I could *probably* search for this, I'm asking though...

ErinCooley

Forum Lieutenant
what did you wear to an EMS job interview? I'm assuming since they didnt specify that I would be doing testing/practical type stuff that it will just be a sit down interview, eh??

So, black pants, crisp white shirt and heels?

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I do not believe you can over-dress for an EMS interview.

Guys: Suit, shirt, tie, dress shoes.
Gals: Dress suit/pants, dress shoes.

About.com has more information, though I'm not sure how relevant it is to EMS. I also brought with me a portfolio/legal pad case so that all my certs were organized, and I could take notes if I needed to.

OP
OP
E

ErinCooley

Forum Lieutenant

About.com has more information, though I'm not sure how relevant it is to EMS. I also brought with me a portfolio/legal pad case so that all my certs were organized, and I could take notes if I needed to.

Thanks.. thats kind of what I was thinking but I didnt want to walk in, them expecting me to get on my hand and knees and do practicals.

This is actually my first "job" interview... at almost 32, I've never really had a real job.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Since you got the proper attire covered, I will take a moment to make another observation that I have written about before. I hope you do not mind me using you as an example.

I am amazed at how many people ask the same question over and over on EMS and fire forums in regards to an interview or testing process. I say to them, why did you not ask?

When they call you to set up an interview, you should ask what the process consists of, so you can be adequately prepared and informed. I hate when people come online and ask what the process is for such and such county or service. Ask them! It is you wanting the job and you are free to ask anything and everything.

Anyways, hope this did not sound harsh as you said you are new to the "job world", but I wrote it out for anyone that may read this in the future as well, not just you.

Dress well and look sharp. It is not possible to overdress for an EMS interview.

For the record, even when scenarios are involved, they typically are more of a table top nature or verbalized scenario. Occasionally, some lifting may be evaluated but if there is anything more extensive, they will usually detail these out for you way in advance. If they did not, just expect a sit down interview and again, in the future, ALWAYS ASK when they set it up initially.

paramedix

Forum Lieutenant

diddo... first impression is a lasting impression!

tydek07

Forum Captain
diddo... first impression is a lasting impression!

100% correct. Remember, your first impression is the most important part of the interview :) So sure, bring out those black pants, white shirt and tie. Or those skirts, white shirt, and moon shoes