Illuminated Address Numbers (or lack of)

canuckfred

Forum Ride Along
Hi,
I'm new here and am interested in EMS from the point of view of response times - in particular LED address numbers and their impact on response times. Ya see, I'm test marketing some LED address numbers – they're the brightest in the world – and before I invest a lot of money in them, I need to know that I'm on the right path.

I did a search here for "illuminated address numbers" and brought up some great past discussions on address numbers/maps/GPS.

The consensus seemed to be:
"bottom line: until they need help and the fire/police/ems unit can't find their location, they won't change, because they will feel it isn't needed. (illuminated address numbers)

. . . sucks, but that's the way people are."

When I started researching LED address numbers I thought the market was HUGE, as most house addresses are invisible at night. But I'm thinking maybe I was wrong, that the market's actually quite small due to the above–people just living in denial.

So many people I speak with think GPS has made the need for visible address numbers obsolete. Having done courier work for a few months I know this is not true, and the past posts here seem to agree. But it's a nutty thing, the majority of people just seem to want to keep their head in the sand on this.

I feel illuminated address numbers are almost as important as smoke detectors, but I guess I'm biased.

Anyway, sorry for such a long first post. Any comments/feedback would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Fred

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Some of the houses we respond to have illuminated numbers and it does make it a lot more easy to find the house. Our GPS system that we use just gets us in the general location of the house.

I am all for the idea of having houses with them. However I'm in the same boat as you (as far as thinking process goes). The chronic uses of the 911 system more than likely wont use it and the non chronic users of the 911 system will feel it is unnecessary.

One of the reasons I try not to work night shifts is due to trying to locate houses in the dark.

Anonymous

Forum Captain
Hi,
I'm new here and am interested in EMS from the point of view of response times - in particular LED address numbers and their impact on response times. Ya see, I'm test marketing some LED address numbers – they're the brightest in the world – and before I invest a lot of money in them, I need to know that I'm on the right path.

I did a search here for "illuminated address numbers" and brought up some great past discussions on address numbers/maps/GPS.

The consensus seemed to be:
"bottom line: until they need help and the fire/police/ems unit can't find their location, they won't change, because they will feel it isn't needed. (illuminated address numbers)

. . . sucks, but that's the way people are."

When I started researching LED address numbers I thought the market was HUGE, as most house addresses are invisible at night. But I'm thinking maybe I was wrong, that the market's actually quite small due to the above–people just living in denial.

So many people I speak with think GPS has made the need for visible address numbers obsolete. Having done courier work for a few months I know this is not true, and the past posts here seem to agree. But it's a nutty thing, the majority of people just seem to want to keep their head in the sand on this.

I feel illuminated address numbers are almost as important as smoke detectors, but I guess I'm biased.

Anyway, sorry for such a long first post. Any comments/feedback would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Fred

Where I worked we had district maps that included the address for each house. Made it easy. "3rd house on right" etc.

Springbrookmap.gif

TheLocalMedic

Grumpy Badger
As a marketing thought... since the idea you're trying to sell is that having an LED address is about both safety and convenience, perhaps the best way of getting the word out in local markets is through pseudo-PSA types of ads. When you or a loved need help, seconds can matter. But many people's homes are poorly marked, making it difficult for emergency responders to... blah blah blah, throw in some shots of EMS, fire, law enforcement stuff.

Maybe also talk to local emergency departments to promote your idea and see if you can get them to also help promote your product. After all, they know exactly which homes/areas need better marking, and they could direct you to these areas.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Sounds like the perfect public outreach project for a service with a little extra cash.

Pittsburgh Proud

Forum Lieutenant
I'm pre gps era and don't depend on them. I'm a 25 year ems worker and a 20 year fulltime sign maker. First thing I think of what the cost is? I know fire departments here will sell a 040 peice of allumin with refective material on it and refective numbers. Hit it with your spotlight and they scream!
I can't help but to think it would be a hard sell. All about cost? Even if you sell to the town, the firehalls or to personal folks directly.

So what do you sell them for? As a sign guy I know led are hot and we can get them cheap.
Like to hear more.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Hell, I'd be happy if people just had reflective house numbers on their mailbox… Like the county code requires.

Unless you're giving them away, I don't see anybody buying LED house numbers, unless they're looking for something to spend money on in the sky mall catalog.

An admirable idea, just don't see it going anywhere.

Pittsburgh Proud

Forum Lieutenant
Hell, I'd be happy if people just had reflective house numbers on their mailbox… Like the county code requires.

Unless you're giving them away, I don't see anybody buying LED house numbers, unless they're looking for something to spend money on in the sky mall catalog.

An admirable idea, just don't see it going anywhere.

My thoughts and he never posted again with a price...

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
I would be nice, but since response times arent dont affect outcome in a clinically significant way, the response time card isnt one to play to those in the business.

Now for selling to the average buyer, thats a different story and one you might gain traction with

EMDispatch

IAED EMD-Q/EMT
I'll agree with what DEmedic said,

The vast majority of 911 callers just don't think about location issues. They believe the second they call, I know exactly where they are down to the foot of ground, and with VOIP systems I still run the frequent risk of collecting the wrong ALI and ANI. People just don't think about or want to prepare for such events. It never ceases to amaze me how many people tell me they'd put on the outside light, but it's been burned out for weeks... Let alone the number that tell me they don't have an address posted.

OP
OP
C

canuckfred

Forum Ride Along
LED Address Numbers

Thanks for all the interesting replies.

Cheers,

Canuckfred

Last edited by a moderator: