I was bored... so I sutured a cardboard box

Vicious

Forum Probie
Even though I haven't begun learning anything about BLS in class yet, I scoured all over youtube and learned a few suture techniques. I don't know why but I used a cardboard box as a proxy for the wounds. I've heard of people using oranges but I didn't have any in stock today and cardboard seems to work just fine. As for the needle and thread, I used a simple thread and needle used for clothes. Hehe my first attempt to physically curve the needle ended up with the needle breaking in my face. After that, I stuck the needle over a candle and it curved very easily. The suturing was very time consuming, but I didn't mind at all. I can't wait to use a more human proxy, or better yet a real human :)

IMG000030-1.png

Note: I have absolutely no experience in the healthcare yet so yeah the suturing does suck B) oh well. I hope everyone finds this as humorous as I did when I was done.

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
Hmmmm, WHY were you practicing suturing? EMT's don't suture, as far as I know, neither do medics....

Meursault

Organic Mechanic
Uh... what?

10 points for eagerness, -10 for trying to teach yourself a skill, -5 for trying to learn a skill outside your scope of practice.

One thing at a time.

Scott33

Forum Asst. Chief
As above...

You will never need to suture in EMS, no matter what level of training you reach.

Time might be better spent learning some basic A&P.

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
Why is Beevis lurking around?

Sasha

Forum Chief
You need a hobby, dude.

trevor1189

Forum Captain
Well that's interesting. I guess it could come in handy if you are ever stuck alone in the wilderness and have a big lac, but that is the only time you would ever use this skill.

I definitely suggest you check out the scope of practice for prehospital practitioners in your state. Suturing isn't there...

OP
OP
Vicious

Vicious

Forum Probie
Aha! see I didn't know that I would never use suturing as an EMS. Although, my later goal is to become a RN and I think they do a wider range of things including suturing. But then again I could be wrong about that too :excl:

Sasha- You need a hobby, dude.
I agree ;)

LucidResq- Why is Beevis lurking around?
Hehe he is Cornholio

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Aha! see I didn't know that I would never use suturing as an EMS. Although, my later goal is to become a RN and I think they do a wider range of things including suturing. But then again I could be wrong about that too

If you join a specialty team such as Neonatal or become a nurse practitioner, you may be able to suture as an RN. There are also a few other RN specialties that may allow for it.

When I was learning to suture, it was for securing chest tubes and UAC?UVCs on babies. For UAC/UVCs, when I didn't have an umbilical cord to practice with, I would stick a cocktail straw into a small sausage link. To practic for a chest tube, I would stick the straw into a pick of raw chicken.

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
When I was learning to suture, it was for securing chest tubes and UAC?UVCs on babies. For UAC/UVCs, when I didn't have an umbilical cord to practice with, I would stick a cocktail straw into a small sausage link. To practic for a chest tube, I would stick the straw into a pick of raw chicken.

OB-GYNs often practice D&Es on papayas.

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
What? No one else here practiced open heart surgery on a stuffed teddy bear in anticipation of getting your First Aid Cert? The how did you prepare yourself for the time you would get to do that on an Ambulance as an EMT? :wacko:

Sasha

Forum Chief
What? No one else here practiced open heart surgery on a stuffed teddy bear in anticipation of getting your First Aid Cert? The how did you prepare yourself for the time you would get to do that on an Ambulance as an EMT? :wacko:
He's eager and excited about becoming an EMT and is uneducated as to what it includes, why do you feel the need to mock him like that?

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
He's eager and excited about becoming an EMT and is uneducated as to what it includes, why do you feel the need to mock him like that?

Maybe becasue this was posted under EMS HUMOR... so I made a funny not believeing that everyone is as touchy or hostile as you tend to be in your thresds. :rolleyes: On the other hand, if you come to an EMS forum with absolutely no knowledge of what EMS is about and you post something like that (funny as it may be) you should expect a little harmless jabbing... Do you think it was posted by someone looking for some praise of by someone that was also laughing at himself?

VentMedic

Forum Chief

He can also take up knitting and crocheting like many other great surgeons.

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
You need a hobby, dude.

:p

Well said.

Easy for those of us who have been doing this for a while to jab at folks who are just as excited as we were when we started. (Not that everyone sutures a box.............but, you get the point.) I was interested in just about everything medical when I started. Heck, we probably all were! It is mearly a stage that most EMS people go thru. The rest of you went thru it too. So don't beat people's heads in. Praise them for their enthusiasm and gently steer that enthusiasm in the right direction. Don't rub their face in the protocols book or feed it to them dry untill it comes out their ears, show it to them and guide them thru it.

(Personally, I think it is pretty harmless to suture a box! It's not like he is going to hurt it.:p)

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
He can also take up knitting and crocheting like many other great surgeons.

Woe, Vent, was that a joke? Watch out, the joke squad is patroling the area... :unsure: