1. Tired of seeing ads? Click here to register today and the ads go away. It's completely FREE, too!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Can't find what you're looking for? Use the search bar in the upper right corner.
    Dismiss Notice

How old were you when you moved out?

Discussion in 'EMS Lounge' started by Hill, Sep 12, 2016.

1. dutemplar

dutemplar Forum Captain

Education:
    Critical Care EMT-P
    17 1/2, on Friday June 17, 1988. Two days after graduating high school, I left for Fort LostInTheWoods, Misery.

Your mileage may vary. :)

2. StCEMT

StCEMT Forum Deputy Chief

Education:
    Paramedic
    It's not thaaaats bad here. ;)

3. NomadicMedic

NomadicMedic formerly DEmedic

Education:
    Paramedic
    Funny, I turned 18 on June 17th 1988. I remember that day vividly.

4. Anjel

Anjel Forum Angel

Education:
    Critical Care EMT-P
    I moved out at 18. Back at 19 because I was sick of working 3 jobs. Out again at 20 and now I'm back after a divorce at 26 almost 27.

I'm enjoying the whole not paying rent thing and saving money thing.

Just give yourself some time. Everyone fights with their parents. Just don't make any impulsive decisions while you're upset. Plan plan plan.

5. Aprz

Aprz Forum Deputy Chief

Education:
    Paramedic
    27 and still living with my parents, lol. I actually make okay money too (about $63k/year). Way cheaper to live with them and pay for the Internet or occasionally food than to move out and try to be independent.

CodeBru1984 likes this.
  6. Never2Old

Never2Old Forum Crew Member

Education:
    Paramedic
    17, three months before I tuned 18 ... left the recruiters office, got on a bus and ended up at Ft Dix NJ, and a career as a 91B (Comabt Medic). Best decision I ever made as a young man!

NPO likes this.
  7. AGreatFuture

AGreatFuture Forum Probie

8. Giant81

Giant81 Forum Lieutenant

Education:
    EMT
    didn't read 3 pages of stuff but wanted to comment.

Military. if you want to go into emergency service, try Navy, go in as Medic, train with Marines. You'll get paid, given (sometimes) 3 hots, and a cot (maybe), then have hands on experience, certifications, and free college when you get out to further your career.

And it gets you out of the house right out of HS without worry about financials. And gives you a few years of easing into independence, while still allowing for a safety net.

Edit: to answer the question 19, left to MCRD San Diego, enlisted as an 0231 in the Marine Corps, spent 5 years running around the world seeing things I could only dream of now.

CALEMT and VentMonkey like this.
  9. terrible one

terrible one Always wandering

Education:
    Paramedic
    21/22 moved out, had to come back once for 6 months because I made the stupid decision of following a girl. Dumbest idea ever. Oh well live and learn.

CALEMT, agregularguy and VentMonkey like this.
  10. CodeBru1984

CodeBru1984 EMT

Education:
    EMT
    I moved out at 26.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk