Idea for nasal intubation

ZootownMedic

Forum Lieutenant
The BAAM isn't gonna work on an apneic patient anyways....neither will the stethescope trick, although its a cool one. I had a similar situation last week where a patient went unresponsive and apneic with the teeth clenched. No RSI so nasal intubation or cric would have been my only options. Fortunately I was 2 blocks from the hospital and was able to keep the sats up enough with an NPA. I think nasal intubation is a lost art and definitely a good skill to have. The more confirmation and assistance devices the better.

OP
OP
tchristifulli

tchristifulli

Forum Crew Member
Right, the patient has to be breathing in order to use a baam or stethoscope. Does anybody here fill the cuff with water instead of air? We touched on it in CC school for flight purposes. One of my coworkers said he always uses saline instead of air because it holds the tube down better. It makes sense, but if the cuff breaks where does all that saline go.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Not to play the whole "better than nothing card," but my partner nasally intubated a patient a few weeks ago with a 6.0 tube and she was a fairly large lady. She also had very small nostrils (we could only get a 18 or 20fr NPA I can't remember). The NPA wasn't cutting it and the 6.0 was as big as would fit. So would you rather see a patient with an unprotected airway being single person BVMed or a possibly supraglottic airway in place?

Well, if you are talking about a true supraglottic airway, such as a King or LMA, then that's easily better than BVM ventilations.

But a misplaced ET tube is not an SGA. It might be forcing some air into the lungs, but is also may be forcing some into the gut, and is doing nothing at all to protect against aspiration. Unlike a real SGA, a supraglottic ETT is not secured in place in any way. It could easily move and damage airway structures or slip into the esophagus.

Right, the patient has to be breathing in order to use a baam or stethoscope. Does anybody here fill the cuff with water instead of air? We touched on it in CC school for flight purposes. One of my coworkers said he always uses saline instead of air because it holds the tube down better.

The necessity of that was debunked years ago.

At the altitude helicopters operate (~800-1500 AGL), pressure change inside the cuff is pretty small. And for the short duration of most helicopter transports (<1hr), you aren't looking at anything clinically significant, in terms of affecting tracheal capillary perfusion.

In FW transport, cuff pressures definitely are a factor, both because of the much higher cabin altitudes and because of the typically longer transport duration. But in that case, you will have a cuff manometer to measure cuff pressures.

Plus, NS has been shown to degrade the PVC and cause cuff leaks surprisingly quickly.

How would saline it "hold the the tube down better? Anyone who is having problem with their tube migrating needs to learn to secure it better.

Just fill the cuff with just enough air to have a small leak (~5ml) and secure it really well. If you are transporting at an altitude much higher than that which the cuff was inflated at or for long distance, you really need a manometer.

if the cuff breaks where does all that saline go.

Where would it go?

Merck

Forum Lieutenant
Here nasal intubation is never used and one would be thought a cowboy for even trying. In the OPs case the sats were poor with trismus.

It is dangerous to jump to 'advanced' airways when there are myriad other options available. I commonly see cases where excellent BLS skills would be more than adequate and in many cases better than attempts to secure the advanced airway. This has been a trend in training around here - trying to promote much improved BLS airway management skills. Our ALS do not utilize paralytics and thus this approach is even more important.

When I worked on the street I didn't have RSI, only lido spray, MS, and midaz and we managed to intubate nearly everyone who required it. Failing that simple procedures usually sufficed.

In this case the patient was clamped down with sats of 78. While I'm sure the case ended well to be honest I'd just consider that a good time to cric rather than a blind intubation.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
When I worked on the street I didn't have RSI, only lido spray, MS, and midaz and we managed to intubate nearly everyone who required it.
Not to be an ***....but how exactly is this less cowboy than nasal intubation?!?

Sedating the snot out of a patient (who already has respiratory compromise) without a NMB (a part of the procedure that has been shown to increase chances of success) vs being able to pass a tube without any sedation is playing cowboy? I guess I'm heading for Dodge City.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
The BAAM isn't gonna work on an apneic patient anyways....neither will the stethescope trick, although its a cool one. I had a similar situation last week where a patient went unresponsive and apneic with the teeth clenched. No RSI so nasal intubation or cric would have been my only options. Fortunately I was 2 blocks from the hospital and was able to keep the sats up enough with an NPA. I think nasal intubation is a lost art and definitely a good skill to have. The more confirmation and assistance devices the better.
Nasal intubation probably shouldn't have even have crossed your mind here. Generally, either you can keep the sats up and hope the patient isn't aspirating (please don't think I'm knocking this option) or can't in which case you cut. This isn't the patient to screw around trying to get an apenic nasal intubation on.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Has anyone asked about ETCO2? Breath sounds? Absent epigrastric sounds? If the tube is confirmed by standard measures how can you not call it a good tube? I've never heard of an ETT work as a SGA...yes it's a temporizing measure but how many things do we do that are temporary until definitive care can be provided? Any NTI is going to pulled in the ER eventually and replaced with an oral tube provided there isn't a reason, such as angioedema that prevented it in the first place.

I understand a 5.0 is a short tube and not all are cuffed so remember that as well. Our NTI kits are 6.0 tubes with a trigger, sorry can't remember the fancy name off the top of my head.

Clipper1

Forum Asst. Chief
...and again, the OP simply related that he nasally intubated a patient. There was no mention of the tube not passing the glottis. YOU were the one who SPECULATED that the tube was placed incorrectly. (And I'll define it because you seem to have trouble understanding what I'm writing. Speculation: to form a theory or conjecture about a subject without firm evidence.)

For evidence, lay out all the ETTs you have in your box and look at how the lengths vary for each size. The smaller the size, the shorter the length. You then need to notice where you normally would place an oral ETT. Also notice how the cuffs vary by the brand if you have others available. The size and shape are significant and do have a purpose.

Clipper1

Forum Asst. Chief
The necessity of that was debunked years ago.

At the altitude helicopters operate (~800-1500 AGL), pressure change inside the cuff is pretty small. And for the short duration of most helicopter transports (<1hr), you aren't looking at anything clinically significant, in terms of affecting tracheal capillary perfusion.

In FW transport, cuff pressures definitely are a factor, both because of the much higher cabin altitudes and because of the typically longer transport duration. But in that case, you will have a cuff manometer to measure cuff pressures.

Plus, NS has been shown to degrade the PVC and cause cuff leaks surprisingly quickly.

How would saline it "hold the the tube down better? Anyone who is having problem with their tube migrating needs to learn to secure it better.

Just fill the cuff with just enough air to have a small leak (~5ml) and secure it really well. If you are transporting at an altitude much higher than that which the cuff was inflated at or for long distance, you really need a manometer.

Normal Saline is not to be used in the cuffs of any tube. But, sterile water is routinely used especially for HBO treatments, for some special ETTs like those for neck surgeries which flaps need some extra caution and for many of the trach tubes used for children. The cuff of the Bivona is more porous and is specially designed to use sterile H2O. Many long term trached pediatric will have a cuff with sterile water these days. You do have to monitor the amount of water placed and use just enough for a seal. Ask the parents of these kids or even the kids and they will probably tell you the exact amount of water and why.

Tubes can also be made of nylon, Teflon or silicone rubber and not just PVC.

Clipper1

Forum Asst. Chief
Has anyone asked about ETCO2? Breath sounds? Absent epigrastric sounds? If the tube is confirmed by standard measures how can you not call it a good tube? I've never heard of an ETT work as a SGA...yes it's a temporizing measure but how many things do we do that are temporary until definitive care can be provided? Any NTI is going to pulled in the ER eventually and replaced with an oral tube provided there isn't a reason, such as angioedema that prevented it in the first place.

I understand a 5.0 is a short tube and not all are cuffed so remember that as well. Our NTI kits are 6.0 tubes with a trigger, sorry can't remember the fancy name off the top of my head.

The ETT does not work as a SGA. But, some tubes migrate to a Supraglottic position. Also, if the tube is to short, the cuff is trapped at or in the cords which can cause serious damage.

Without the cuff, it is more like an NP tube and of little use in an adult which would need a decent VT and pressure. Even the infant 3.0 tubes now come with cuffs.

Merck

Forum Lieutenant
usalsfyre:

No question that using vast amounts of sedatives is hazardous and not called for. Things were done that way 10 years ago but much has changed with a shift of focus to improved BLS airway management and better understanding of the effects of the sedation. Also, my point was more what you pointed out in your second post - not the time for a trial nasal intubation. I've been called many things in my career, but cowboy has never been one of them.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
For evidence, lay out all the ETTs you have in your box and look at how the lengths vary for each size. The smaller the size, the shorter the length. You then need to notice where you normally would place an oral ETT. Also notice how the cuffs vary by the brand if you have others available. The size and shape are significant and do have a purpose.

You again refuse to address the fact that at NO POINT did the OP make mention of the tube being placed incorrectly. You continue to blather on about tube size as if you're the only person who ever noticed that they come in (gasp) different lengths and diameter

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Normal Saline is not to be used in the cuffs of any tube. But, sterile water is routinely used especially for HBO treatments, for some special ETTs like those for neck surgeries which flaps need some extra caution and for many of the trach tubes used for children. The cuff of the Bivona is more porous and is specially designed to use sterile H2O. Many long term trached pediatric will have a cuff with sterile water these days. You do have to monitor the amount of water placed and use just enough for a seal. Ask the parents of these kids or even the kids and they will probably tell you the exact amount of water and why.

