IFT to 911 Los Angeles County?

energystar

Forum Crew Member
Given your location I would really try to get a job outside of LA or OC so it might be a good thing CARE didn't work out at the moment. This is just my opinion but for LACo there really isn't a better company to work for due to benefits, equipment and people. If I lived closer to San Bernardino or Riverside county I would do everything possible to get on with AMR out there.

I know for Kern and Ventura you need to be certified in there county. I believe San Diego county requires you to be certified there as well (only 75% sure on that one).

TRSpeed

Forum Asst. Chief
Yeah, there's still 5 other 911 companies in the county, and I got apps at two of them. As far as the other three, well I keep hearing more and more negatives about AmeriCare and Gerber, and McCormick you need a referral just to get considered for an interview.

Plus with the commute to those three it'd be worthwhile to look outside LA Co. I know OC is as messed up as LA Co is and that OCEMS requires a county card. But what about the surrounding counties? I know Inland Counties EMA (San Bernardino, Inyo, and Mono Counties) is fine with just the state card, but what about Riverside, San Diego, Kern, Imperial, Ventura, etc?

You just need a state card for riverside. We have been hiring a ton lately aswell.

OP
OP
Jim37F

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
I got the email from AMR yesterday inviting me to call to schedule the written test (yay!) However, every time I try to call, it rings a few times then goes to an answering machine. I called a couple times yesterday afternoon and again this morning all within their normal business hours, and all got the exact same result. Eventually I left a message saying my name, that I was invited to schedule a test, when I'm available and my phone number. I also sent an email saying the same thing, so hopefully I'll hear back soon.

OP
OP
Jim37F

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Got a call back from AMR today, I got their written test scheduled for next Tuesday!

Right on, there's a personality test that's part of it as well so be careful.

iftmedic

Forum Lieutenant
Also make sure you put some money aside. Because you make no money while you do your Orientation and FTO time roughly 6 weeks. I unfortunately couldn't do it and had to resign a few weeks ago. Only thing I got out of it was my Paramedic ICEMA accreditation and really behind on my bills...

OP
OP
Jim37F

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Some little advice. Use either strongly agree or disagrees. Nothing in between.

Sounds like the mistake I made when applying to Care lol. I'd assume don't touch the "neither disagree or agree" option either, right?

Tito

Forum Ride Along
Does anyone in the Socal area work for CARE or LIFELINE that can let me know any information about the companies?

OP
OP
Jim37F

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Don't know much about Lifeline, other than they're not 911, there's only 6 911 privates in the county, and Care is one of those, and from everything I've heard is well respected

OP
OP
Jim37F

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Also make sure you put some money aside. Because you make no money while you do your Orientation and FTO time roughly 6 weeks. I unfortunately couldn't do it and had to resign a few weeks ago. Only thing I got out of it was my Paramedic ICEMA accreditation and really behind on my bills...

Really? Not at all? I can see during orientation, but not during FTO? Is that just Inland Counties or would Irwindale do that too?

Really? Not at all? I can see during orientation, but not during FTO? Is that just Inland Counties or would Irwindale do that too?

Irwindale's orientation, from what I've heard, is only a week long. Also, you do get paid during FTO time.

energystar

Forum Crew Member
Yeah that sounds really crappy and almost illegal. If you are in the field learning that sounds like work to me which should be paid. Do the FTOs get extra pay for teaching trainees?

TRSpeed

Forum Asst. Chief
Yeah that sounds really crappy and almost illegal. If you are in the field learning that sounds like work to me which should be paid. Do the FTOs get extra pay for teaching trainees?

He ment he was not making much since during orientation its 8hr days 4 week.
Yes they do get a stipend.

OP
OP
Jim37F

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Took and passed the written test earlier this week. Carlos the HR guy said that the next step is to come in and do a skills test followed by an interview. He said they do orientations once a month, and they've already filled the July oneso I'd probably have to wait until August (I could hear the other HR rep calling people to schedule interviews while I was testing), but don't be surprised if I get a call back to interview for the July orientation.

Well lo and behold, on Wednesday I get a missed call from one of the other HR reps. (I had my phone on do not disturb mode during a pt transport at my current IFT job). She didn't leave a voice mail and every time I've called back I got her voice mail, so I left a message and will probably email, so hopefully I'll get a skills test and interview in time for the July orientation.

Still waiting to hear back from Schaefer though.

cspinebrah

Forum Crew Member
sorry to hop off topic but i had a question about AMR, i test with them soon on their skills and was wondering what to expect.

and as for McCormick one of my close buddys just got picked up with them. all he did is go one and show them that he was interested. he went through a lot to get hired but he ended up getting in, mind you they pay about 8.75 an hour :sad: