I need help. Dealing with Gross crap

JHarper

Forum Ride Along
Everyone has their quirks and I have apparently found mine. I'm about 3/4 away through medic school here in SC and I have found something that has become a bit bothersome. I do pretty well with gore and disgusting sites. I deal with smells and odors pretty good too. But I have recently discovered that I am INCREDIBLY bothered by SOUNDS. Sounds of patients gagging and sounds of airway emergencies pretty much make me gag too. It hasn't been an issue to where I cant perform on the call, but I'll get into a coughing fit and maybe gag myself when I start hearing someone puke, or the sounds of an ET tube backing up with fluid or a trach tube getting suctioned.

My thoughts were maybe attempting to find audio of these sounds and listen until I wasn't bothered by them, but that is proving difficult. Any advice on how to deal with this issue?

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
You just deal with it. My partner used to have issues with suctioning. I almost made her puke when I used the portable suction to hoover up a pudding cup. I guess full immersion therapy was what she needed.

In all honesty, when you have to go to it, you just get it done.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
Whenever you find yourself in a moment like that, focus on the positive outcome you want, take a deep breath (through your mouth if it's stinky) and plow through. It's the only way to deal with it.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I've never puked on scene but I've come close. Suctioning and wrenching gets me too. I will usually try and do something that will distract me or just put it outta my mind. It gets a whole lot easier the more you're around it. Everyone has their things that get them.

My partner had an AEMT new hire that proclaimed "I'm driving" on a call with a very intoxicated, snot covered gentleman. When I asked why she stated "I don't do snot. Anything but snot."

She didn't drive for three reasons.
A) There was no indication for a Paramedic attendant.
B) Wrong attitude.
C) Exposure is the only way to get past stuff like that.

Last edited by a moderator:

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
I've puked plenty of times. That's not the end of the world. You do need to face your demons though.

lynnethesunny

Forum Ride Along
I was on a scene recently where the pt's colostomy bag had come unhooked and the *ceiling* was dripping liquid feces. It was in an area where we always have 5-6 firefighters (mostly EMTs) on scene. They walked in, did a 180, and walked out.

Everyone else is right. Breathe through your mouth and get through it.

dalmain

Forum Crew Member
Just deal with it. I take everything pretty good unless it takes me totally by surprise. We picked up a guy and he was covered in feces. Normally this doesn't bother me..but when we put him on the bed I guess the scent hit me in the face so strongly that I literally started gagging. That's a rarity for me.

spnjsquad

Forum Crew Member
If you're really that sensitive to gross occourences, you could put a smidge of vapo rub under your nose when anticipating a gross scene. It really blocks out all other scents, but just use a very tiny bit!

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I've never understood the vapor rub idea. It's designed to open your nasopharynx....so maybe it smells minty fresh for a little bit but once it starts working you're going to smell everything better.

PrincessAnika

Forum Crew Member
mint or citrus essential oil a few drops in Vaseline for smells. for.sounds I focus on anything else and deep controlled breaths.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
mint or citrus essential oil a few drops in Vaseline for smells. for.sounds I focus on anything else and deep controlled breaths.

Focus on you're own breathing is something even I had never thought of before; perfect!

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
There are things that definitely make me gag and how do I get through it? I focus on what needs to be done. I can always vomit later... but right now, when I'm gagging, I have a patient to take care of!

Brenemancj1

Forum Ride Along
Everyone has their quirks and I have apparently found mine. I'm about 3/4 away through medic school here in SC and I have found something that has become a bit bothersome. I do pretty well with gore and disgusting sites. I deal with smells and odors pretty good too. But I have recently discovered that I am INCREDIBLY bothered by SOUNDS. Sounds of patients gagging and sounds of airway emergencies pretty much make me gag too. It hasn't been an issue to where I cant perform on the call, but I'll get into a coughing fit and maybe gag myself when I start hearing someone puke, or the sounds of an ET tube backing up with fluid or a trach tube getting suctioned.

My thoughts were maybe attempting to find audio of these sounds and listen until I wasn't bothered by them, but that is proving difficult. Any advice on how to deal with this issue?

Honestly, what gets me through as well as most of my colleagues is not taking things to seriously! Even when your on a bad call, and your pt's circling the drain, think of something else for a split second. Crack a joke, smile, say something off the wall....lol within means of course. After some time, your skills will be part of your sub-conscious and during a bad call, while pushing meds, drilling a Tibia, you'll be able to ask your partner, Hey what's for lunch? Sandwiches? Right on! :D

Yes we have a very serious job and want to remain professional but just relax! Deep breath, feel your pulse and it's go time! Medic up!