I'm a new member-thoughts?

MS.EMT

Forum Ride Along
Hello, I am going to be starting EMT course work in may. I am 39 now & wondering how many others may have started this career later in life as I am. I have a 4 yo special needs son with a lot of medical issues and frankly his life is what has geared me toward a career in the health field. I have watched him go through many traumatic experiences & noticed I have an ability to attend to emergency situations and "not fall apart" I would assume that is a good quality in this line of work.

If I can focus on what my own son needs to survive the situations he has, I would think I can do the same for strangers. The only medical background I have is with his care (which is CP, trach, GJ-tube & seizures. The dx's should give you an idea of the situations we have had with him. He is very stable now and doing much better, but the rough times with him health wise & the way I saw myself respond to it, has led me to this type of career I think will best suit me.

I was initially looking into nursing but the reasons I choose not to is a whole different topic. Just curious what you think....of my age, background any other thoughts you may have I am curious to know how you would feel if you had to work with me some day (the old bag) Really not an old bag just not looking forward to 40.
BTY, after completing the EMT-B course this summer, I would like to start the paramedic course in the fall. I am serious about this being a career & it only took me 39 years to figure out what I wanted to be when I grew up.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
I know people way older than you who took an EMT-B class. Age is no excuse not to take the class.

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
Hello and welcome! :) I can tell you that you are FAR from alone in starting a career in EMS later in life. I'm currently enrolled in an EMT course and most of the other students are middle-aged with families. Several of them already have degrees totally unrelated to EMS. There is one man in my class who I believe is in his fifties. So I would not worry about sticking out... I've heard that most other EMT programs have a significant number of students over 30. In my class the younger people are the minority.

Your experiences with your son will definitely prove helpful to you in your EMS journey. My dad is a single father, he has epilepsy and I'm an only child so dealing with his seizures alone and being in and out of the emergency room regularly inspired me to pursue a future in EMS. I have taught my classmates and even my teachers, who are experienced paramedics, a thing or two about epilepsy.

Think about it... most of the people in your class will have never seen someone seize, worked someone with CP, or cared for someone with a tube. Not only will you have more knowledge about these fairly common conditions, but you will have a level of understanding and empathy for families affected by those conditions that few EMS providers will ever have. If you pursue a career in EMS it's extremely likely that you will care for patients with CP, and I'll bet that your experiences will make you a better caregiver in those situations.

Good luck with your class!

Last edited by a moderator:

Onceamedic

Forum Asst. Chief
I am a paramedic student. I will be 50 in less than a month and I graduate in May (hopefully).. look at it this way - you are going to get older anyway.. might as well do it becoming something you want to be..

PS.. I was the #1 student in my class last semester...

midway199

Forum Probie
I just turned 40 last September, and I'm not happy about it. I think this coming September, I'll try 35, or maybe something less. Anyhoo...

I've recently decided to pursue a career change into EMS myself. AND I live in the western suburbs of Chicagoland. AND my initials are MS! Too freaky!

I've spoken with a number of people (including sage members of this board) who have confirmed that age is not an issue for starting EMS training.

I've started every paragraph of this post with "I", which is bad form, but I'm too lazy to do anything about it. But I digress...

Congratulations on your decision to study EMS. Start brushing up on your study skills if you haven't studied for some time. I recommend immersing yourself in an anatomy and physiology book, and go ahead and get a copy of whatever text you'll be studying in May and start familiarizing yourself with it. Why wait?

Folks here are nice and there are some really, really experienced EMT's here to learn from. You can learn (gleen?) a lot just reading the posts as they occur.

MS

RUB_R_NEKIN

Forum Ride Along
SOOOO glad you asked this question. I start EMT class in the fall and can't wait. I have always wanted to do this but never had the guts! This will be a complete career change for me...my current employment is a kindergarten teacher.

Outbac1

Forum Asst. Chief
Absolutely go for it. I started my Primary Care Paramedic course two days after my 43 birthday, seven years ago. I have not regretted it at all. In fact I am now half way through my Advanced Care Paramedic course. Our courses are a bit different here, (Canada). With hard work you should do well.
The only regret you might have, is having killed off a few million brain cells when you were younger. As you get older you need every one you can get.:lol:

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
the only restriction i ever give anybody, regardless of age, sex, weight, mobility etc is the following:

can you do the job? the lifting, carying, kneeling. the mental stress. the physical stress from long shifts with no sleep and bad calls?

if you can do the job, then go for it. if you cant, thanks for the interest.

btw, just curious but if your not even a basic student yet, why does your current training indicate paramedic?

OP
OP
MS.EMT

MS.EMT

Forum Ride Along
Thanks for all the encouragement, It really helped ease my mind. I was very curious about the age thing although I wouldnt let it stop me anyway.

I've recently decided to pursue a career change into EMS myself. AND I live in the western suburbs of Chicagoland. AND my initials are MS! Too freaky!

My initals are not MS. they are CM, the MS. is for Miss, or Mrs, it's what people call me even though I am married, I just tried to think of a quick user name, it's all could come up with.

can you do the job? the lifting, carying, kneeling. the mental stress. the physical stress from long shifts with no sleep and bad calls?
The long shifts I know I can do because for a very long time I have been without nursing help for my son and had numerous sleepless nights, long days very stressful, as for the physical questions, I know I can do that too, I may have to go back to the gym to shed the extra 10-15lbs I have but I don't have to far to go with that. Most of my aches are from not lifting properly & snuggling my 44lb son, but I figure training will help with proper lifting techniques ect...
btw, just curious but if your not even a basic student yet, why does your current training indicate paramedic?

Because I made a mistake on my profile, I switched it.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
well if your confident in your ability to do the job, then carry on and welcome!

emergmedik

Forum Probie
Age is only a number......if you're confident you can handle the physical aspect of the job, the emotional aspect of the job and the occasional BS of the job then I say GO 4 IT AND MORE POWER TO YA! We have several "older" EMT's on our service, myself included. I'll be 38 in about a week and we all work well together, young and "oldies but goodies" alike..... my only question is with having a child with disabilites, will you be able to devote the time necessary to do the job???? just a thought :)........... Best of Luck to you!

MSDeltaFlt

RRT/NRP
My best friend is 38yo father and is finishing his first year in medical school. Go for it.

milhouse

Forum Crew Member
age isnt a big deal you can save a life (or at least improve that quality of a life.) the same as someone younger and some of the older people could and will run circles around us "younger folk" lol (as im 21 and seen it with an older medic lol)

but the perfect example of age not being an issue is when i was in my EMT-b class we had a lady that was 60 and wanted to do it for education and to try something different she enjoyed keeping her mind active. and we called her our token old person and she loved it lol. i kinda miss her company in that class lol. now i dont know if she's moved on to start a career or not. but just to give you an idea of what ive seen.

OP
OP
MS.EMT

MS.EMT

Forum Ride Along
Age is only a number......if you're confident you can handle the physical aspect of the job, the emotional aspect of the job and the occasional BS of the job then I say GO 4 IT AND MORE POWER TO YA! We have several "older" EMT's on our service, myself included. I'll be 38 in about a week and we all work well together, young and "oldies but goodies" alike..... my only question is with having a child with disabilites, will you be able to devote the time necessary to do the job???? just a thought :)........... Best of Luck to you!

Thats a good question, I have thought a lot about it. In fact, the time involved in his care is a reason I am having a difficult time finding just a typical everyday job. Because of the complex needs he has, he does qualify for private duty nursing care. Having to rely on 4 other people has been challenging and made me an unreliable employee (I can't take him to day care). I have coverage for him 8hours a day(5 days a week) and 10 hours overnight (7-days a week) My husband works also, so my thinking was, I can work night shift, if I have a nurse call in, my husband is home & I can still work. I just hope everyone staffed here shows up to get me through school.

My son didn't have nursing care until he got his tracheostomy 1&1/2 years ago. Since then this is the first he have been fully staffed days & nights. So the long hours & little to no sleep in caring for him are very familiar. I do know what families & parents go through in time of crisis & hope it will help make me a better emt. I know I have a lot on my plate & I am confident about my abilities but I do agree it isn't going to be easy & I am not sure if this will work for me or my family but I never know until I try, right?

OP
OP
MS.EMT

MS.EMT

Forum Ride Along
P.S. You have given me a lot of insight & I truly appreciate it. I defiantly need to start up my exercise program again & include strength training. Get the ole creaky bones to quit creaking. Also your questions give me a lot to think about when I do go looking for a job, I am sure the same questions will come up. In my home I need to have a plan & a back up plan to do ANYTHING!!!
Thank again:)