I really want to work for AMR

Goofy

Forum Ride Along
I just got my NREMT; my state and county certification; my ADL and now I am really anxious to begin working as an EMT. I just picked up a few applications from many ambulance companies, but I am very interested in getting employment with AMR.

Is there anyone on this forum that is working with AMR? Any pointers? What should I expect upon turning in my application? Is it difficult to become employed?

Please no sarcastic comments about lousy pay and no recognition; that's useless information. Oh what the hell; go ahead. But if anyone can sincerely offer a few pointers I'd greatly appreciate it.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I just got my NREMT; my state and county certification; my ADL and now I am really anxious to begin working as an EMT. I just picked up a few applications from many ambulance companies, but I am very interested in getting employment with AMR.

Is there anyone on this forum that is working with AMR? Any pointers? What should I expect upon turning in my application? Is it difficult to become employed?

Please no sarcastic comments about lousy pay and no recognition; that's useless information. Oh what the hell; go ahead. But if anyone can sincerely offer a few pointers I'd greatly appreciate it.

The process changes from area to area. When I did my application this is how i had to do it: fill out an application, take a written test, if you pass then turn in the application, wait for a call to set up an interview, take a skills test, if you pass then you go in for an interview, then wait for another phone call letting you know if you got the spot, then do a drug test lift test background check etc, then 2 weeks of orientation, then a day of orientation at your division, then 10-20 shifts with a FTO. That's just for where I applied tho. It could be different for your area. I'm still waiting on the phone call to let me know if I got the spot.

CAPilot55

Forum Crew Member
First off welcome to the world of being an EMT..Let me just tell you I am from the same area, and I recently got invited to my first interview with AMR, I had my application in with them since last March, Almost an exact year since they called me for an interview. But just keep looking.

aaron911

Forum Ride Along
I work for AMR. The only thing I can tell you is make yourself stand out from the others. From what I have seen each division hires more than 1 at a time and there is a lot of applicants. Confidence is important as well. Good luck!

Ewok Jerky

PA-C
Yeah, around here (N ca) amr waits until they have multiple positions open then they dig up all the applications they received since last time they hired.

Highlight your customer service experience as amr in northern california has had contract issues and they are looking for friendly employees.

beebers

Forum Ride Along
I work for AMR. The only thing I can tell you is make yourself stand out from the others. From what I have seen each division hires more than 1 at a time and there is a lot of applicants. Confidence is important as well. Good luck!

does AMR always keep there job openings updated? i'm in the houston area and they currently have no EMT-basic openings right now. should i still apply now or hold off til i see a current posting?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
does AMR always keep there job openings updated? i'm in the houston area and they currently have no EMT-basic openings right now. should i still apply now or hold off til i see a current posting?

Apply now. I applied 3 months ago when there were no openings. As soon as they get spots opening they will start hiring. AMR is a rather large company so they have alot of applications and normally don't post job openings.

Hal9000

Forum Captain
Do try and set yourself apart. My application process (back in the day) was different. I filled out the app, emailed it in, and had a phone call at 0700 the next morning. Next I went in for an interview, and then immediately did a scenario. This was followed by a job offer and a written test, which they assumed I'd pass (hint: a monkey could pass), so I walked out the door with my drug and PAT scheduled.

I just applied for another job with a new, better company (making much more than before, but I'm leaving the industry for good soon) and also got a phone call the next morning, followed by an interview and hiring on the spot the day after.

Make yourself stand out!

OP
OP
G

Goofy

Forum Ride Along
Thanks a lot everyone. I put all these pointers into practice and I am happy to say: I got a job!

No. Not with AMR. Someday I will. For now I am employed with Priority One Medical Transport and I love it.

Acetone

Forum Probie
I'll post in this thread since it's on the topic of AMR.

AMR in LA county is now opening up applications. I completed my app and am scheduled to take a written test next week. Currently, I am an EMT at an IFT company, dealing mainly with dialysis, so it gets pretty routine. If I miraculously make it through all the loops to get hired by AMR, how different will my experience be as an emt?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I'll post in this thread since it's on the topic of AMR.

AMR in LA county is now opening up applications. I completed my app and am scheduled to take a written test next week. Currently, I am an EMT at an IFT company, dealing mainly with dialysis, so it gets pretty routine. If I miraculously make it through all the loops to get hired by AMR, how different will my experience be as an emt?

If AMR is only picked up as a BLS/IFT company out there then it will pretty much be the same thing. If AMR gets or already has the 911 contract then it will vary. You will have 911 (code 3) responses mixed in with your IFT transports.

Juarez

Forum Crew Member
Hey fire how much did you start off at AMR and what kind of calls do you run I'm hearing a variety of things from people saying not to go to amr because pay is around 9 they aren't flexible with hours and finally that you start off doing ift with another emt until a spot with a medic opens up. Just curious so can you fill me in or anyone for that matter thanks!

thisismikedee

Forum Probie
If AMR is only picked up as a BLS/IFT company out there then it will pretty much be the same thing. If AMR gets or already has the 911 contract then it will vary. You will have 911 (code 3) responses mixed in with your IFT transports.

