How to buff calls in NYC?

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
Because vollie departments for the most part are going to be way less expierienced, and have not been through the academy. If I'm a medical director I'm not letting vollies practice under me without going through the cities required training. I'm also sure there's a million other headaches not worth it when FDNY EMS has/is handling their city...

OP
OP
adamNYC

adamNYC

Forum Lieutenant
Thing is we do log in and out and FDNY dispatchers are well aware specifically when our volly is in service. They will however only call us for "mutual aide" during disasters, blackouts, snowstorms, hurricanes, etc

Some believe that the city doesn't want to give away the jobs/money that would be otherwise be going to the city or hospital based EMS. Either way, the vollies are getting those jobs, and 911 providers are giving the patients away to us all the time, even if we are second on scene.

RedAirplane

Forum Asst. Chief
Because vollie departments for the most part are going to be way less expierienced, and have not been through the academy. If I'm a medical director I'm not letting vollies practice under me without going through the cities required training. I'm also sure there's a million other headaches not worth it when FDNY EMS has/is handling their city...

The same could be said of a questionable private company.

All ambulances have to meet whatever minimum standards are set in the region. Yes, it is nice to have more training and experience, but you make it sound like a medical director is soliciting clowns to respond in their shoe cars.

The medical director is somehow able to keep oversight of FDNY and the various private/hospital services that do 911 through the FDNY system. They already have these "million other headaches" for those companies, so what makes doing the same for the vollies so much more complicated?

RedAirplane

Forum Asst. Chief
And by the way, I'm all for more training. Why not make the FDNY academy training open to the volunteers and maybe even make that the standard for EMT-Basic licensure in NYC, if it is as much of a factor as you make it out to be?

Maybe adamNYC will know this, but do the hospital-based 911 providers in NYC have to do the FDNY EMS academy?

OP
OP
adamNYC

adamNYC

Forum Lieutenant
No they don't.

I'll give you an example. Private companies have 911 contracts with hospitals. From what I heard to make the transition from IFT isn't that elaborate. One takes a test, does ridealongs, goes through a day of classroom stuff, then has to put an application in to FDNY EMS to get a shield number. This is known as "getting vaxed" because they now have this FDNY EMS shield number, they can get employed at other 911 hospitals easier. If they intend to work for FDNY EMS, they still have to go through the FDNY EMS academy.

escapedcaliFF

Forum Lieutenant
Going from an IFT based company to doing 911 is a drawn out complex process and not as easy as your obviously not informed on the process. Also ambulance companies make their bread and butter doing IFT.

OP
OP
adamNYC

adamNYC

Forum Lieutenant
I'm talking about the process of how an EMT or Medic would switch from IFT to 911 within the same company

OP
OP
adamNYC

adamNYC

Forum Lieutenant
Just saying that's how it's done at the private I work at, not saying it's the same for all other privates. Just one example. One thing is certain: there's no extensive training that's conducted for months like FDNY EMS academy.

It consists of:

- Working IFT for 3-6+ months
- Passing a 70 question test
- Two 12hr tour Ridealongs
- 4 hour orientation

That's it

escapedcaliFF

Forum Lieutenant
Adam I think you need to hang out with this guy. Hes only across the way in New Jersey and has a stethoscope hanging from the rear view mirror. You and him can respond in his POV.

I have a magnet on the back of my car that says Emergency Medical Tecnitian with the star of life... Mostly so police will be easier on me when I get pulled over.. I have my stethoscope around my review mirror too for the same reason and easy access

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Adam I think you need to hang out with this guy. Hes only across the way in New Jersey and has a stethoscope hanging from the rear view mirror. You and him can respond in his POV.
NJ, NY same thing right?

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
I now remember why I stopped paying attention to this thread (until recently). All this talk about buffing calls makes my brain hurt.

Here's how to buff calls in ANY system: Don't.

escapedcaliFF

Forum Lieutenant
I now remember why I stopped paying attention to this thread (until recently). All this talk about buffing calls makes my brain hurt.

Here's how to buff calls in ANY system: Don't.
Do you need the RickyRescue Vollie Squad for transport to your local ER maybe its a bleed. They just cleared the extrication scene with Hillary.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
The same could be said of a questionable private company.

All ambulances have to meet whatever minimum standards are set in the region. Yes, it is nice to have more training and experience, but you make it sound like a medical director is soliciting clowns to respond in their shoe cars.

The medical director is somehow able to keep oversight of FDNY and the various private/hospital services that do 911 through the FDNY system. They already have these "million other headaches" for those companies, so what makes doing the same for the vollies so much more complicated?

I doubt that FDNY's medical director(s) have any role in the hospital or private providers. That's the whole point, FDNY can subcontract much of their EMS to hospitals and forget about it. It gets done without their involvement. Can the vollies do this? I have no idea, but I don't think so. I'm yet to see a volunteer agency that wasn't heavily reliant on the existing EMS infrastructure already in place.

RedAirplane

Forum Asst. Chief
I doubt that FDNY's medical director(s) have any role in the hospital or private providers. That's the whole point, FDNY can subcontract much of their EMS to hospitals and forget about it. It gets done without their involvement. Can the vollies do this? I have no idea, but I don't think so. I'm yet to see a volunteer agency that wasn't heavily reliant on the existing EMS infrastructure already in place.

Good volunteer services should have their own medical director, continuing education, QA/QI, etc. What else did you have in mind?

Flying

Mostly Ignorant
Good volunteer services should have their own medical director, continuing education, QA/QI, etc. What else did you have in mind?
Unless you are somewhat lucky, all of that is outsourced if you want to stay afloat. From what I've seen, volunteer services generally piggyback off of existing communications/dispatch systems and don't have the man hours to sustain a significant orientation/FTO period without cutting corners or doing away with them altogether.

Compare that to the hospital systems, which have the capital and personnel to sustain the very basics and more.

Last edited: