Ideas on where to work

geotuna93

Forum Probie
Hello,
I was wondering where you all thought I should work. I am looking to work full time and would like to stay somewhere in California. I have 911 and critical care experience and yes I am a basic. I was thinking about McCormick, can anyone tell me what they are like? Also does anyone know anything about AMR Montery in terms of pay/hours?
Thanks

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Critical care experience as a Basic?...

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Critical care experience as a Basic?...
Probably meant being an EMT on a nurse staffed CCT unit. When I worked at PRN years ago I was on a CCT shift that was 2x EMTs and one CCT-RN, one EMT drove, the other was in back assisting the nurse.

Anyways, to the OP, where are you located? I'm assuming somewhere in LA County based on you're asking about McCormick, but where is AMR Montery? Monterey CA is like 3/4 of the way from LA to San Fran, kind of an odd two to mix together..

McCormick EMT currently makes $10.50/hour, mix of mostly 12 and 24 hour shifts (a handful of 8 and other odd hour units) (12 and less hours are straight time for the first 8 hours, time and a half 8-12, double time if held over after 12; 24 hour shifts are straight time pay for the first 40 hours in the week, time and a half after that) Not sure the scheduling for the 12's, but most 24's are on the same Kelly schedule as County Fire (one day on, one off, day on, two off in a row, repeat day on, off, on, 4 days off in a row....XOXOOXOXOOOO), a few 24's that cover Torrance are on 48-96's. Mix of stations and street corner posting. Only 3 ALS units that are dual staffed medic so you'll be on a BLS only unit. Not so bad since we're virtually all 911 response with County Fire, Redondo Beach and Torrance Fire (who's medic units are non-transporting Squads so you'll transport both BLS and ALS 911's), some backup for Compton Fire's BLS ambulances. Handful of IFT's, no dedicated units for those like at Care and other places, we do have Special Event shifts available. You'll be an "Attendant Only" for a few months until you get an EVOC course and can start driving. Dispatch is over the radio and pagers. No MCT's or GPS in the rigs, you are expected to find every call using a Thomas Guide (they'll give you the page number and grid and cross streets with the address) but have Toughbooks and ePCRs. Every rig also has a Nextel PTT phone that is used as a sort of walkie talkie with dispatch if you go away from the rig say at post to grab food. Call volume can be pretty busy, 8-12 transports in a 24hr shift is normal, last shift I had 14. Rigs are mostly new(ish) Type III Mods, with a few Type II vans, all with LED lights, Stryker gurneys (X-Frames, no power cots or loading systems), Stryker or Ferno Stair Chairs, all with the tracks so going downstairs is fairly easy, Zoll AED's, first in bags since we are first on ~40-60% of the time give or take. Each station is fully stocked, kitchen, showers, bedrooms, recliners, large screen tv's with cable or satellite and xBox or PS4 and WiFi....as long as you clean the rig and do your station chores in the morning and meet your "chute times" (one minute from when dispatch calls you to being in the rig on air ready to respond) management doesn't care if you sleep all rest of the day (assuming dispatch lets you lol)

OP
OP
G

geotuna93

Forum Probie
Thanks for the response. I am from So Cal and need to move back. My previous job was per dieum, I left for school and then all they could offer me was my per dieum job back. Got a solid reference from them. I really appreciate the response
Probably meant being an EMT on a nurse staffed CCT unit. When I worked at PRN years ago I was on a CCT shift that was 2x EMTs and one CCT-RN, one EMT drove, the other was in back assisting the nurse.

Anyways, to the OP, where are you located? I'm assuming somewhere in LA County based on you're asking about McCormick, but where is AMR Montery? Monterey CA is like 3/4 of the way from LA to San Fran, kind of an odd two to mix together..

McCormick EMT currently makes $10.50/hour, mix of mostly 12 and 24 hour shifts (a handful of 8 and other odd hour units) (12 and less hours are straight time for the first 8 hours, time and a half 8-12, double time if held over after 12; 24 hour shifts are straight time pay for the first 40 hours in the week, time and a half after that) Not sure the scheduling for the 12's, but most 24's are on the same Kelly schedule as County Fire (one day on, one off, day on, two off in a row, repeat day on, off, on, 4 days off in a row....XOXOOXOXOOOO), a few 24's that cover Torrance are on 48-96's. Mix of stations and street corner posting. Only 3 ALS units that are dual staffed medic so you'll be on a BLS only unit. Not so bad since we're virtually all 911 response with County Fire, Redondo Beach and Torrance Fire (who's medic units are non-transporting Squads so you'll transport both BLS and ALS 911's), some backup for Compton Fire's BLS ambulances. Handful of IFT's, no dedicated units for those like at Care and other places, we do have Special Event shifts available. You'll be an "Attendant Only" for a few months until you get an EVOC course and can start driving. Dispatch is over the radio and pagers. No MCT's or GPS in the rigs, you are expected to find every call using a Thomas Guide (they'll give you the page number and grid and cross streets with the address) but have Toughbooks and ePCRs. Every rig also has a Nextel PTT phone that is used as a sort of walkie talkie with dispatch if you go away from the rig say at post to grab food. Call volume can be pretty busy, 8-12 transports in a 24hr shift is normal, last shift I had 14. Rigs are mostly new(ish) Type III Mods, with a few Type II vans, all with LED lights, Stryker gurneys (X-Frames, no power cots or loading systems), Stryker or Ferno Stair Chairs, all with the tracks so going downstairs is fairly easy, Zoll AED's, first in bags since we are first on ~40-60% of the time give or take. Each station is fully stocked, kitchen, showers, bedrooms, recliners, large screen tv's with cable or satellite and xBox or PS4 and WiFi....as long as you clean the rig and do your station chores in the morning and meet your "chute times" (one minute from when dispatch calls you to being in the rig on air ready to respond) management doesn't care if you sleep all rest of the day (assuming dispatch lets you lol)

I really appreciate the response. I just finished school and my previous job was per diem. I called my boss back and all they had was per diem and I would like to work full time. I went to EMT school in LA and did my ride alongs with McCormick and am looking forward to potentially working for them. As for critical care let me clarify, I was not preforming the critical care it was my partner. We would on a regular basis RSI patients and then wait 1.5 hours for the helo or drive a patient 2+ hours on multiple drips, yes I was in the back helping as necessary . It was a great place to work and I learned a lot and hope to continue to learn with McCormick.