AMR LA county is 911 contracted, we run the san gabriel valley, antelope valley, santa clarita valley
Source: current employee

to put other things to rest, AMR LA county is NOT hiring, we just shifted to full 24 hour shifts with 20 stations through out our coverage areas. we are always accepting apps though. you will run code 2's mixed in but you will mostly run code 3 response at a ratio of approx 13:1. we do NOT pay around 9, the starting pay is 12.47, we are fully unionized and have a very good relationship with our local fire stations we cover. No IFT company or other code 3 is going to pay you as well as we do, despite propaganda. and our benifits are AMAZING, for a full family with kaiser is approx 13$ per pay check, the rest is company paid. our most expensive insurance option is a bluecross PPO that covers Armageddon for like 50 a pay check. vision and dental are virtually free. You are not treated like a number, you get paid the full 24 if you work a 24 hour shift, overtime is ENDLESS, and all supervisors and employees are top notch. the average emt that picks up a lot of overtime can make approx 60k a year, assuming you have no other commitments (medic school, rn program, etc)

Juarez

Forum Crew Member
Wow thanks that was very in depth! I appreciate that. The reason I ask is because I work for an IFT company, and everyone I speak foreworns me of everything mentioned above. But the reason I asked is because last night I was on a CCT and I was asking the nurse (which previously worked for AMR as a RN) if AMR fits my goals of going into an RN program the beginning of next year. He told me that they will give me whatever hours they want and whatever days they want and they won't work with you and your schedule. So understandably that made me weary.

thisismikedee

Forum Probie
If you are trying to go into an RN program in general you will have a hard time at any ambulance company. The cool thing about AMR is that at any time you can wave your full time status (at the cost of your seniority) and go part time. Part time, in the LA county operations at least, allows you to work whenever there are over time shifts paged out (OT is endless) all you have to do is pick up a minimum of 3 shifts a month. you can work full time as a part timer by just picking up whenever you are available.

thats the most flexible company i've ever heard of lol.

anyways, you will have to set aside some time at the beginning of the employment process for things like EVOC, Orientation, etc. (which at AMR are very in depth) and you will need to set time aside for your FTO shifts etc, but after you have a month of two under your belt, just go part time and work when you want, but remember, minimum of 3 shifts a month you have to work in order to continue employment.

dont let people shy you away from AMR, the reality is, every IFT company wishes they were us :]

plus, its not every day you get to be a badass and actually save a life instead of take grandma home after dialysis

Juarez

Forum Crew Member
Hahaha thanks I appreciate it, I understand what your saying and yeah I don't mind putting in the work before I get to go part time. Well see where end up,CARE called me to interview and test for them but I'm not sure if I should stay at my IFT company and wait until AMR or go to CARE(possibly).

thisismikedee

Forum Probie
Care is wack lol, last I heard they are only allowed to respond code 2 to all 911 calls unless FD specifically requests code 3 upgrade.

Care is weak sauce.

They got all mods though, which is nice and roomy and is great for the occasional full arrest where u need all the space you can get

JPINFV

Gadfly
Care is wack lol, last I heard they are only allowed to respond code 2 to all 911 calls unless FD specifically requests code 3 upgrade.
If responding with lights and sirens only saves a few minutes and the first responder unit from the fire department has the paramedics (since the transport ambulance is only staffed with EMTs), then there's no need for the ambulance to respond with lights and sirens since it's not needed in the first 5-10 minutes of care anyways.

They got all mods though, which is nice and roomy and is great for the occasional full arrest where u need all the space you can get
The size of the ambulance is irrelevant for cardiac arrests as cardiac arrests shouldn't be transported anyways absent of ROSC or specific special circumstances.

Last edited by a moderator:

Death_By_Sexy

Forum Crew Member
plus, its not every day you get to be a badass and actually save a life instead of take grandma home after dialysis

This made me laugh. I work in LACo for AMR too, and let's not kid ourselves. "Being badass and saving a life" is not the same as being an EMT. Driving to the scene, not doing/needing to do any assessment, putting the person on the gurney, and driving to the hospital with the medic is our SOP. Maybe I'm jaded from working in a first in county prior to this, but LACo is a transport county, being County fire's little helper elf isn't being a badass, or hero.

But on topic, I agree, for LACo, you're best bet are any of the 911 providers. I have people in my medic class from McCormick, Schaefer, and Care, none complain about their companies. I don't know their hiring status.

Last edited by a moderator:

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Hey fire how much did you start off at AMR and what kind of calls do you run I'm hearing a variety of things from people saying not to go to amr because pay is around 9 they aren't flexible with hours and finally that you start off doing ift with another emt until a spot with a medic opens up. Just curious so can you fill me in or anyone for that matter thanks!

My starting pay is $10.21/hr. My division is a non union. During my FTO time I am on an ALS rig running mostly 911 calls with some BLS calls. Once my FTO time ends then I will be placed on a BLS rig until a ALS EMT spot opens up but still at the same pay. I was originally hired part time. I would only have to work a minimum of 3 shifts per month. But I just got a full time position so I work 3 12 hour shifts one week and then 4 12 hour shifts the next week. Since we are not union we make 4 hours of overtime per shift. And anything over 12 hours in the same day is double time. We always have shifts open so there is alot of overtime and double time. If they really need a shift to be covered they will offer incentives (pick your partner, $100 plus your normal pay, $500 plus your normal pay, overtime pay, double time pay).