Ice/cold packs for fever

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
Space.bar.is.broken.

While.a.temp.of.105.is.nothing.awesome,it's.also.not.a.huge.deal.in.and.of.itself...it's.how.the.kid.is.reacting.to.that.fever.that.really.matters...What's.his.mental.status?..How's.his.activity.level.etc.
Should have just used the clap emoji because thats how i read that

zzyzx

Forum Captain
ER Doc, you should hand that resource out to nurses and medics too!
Most healthcare workers don't understand that fevers are not dangerous, and that fever and hyperthermia are two entirely different things.

ERDoc

Forum Asst. Chief
ER Doc, you should hand that resource out to nurses and medics too!
Most healthcare workers don't understand that fevers are not dangerous, and that fever and hyperthermia are two entirely different things.

It is just so ingrained in our society that it is hard to change, much like antibiotics for ear infections. I never give my kids tylenol or motrin until they are feeling uncomfortable. If we could, at a societal level, educate parents about fevers we could cut a huge number of PCP and ER visits. I like to give the print out because it comes from some mecca of pediatric medicine and not just some crazy er doctor from bumblefuck, Michigan.

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
It is just so ingrained in our society that it is hard to change, much like antibiotics for ear infections. I never give my kids tylenol or motrin until they are feeling uncomfortable. If we could, at a societal level, educate parents about fevers we could cut a huge number of PCP and ER visits. I like to give the print out because it comes from some mecca of pediatric medicine and not just some crazy er doctor from bumblefuck, Michigan.
Do i see a Parenting 101 on the horizon? I'd support it :D!

ERDoc

Forum Asst. Chief
Nope. I've managed to keep my kids alive this long, it's not hard.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
@ERDoc, the fever-phobia makes me wonder -- are we seeing incidences of overdose as a result of over-aggressive use (misuse) of antipyretics?

ERDoc

Forum Asst. Chief
I know I've had several cases where we had to discuss with the parents the proper dosing of meds. Nothing toxic, just a little too much. I haven't searched the literature but it wouldn't surprise me.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
@NomadicMedic, that's fascinating stuff (just from the description alone)! I'll give it a listen!
I think the first time I heard about an APAP overdose, it was Vicodin related (APAP/Hydrocodone combo) and somebody took their usual prescribed Vicodin PLUS a bit too much additional APAP.

ERDoc

Forum Asst. Chief
@NomadicMedic, that's fascinating stuff (just from the description alone)! I'll give it a listen!
I think the first time I heard about an APAP overdose, it was Vicodin related (APAP/Hydrocodone combo) and somebody took their usual prescribed Vicodin PLUS a bit too much additional APAP.

That's why they don't make Vicodin anymore, you can only get Norco.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
That's why they don't make Vicodin anymore, you can only get Norco.

Certainly makes sense! (I see the FDA set the APAP component of opioid/APAP combos to 325mg.)