
I'm an EMT student in Wisconsin and in class we talked about talking with patients. It wasn't a long discussion but the Instructor emphasized that we should always call someone Mr./Mrs. Smith, Sir, Ma'am etc. My question is, and it didn't occur to me until later, What about when the patient is my age (20) or around there? Do I still call them sir/ma'am or can I talk to them I I would to someone my own age, more casually i.e. "Man, etc." We discussed pediatrics, as I recall, first name, talk soft, carry teddy bears on the rigs but not people our own age. Thoughts?

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Call them "Mr./Mrs. Smith, Sir, Ma'am etc." Don't ever call them "man, dude, bro" etc. Be polite, be courteous, be professional.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
I somewhat agree with Chimpie. Be courteous, be professional...however, being professional to me means you must have the ability to adapt to your audience. Sometimes, it is very necessary to change your language, your vocabulary and use slang in order to communicate effectively and to build rapport in a short amount of time.

We simply need to be a word chameleon at times. If you cannot, that is fine, but I have zero issue with an attempt to connect by changing your language or how you address someone. You do what works and what needs to be done.

Much like my business meetings, my presentations and other events...I dress for the occasion and I speak to how my audience would receive me best.

HH1251

Forum Crew Member
I agree with both of the post above. I especially liked what akflightmedic had to say about being able to adapt to your audience. Those who are able to communicate with a variety of people often do well in this field.

OP
OP
SwansonJohn99

SwansonJohn99

Forum Probie
I agree with both of the post above. I especially liked what akflightmedic had to say about being able to adapt to your audience. Those who are able to communicate with a variety of people often do well in this field.
That's not my problem. In my current job I communicate with all kinds of people all the time, especially the elderly, and communication isn't a problem. I just didn't want to screw up in the field. Thanks for the response. :)

SpecialK

Forum Captain
I just ask people what their name is, if they say "Mr Bloggs" then I call them Mr Bloggs, if they say "John" I call them that.

I call old ladies "love" or "dear" all the time or call somebody else "mate" in the context of conversation, nobody seems to care.

If I went around calling people "sir" or "ma'am" they'd look at me weird.

I was told Call Handlers in Control are prohibited from using such terms which to me is pointless micromanagement gone mad!

OP
OP
SwansonJohn99

SwansonJohn99

Forum Probie
I just ask people what their name is, if they say "Mr Bloggs" then I call them Mr Bloggs, if they say "John" I call them that.

I call old ladies "love" or "dear" all the time or call somebody else "mate" in the context of conversation, nobody seems to care.

If I went around calling people "sir" or "ma'am" they'd look at me weird.

I was told Call Handlers in Control are prohibited from using such terms which to me is pointless micromanagement gone mad!
So in essence the test answer is "Everyone is always sir or ma'am" and in real life it's "Talk to them like a normal human being?"

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Every adult is sir or ma'am, until they ask to be called by something else.

Kids are "little man" or "hun".

HH1251

Forum Crew Member
Is it common in the industry then? We were told to try to keep family out of the module as much as possible. Front passenger seat if at all. I can see why a department or service would make the exception of course.
I dont mind if the patient is stable. Also it depe ds how young/old they are. Most of the time I have the rider up front in the passenger seat.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
So in essence the test answer is "Everyone is always sir or ma'am" and in real life it's "Talk to them like a normal human being?"
Exactly. If someone tells you their name is "John", no one is going to sue you for actually calling them John.

And yes, for little kids especially having a parent in back can be a huge calming measure (or at least less terrifying than separating the already scared 4 yo from their mom or dad needlessly). For most adult patients we try to have the family follow up POV vs riding in the ambulance, and then if they do want to ride in we will usually put them up front in the cab.

I say "usually" because there's no hard or fast rules, you have to adjust to the given situation. For example, if that 4 yo is really sick/hurt you probably won't want family in the back with you especially if the medic takes a fire rider or whatever. Or if your adult pt needs their brother to translate it might be a good idea to have him in the back. Logic and common sense rule here in making that determination.

SpecialK

Forum Captain
The Health and Disability Commissioner's Code of Consumer Rights includes the right to have a support person present unless it will interfere with treatment. This has never been a problem for me personally, provided we exclude the drunk scrote mates of some yob who has fallen over pissed. With children specifically of course they want mum or dad present, and mum or dad want to be present. I've worked a paediatric cardiac arrest with the mother watching. Didn't bother me at all, if it were my child I'd want to see what was happening. Mum or dad or whomever usually sits in the ****ie seat.

OP
OP
SwansonJohn99

SwansonJohn99

Forum Probie
The Health and Disability Commissioner's Code of Consumer Rights includes the right to have a support person present unless it will interfere with treatment. This has never been a problem for me personally, provided we exclude the drunk scrote mates of some yob who has fallen over pissed. With children specifically of course they want mum or dad present, and mum or dad want to be present. I've worked a paediatric cardiac arrest with the mother watching. Didn't bother me at all, if it were my child I'd want to see what was happening. Mum or dad or whomever usually sits in the ****ie seat.
Wow. Where is the ****ie seat in an ambulance? Is it the rear facing one or the fold down on the left?