How to Handle Employment Loss

sop

Forum Lieutenant
Just as hard as is to get a job with an EMS company, it is hard to keep a job with them.

Here are my tips on how to handle a job loss if or when you are let go.

1. Don't take it personal. Look at it from a business view.

2. Try to get as many contacts as possible before you walk out that door. You will need them for your next job.

3. Don't give up your job search.

4. Stay fit and keep up your health.

5. Consider continuing your education.

6. Get support from family and friends.

7. Never bad-mouth your former employer.

8. Take a vacation or get away from EMS for a while.

9. Think about your current situation. Is this field right for you?

10. If you answered no or you cannot decide on an answer, switch fields.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Here is my tip on how to deal with sudden job loss.

1. Live beneath your means.
2. Make sacrifices in your extracurricular activities.
3. Do not over extend on credit.
4. Do not keep up with the Jones or anyone else.
5. Never buy something that cost more than $20 on the same day you decide you want "need" it.
6. Learn the difference between wants and needs.
7. Save your money.
8. Save your money.
9. When you have saved up 6 months of living expenses continue to save.
10. When you have 12 months of living expenses which never has to be touched just sitting in the bank, continue to save.
11. All savings after that 12 month nest egg now go into CDs and bonds.
12. Continue to save.
13. Treat yourself to something nice without going into debt or wiping out your savings.
14. Make and keep realistic goals and have systematic rewards built into your goal achievements.
14. Save your money. :)

Sasha

Forum Chief
So how do you save when you're living pay check to pay check because of the crappy wages?

Sent from LuLu using Tapatalk

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
So how do you save when you're living pay check to pay check because of the crappy wages?

EASY. FIND ANOTHER JOB.

Sasha, you are a paramedic. you won't be rolling in dough, but you shouldn't be living paycheck to paycheck, especially if you have no dependents.

If you are forced to live paycheck to paycheck, find another job. relocate if need be. if the job market sucks, find another market to tap.

you say you are a great provider? but you are paid crappy wages?

then you have two options: advance your education or advance your employment. that means get a better education level, or a better paying job.

otherwise, your screwed, and if you fail to do anything about your problem, you have no one to blame but yourself.

btw, the last time I was involuntarily terminated from my place of employment, I went out and had a few drinks with my new employers. I was actually quite happy to be no longer employed there, it just ended not the way I wanted it.

Always have a backup plan, if you have a FT job, had a per diem gig that you work a couple times a month for extra money. than in case there is a problem and you get get asked to leave, you can call your side job up and pick up every shift, while maintaining constant employment, instead of having to explain periods of unemployment to prospective employers. If you can work OT, do it. save up as much as you can, esp when you are starting out.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients

What he said. Check out daveramsey.com or his book Total Money Makeover. If you're deep in the hole, you have to get a smaller hole (downsize expenses) or get a bigger shovel to dig your way out of the hole.

Even a PT pizza delivery job for a time to pay down debt may radically change your circumstances.

Then, the key to feeling like you are not a slave to your expenses is to do what ever you can to get out of debt and stay out of debt.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Actually I'm not getting into it.

Last edited by a moderator:

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Here is my tip on how to deal with sudden job loss.

1. Live beneath your means.
2. Make sacrifices in your extracurricular activities.
3. Do not over extend on credit.
4. Do not keep up with the Jones or anyone else.
5. Never buy something that cost more than $20 on the same day you decide you want "need" it.
6. Learn the difference between wants and needs.
7. Save your money.
8. Save your money.
9. When you have saved up 6 months of living expenses continue to save.
10. When you have 12 months of living expenses which never has to be touched just sitting in the bank, continue to save.
11. All savings after that 12 month nest egg now go into CDs and bonds.
12. Continue to save.
13. Treat yourself to something nice without going into debt or wiping out your savings.
14. Make and keep realistic goals and have systematic rewards built into your goal achievements.
14. Save your money. :)

Words of wisdom.

phideux

Forum Captain
I was laid off a couple of years ago, that's what threw me into medic school. Here's my two cents.
If you have credit cards, throw them away. If you can't buy it outright, you can't afford it.
That crappy $1500.00 old Explorer will get you around town just as good as that new truck, just without the big payment and insurance. I've never financed a vehicle in my life.
When you work, SAVE.
Any job that pays you any money, is better than no job paying no money.
When you work, SAVE.
Luckily while going through school, I had saved before I lost my job, so I had some savings. Everything I owned was mine, nothing financed. I had a part time job that was flexible with the hours, and you can eat Raman noodles for 3 meals a day and survive.
I like Dave Ramseys advice and live debt free, I never finance anything, if I want something, I save up till I can afford it. The only thing I ever financed in the last 30yrs was my house, and I overpaid on my mortgage every month and paid it off in 8yrs instead of 30 yrs, I saved tens of Thousands on that mortgage.
Now school is done, It took 4 months for a local medic job to post, I got the first job I applied for. Good pay, good benefits, good hours.

Last edited by a moderator:

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief

I could sit with you for 30 minutes and if you honestly share your financial information and spending habits with me I can show you how to have an extra $1K a year minimum...usually more.

Most people tend to bury their heads in the sand however and despite saying they want more money, will not take the steps to achieve that as it involves a lot of sacrifice and extra planning.

Having financial freedom is very liberating in the sense that it will allow you to not be chained to that crappy job.

Right off the bat...do you car pool or take public transportation?

It sucks and it means you have to leave way earlier than normal, have to sit next to strangers or you have to work around someone else's schedule...but it is a HUGE money saver.

I posted in a hospital I worked in years ago (way before recession) and had overwhelming response...who knew? There are other people in the exact same situation as you and cost sharing is very advantageous for both parties.

I packed PBnJ for lunch and dinner. Was absolutely sick of it but it sustained me and I saved. I bought Sam's club chips and bulk ziploc bags and made my own snak paks...another large savings.

I quit drinking soda years ago...massive savings and probably reduced my future dental bills (I don't have cavities so cant say it did or didnt) but I did save more money.

Avoid those coffee stores. Either drink at home and use a thermos to bring with you to work (just like my dad did) or buy a $12 coffee pot for work. If posting in an ambo all day, stick to the thermos...or just quit coffee for a while.

I do not smoke, but right there is a huge savings financially and health.

Movies once a month.
Avoid iTunes...do you really need every current song on your device? (It adds up when you only view it as 99 cents each purchase).
Avoid ring tones...why pay when a classic ring is just fine.

Avoid fast food. Pre plan your meals...this is one of the largest ways to save cash fast.
Shop in thrift stores...yep, sucks balls to wear "Used clothing" but do you want money or not? (Hint: Go to Goodwill in Winter Park...hit the rich neighborhoods area for goodwill).

Eliminate your cable...WHAT??? NO TV??!!! Yes it is possible and another instant and massive way of saving. Do it for 6 months and you easily have 300-600 bucks in your bank.

Pay yourself first...always.

These are just a few of the randoms right off the top of my ehad, there are literally hundreds more.

It is difficult and it takes a lot of hard work and constant effort. No one ever wants to do these things but they will always be quick to complain. They compare themselves to others and feel they are entitled just like those around them. The reality is, you do not know their full story either. They could be hurting just as much or worse than you...and racking up debt.

Your entire attitude will change as you develop sound money habits, people will notice, they will ask you what you have done, how did you do it?

The question is--how bad do you want it?

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Loss of job as disaster...so be prepared.

And the benefit if things work out ok is you can start turning those savings into interest bearing stuff for later. Just stay liquid at first.

Definitely "educate up" and do not look to being a teacher for making that extra dough, unless you are a beaucoups salesperson with contacts and access to cheap training aids (mannikins for CPR ) and other ways to cut overhead.

Oh, ramen? Try boxed macaroni and cheese too, often available under 50 cents a box. Add a can of VegAll or some such. Counter to that, fresh, bulk/dried, and unprocessed foods are cheaper. Go to your local used stores and go there frequently, usually at opening time, and get a good crock pot, other cookware, as well as clothes and other household supplies. (You go frequently so you know the prices, and you can see the good stuff as out arrives, not settle for busted or uncleanable items).

Get letters of recommendation as you go, tell them you are applying to a training program. Even if you never present them, you can look back at them as you're eating ramen and remember it can be better.

PS: get a job. Empty spots on your resume look bad.

PPS: Get help early. Do not wait until you are absolutely broke before you start looking for government help, especially for medical dental etc.