Tubes can also be made of nylon, Teflon or silicone rubber and not just PVC.

Yeah, and it's also used during laser procedures in the airway, and ETT's come in stainless steel and with copper coatings, as well.

But what does any of that have to do with the question of whether ETT's should routinely be filled with saline in the prehospital environment?

Clipper1

Forum Asst. Chief
Yeah, and it's also used during laser procedures in the airway, and ETT's come in stainless steel and with copper coatings, as well.

But what does any of that have to do with the question of whether ETT's should routinely be filled with saline in the prehospital environment?

I was just responding to your comments.

But, people with water ( not saline) filled trachs are living in the communities either at home or in a facility. In most states an EMT Basic can transport them. Yes you might get 911 calls for a water filled cuffed reached patient.

I also believe when it comes to airways, having more info about the appropriateness of the type and size of a tube is important. There are things which are very relevant and some things to consider so not to do harm. When. It comes to learning about airways you really should not stop at just one sentence and not be open to other suggestions.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
When. It comes to learning about airways you really should not stop at just one sentence and not be open to other suggestions.

While I certainly don't claim to know everything there is to know about every different airway in existence, I assure you I am plenty familiar with artificial airways in general, so you can save the condescension for someone else

My comments were not intended to provide an exhaustive review of all the different types of airways that one may encounter or the situations where a cuff may be filled with fluid, but were rather in response to a question about whether it was appropriate to fill an ETT cuff with NS routinely in the prehospital setting.

Not every question or discussion requires some sort of lengthy diatribe about numerous things that are only tangentially related to the discussion. We aren't all out to prove in every post how much smarter we are than everyone else.

Clipper1

Forum Asst. Chief
You again refuse to address the fact that at NO POINT did the OP make mention of the tube being placed incorrectly. You continue to blather on about tube size as if you're the only person who ever noticed that they come in (gasp) different lengths and diameter

A 5.0 tube was placed in an adult. I have absolutely no way of knowing if the OP was aware of the different lengths. I bet there are others here who may not consider length when nasally intubating. This forum has many, many members and not just you. So what if someone learned something or will think about the length next time they intubate. Is learning or reviewing something really that bad? Airway is a very important part of patient care for those who need one.

While I certainly don't claim to know everything there is to know about every different airway in existence, I assure you I am plenty familiar with artificial airways in general, so you can save the condescension for someone else

My comments were not intended to provide an exhaustive review of all the different types of airways that one may encounter or the situations where a cuff may be filled with fluid, but were rather in response to a question about whether it was appropriate to fill an ETT cuff with NS routinely in the prehospital setting.

Not every question or discussion requires some sort of lengthy diatribe about numerous things that are only tangentially related to the discussion. We aren't all out to prove in every post how much smarter we are than everyone else.

I only responded to your posts about saline. I did not start that discussion. However, I think some should be aware that tubes with water are out that and I do know EMTs who have transported them since they were patients in the hospital I work at. I also know that at sometime an EMT or Paramedic might have to add additional water (not saline) to a cuff to ventilate.

The OP had a decent idea but it could easily have been turned to trouble had anything happened to the patient. Before trialing something new which could be great or come under scrutiny, make sure the other stuff like correct ETT size, including length, are in place so you can reap the full benefits of your good idea.

Even a 6.0 or 6.5 tube might come up short when used nasally on an adult male. This is not speculation either. Be familiar with your equipment. Lay out the tubes and look at the lengths. Look at CXRs of intubated patients to see where the tip, cuff and larynx are. Note the placements of oral tubes for depth.

I am not trying to prove anything. I would like to prevent someone from making a mistake which could cause embarrassment to him or injury to the patient. It is very sad that some useful information can not be taken as just that on an EMS forum without the "smarter than us or you" mess.

All the information I have provided can easily be looked up. But, if anyone would like additional material, you can PM me so I don't make Halothane or the moderators angrier with more educational tidbits.

Last edited by a moderator:

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
The ETT does not work as a SGA. But, some tubes migrate to a Supraglottic position. Also, if the tube is to short, the cuff is trapped at or in the cords which can cause serious damage.

Without the cuff, it is more like an NP tube and of little use in an adult which would need a decent VT and pressure. Even the infant 3.0 tubes now come with cuffs.

Ok that's what I thought you were getting at.

I'm really interested in this since NTI is one of the things I do not feel comfortable with but I'm required to be proficient in.