IFT companies

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
You know, I've never heard a normally WC bound patient say that the gurney is more comfortable. I see your point, but I don't know that saying ambulance transport is more comfortable is a good argument. Sure there are some, like the hip fractures and such, but for those who can sit, probably not so much.

OP
OP
njff/emt

njff/emt

Forum Crew Member
wow, didn't expect to get so much replies., i'm getting sick(er) of mine mainly because of certain dispatchers., I would also like to have a permanent partner., Right now i have 5 partners, i'm cool with all, but it meant i had to get used to their styles, plus 2 of em drive the rig as if it was a drag racer., I am currently working on getting a real ems job, the only reason i started at an IFT company was simply because i was jobless and had alot of bills to pay., Anyway gettin back to the dispatchers, here's an example, they wanted me and my partner to go from Toms River to New Brunswick in a 1/2 hour when it takes at least 2 hrs depending on traffic., Plus one of them is also starting to get into a silent dispatching phase, and on top of that, acouple of crews brown nose to the dispatchers so they get sent where ever they want., Lastly our manager favors our north office, he sent a majority of new rigs up to them meant for us, we actually take care of our stuff, i can't even count how many times i go up there and see a newer truck with a ton of dings and dents in it.

MDA

Forum Lieutenant
Patient care is patient care (to an extent).
Working IFT's you'll see all kinds of really sick people.

However I'm personally thankful I see transfers once in a blue moon.

On the other hand, working 911 only I see my fair share of b.s. calls that are equally frustrating... and don't get me started on dispatch, lol.

OP
OP
njff/emt

njff/emt

Forum Crew Member
Patient care is patient care (to an extent).
Working IFT's you'll see all kinds of really sick people.

However I'm personally thankful I see transfers once in a blue moon.

On the other hand, working 911 only I see my fair share of b.s. calls that are equally frustrating... and don't get me started on dispatch, lol.

I hear ya, i notice alot of pts i take are the nicest people, and yet have had a hard life(medically speaking), and yet the ones that waste their life away has minimal problems., As far as 911, majority of the IFT "emergencies" are b.s., real 911 at my squad have been some major ones, and of course the occasional lonelyitis/incarceritis here and there.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
wow, didn't expect to get so much replies., i'm getting sick(er) of mine mainly because of certain dispatchers.
don't complain about dispatch until you have actually been in their seat. their job tends to suck, and everyone hates them, even though they are only doing their job as your bosses expect them to do. Or even better, ask your boss to train you to dispatch, it's often an eye opening experience to see why they do certain things that make field people hate them.
I would also like to have a permanent partner., Right now i have 5 partners, i'm cool with all, but it meant i had to get used to their styles, plus 2 of em drive the rig as if it was a drag racer.
permanent partners are awesome, assuming you have an awesome partner who knows what they are doing and whom you get along well with. if you have a sucky partner, being permanently assigned to them, well, sucks. and if your partner drives like a drag racer, and it's unsafe, tell a supervisor. maybe they can correct the problem, but I have had the multiple partners where some scared me when they got behind the wheel. even worse when certain people insist on text messaging while driving.
I am currently working on getting a real ems job, the only reason i started at an IFT company was simply because i was jobless and had alot of bills to pay.
nothing wrong with that, many people start out in IFT before going to 911. if I can help you with that, drop me a PM.
Anyway gettin back to the dispatchers, here's an example, they wanted me and my partner to go from Toms River to New Brunswick in a 1/2 hour when it takes at least 2 hrs depending on traffic.
you can only go so fast, and you should never speed. if it takes you 2 hours, it takes two hours. if supervisors ask why it took 2 hours, you have a reason. don't stress it. you can only handle one job at a time, it's dispatch's job to handle the schedule, yours is to do the job as safely, efficiently, and properly as possible.
Plus one of them is also starting to get into a silent dispatching phase, and on top of that, acouple of crews brown nose to the dispatchers so they get sent where ever they want.
silent dispatching? what is that? they give you a job, you acknowledge it, not exactly rocket science. and if dispatch is doing something they shouldn't, or not doing something they should, write it up and give it to a supervisor. As for the whole brown nosing comment, maybe you should try that? if you get coffee or breakfast, ask them if they want anything. I remember when I used to dispatch, and I would be so happy when a crew was getting food and asked me if I wanted something. esp when I am alone in dispatch, can't go out to get food, can barely go out to pee since i'm solo for 12 hours. I know of companies that have rules against having dispatch asking crews to pick up food for them, but if you offer, they will be happy, trust me, been there and done that.
Lastly our manager favors our north office, he sent a majority of new rigs up to them meant for us, we actually take care of our stuff, i can't even count how many times i go up there and see a newer truck with a ton of dings and dents in it.
hmmm sounds like you work for alert or able lol. just for the record, I bet they say the same thing about you and your crews.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
Silent dispatching is communicating with crews without going over the air, so no one knows who's doing the most jobs and who's not doing any. That way, no one can say that unit one did 10 jobs while unit two did 1, nor can they see a pattern of favoritism between dispatchers and crews. That's how they work at my IFT per diem job.

Anyway, I've seen dispatchers at work and I'd never want to do that. It's too high stress, especially with supervisors breathing down your neck. At my county, there's a fairly constant turnover in dispatch, even with the pension, benefits, etc.

OP
OP
njff/emt

njff/emt

Forum Crew Member
parasite thanks for the constructive criticism, i was venting(had a really bad day), as i mentioned only certain ones, the two main are pretty cool, but their backups kinda suck, probably cause they dont do it alot, anyway about the long distance i called up dispatch and explained how long it was gonna take and they told me keep them posted., 46 nailed the silent dispatching dead on, we use PTT cellphones, majority of the time they're pretty decent, theres only one-two dispatchers that do that, the worst was when the sent over a run on the toughbook never sent the text and asked us if we were on the floor, then they insisted they sent the text which benefit of the doubt the system had a hiccup., I also appreciate the gesture, i'll keep it in mind., As for the IFT co i work for its a pretty big one, i dont wanna say the name simply cause i dont know if my bosses even know this site exists, so i aint taking any chances., As far as doing dispatching, i told my supervisor several times i would do it, but its a really long drive for me., And as for the brown nosing, theres a big difference between doing something out of kindness and being in a little clique, some of the northern crews are really close to the dispatchers., I also forgot to mention they scam medicaid by having my partner thats not certified for logisticare do the run anyway and have someone else who is certified sign it., Another reason why i cant wait to get out of this IFT company.