How old were you when you moved out?

Hill

Forum Crew Member
my parents and I got into an argument today. Really over nothing. I wasn't being disrespectful I was standing up for myself. I did not curse, suck my teeth role my eyes and all that nonsense. My mom told me to shut the **** up and that was the end of it I walked away. I've been wanting to move out but I'm a senior in high school, ever bit of money I get IS from my mother. I know I want to get into the ems profession. So let's say I complete my first emt-b before I turn 20-21. When would I be able to move out, consider I'm finically smart. When did you move out?

VentMonkey

Family Guy
my parents and I got into an argument today. Really over nothing. I wasn't being disrespectful I was standing up for myself. I did not curse, suck my teeth role my eyes and all that nonsense. My mom told me to shut the **** up and that was the end of it I walked away. I've been wanting to move out but I'm a senior in high school, ever bit of money I get IS from my mother. I know I want to get into the ems profession. So let's say I complete my first emt-b before I turn 20-21. When would I be able to move out, consider I'm finically smart. When did you move out?
Moved out? My mom lives with "me". Just kidding, 22.

OP
OP
H

Hill

Forum Crew Member
Moved out? My mom lives with "me". Just kidding, 22.
I love my parents, but they're the complete opposite of me. They love arguing, placing blame and really just chaos. I really want to live on my own just for the peace of mind. When you moved out and started your career how was it?

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Soooo look, I don't know your home life, your parents, or even you, but if I was a betting man there's more to this argument than a parent just flipping out; we've all been there;).

You're still a kid, yes I know, what 18 year old likes hearing that?? Sorry, a young lady. I have two daughters of my own now, and can only hope and pray we use cooler heads as these always seem to prevail.

Take deep breaths, perhaps regroup with your parents when you see fit, and try and understand each other a bit more. Parents are people too and to understand the stress they go through when your life is only beginning is nearly impossible. I'm sure they make mistakes, too. Again, they're human and stuff..

As far as when I moved out, hmm, let me think about it for a sec... I had to now pay rent, bills, food, and everything in between on a basic's salary; not exactly paradise. One thing I have learned no matter what is to never leave angry, and try and understand each other that much more with every misunderstanding.

Waiver: this is just my humble opinion, take it as you wish.

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
uhm, basic financial advice. Have at least 8 months ahead of time planned out(money wise) before you even consider it. I stayed with my parents until i was 23,(making 70k+(much beyond an emt basic) from 21--> the day i moved out), your money stacks up.. cable, phone, internet, electricity, food, insurance blah blah blah, can goon forever. Honestly, id just say sorry, suck it up, but it will help a lot more.

OP
OP
H

Hill

Forum Crew Member
Soooo look, I don't know your home life, your parents, or even you, but if I was a betting man there's more to this argument than a parent just flipping out; we've all been there;).

You're still a kid, yes I know, what 18 year old likes hearing that?? Sorry, a young lady. I have two daughters of my own now, and can only hope and pray we use cooler heads as these always seem to prevail.

Take deep breaths, perhaps regroup with your parents when you see fit, and try and understand each other a bit more. Parents are people too and to understand the stress they go through when your life is only beginning is nearly impossible. I'm sure they make mistakes, too. Again, they're human and stuff..

As far as when I moved out, hmm, let me think about it for a sec... I had to now pay rent, bills, food, and everything in between on a basic's salary; not exactly paradise. One thing I have learned no matter what is to never leave angry, and try and understand each other that much more with every misunderstanding.

Waiver: this is just my humble opinion, take it as you wish.
It was nice to hear..well read that from another parent. The reason they flipped is so dumb it's not even worth saying. But I had got in from school and accusations came flying in on me. I like to believe I'm a good kid, lol its fine I call myself a kid all the time. I make great grades, I do homework. And as you see I do know what I want to do after highschool. No drinking, no smoking, no boys none of the drama. The only phone call home I get is when they tell my parents I'm an excellent student. My parents, they're mean people. To sum them up. I sat down and factor bills plus mishaps like a popped tire. I feel like I'm mentally ready but not finically. Thanks for taking the time it means a lot

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
I moved out at 19, but I also had a college dorm to live in and cafeteria food to live on. Could you do it? Yes. Will it be easy? No.

OP
OP
H

Hill

Forum Crew Member
uhm, basic financial advice. Have at least 8 months ahead of time planned out(money wise) before you even consider it. I stayed with my parents until i was 23,(making 70k+(much beyond an emt basic) from 21--> the day i moved out), your money stacks up.. cable, phone, internet, electricity, food, insurance blah blah blah, can goon forever. Honestly, id just say sorry, suck it up, but it will help a lot more.
Thanks, I was thinking like six months? But that's just a guess because I need an actual paycheck to gage how id survive

Qulevrius

Nationally Certified Wannabe
15, boarding school. Visited home twice a month on weekends. 18, playing sojer. Visited home whenever. After ETS, going back to live with my folks was not conceivable. Getting along with yours may take a while, but as time rushes by and you get past 30-40, and they grow old, you'll feel sorry for not spending more time with them.

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
Thanks, I was thinking like six months? But that's just a guess because I need an actual paycheck to gage how id survive

8 months is what financial planners, say, but this is advice, do as you please, just sharing what i did. I am also splitting expenses with my girlfriend as well. All of these things you need to take into account, it can be a real Pain, also another thing to remember is to keep an EMERGENCY fund.

titmouse

aspiring needlefairy

redundantbassist

Nefarious Dude
I know I want to get into the ems profession. So, let's say I complete my first emt-b before I turn 20-21. When would I be able to move out, *considering that I'm*financially smart?
If you want a nice little side job where you learn useful skills and make some extra money, EMS is a great place to go. If you're looking for a profession where you make loads of cash, look elsewhere. Also, it is possible you won't find a paying job as an inexperienced EMT right away. I suggest that you take a look at the agencies around you, their pay rates, benefits etc. and consider getting a "regular" job in the meantime.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
I moved out at age 17, started working for the county EMS at age 18. Difficult as hell and not a path I recommend.

Ready to move out...take whatever budget you planned and then double it. Then you might be ready.

Financially, put 6-12 months of living expenses in the bank. This is money you do not need to touch for any reason, not money to touch once you move out and bank on. This is called your safety net and is for extreme resource only. Do not EVER count on it or factor it to pay any monthly bill until you are absolutely sure you have no where else to cut and have to break into it. Once you have this little nest egg saved up...my recommendation is to then have 3 more months worth in your accessible account...this little stash will be your "its ok to dip into" now and again fund with the caveat that you replace any dips as soon as possible.

Will you heed this advice...most likely not.

Think you are ready to move out, think you are an adult? Sit down and talk with your parents. This is the tough challenge most are not able to overcome...how to sit and have a chat with the parents. Ask them what it cost them to live wherever you live. As for all the expenses, average bills, grocery, etc. Then divide that number by the total number of people living in the house. You now have what it cost THEM for you to live there...want to be an adult and show responsibility and gain their respect? Start paying them your share. Tell them you want to try on adult pants without jumping in the water head first. Use them as a trial test...if you cannot survive paying them your share at home, it will be even more challenging on your own.

If they admire your plan, they might even take the money and set it aside for you when you are ready to make the big leap. That would be quite generous of them and smart. But both they and you need to be held to a deadline for bills due and payment in full. Wow, would would have thought? A parent helping a child learn a life lesson right at home. In exchange, you gain certain freedoms...they need to honor this as well. No it does not mean you come and go as you please, you still have to respect the rules of the "apartment", but it sure is heck a great financial test and demonstration of your capability and responsibility.

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
Ak become his financial advisor lol :D another expense ain't nothing. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dumbenoughtostay

Forum Ride Along
I think you have come to the wrong place for advice on this subject. When younger, we all seek independence. It's natural. But an EMS forum is for EMS questions, not life questions.

What you should really be concerned about is whether you are ready to move out on your own- emotionally, financially, etc. Many have written intelligent things to help you, but unless anyone on this forum knows you personally, you should take their advice with a very small grain of salt. You have read of various ages when others have moved out, and there has been sage financial advice, but none of that counts unless you are ready to handle the challenges of living on your own as an adult. In fact, you may dig yourself into a hole that will be very difficult to climb out of.

Now, here is my advice to you. And what I have written about other people's advice holds true for mine. I don't know you, so I don't know your circumstances. Please be assured that what I write is out of concern for your welfare.

Approach someone (or several people) you know and trust, and someone who knows you well. Ask them to help you to evaluate whether you are ready. They will know our circumstances, emotional make-up, and level of maturity. They will be able to help to steer you in the right direction. And by the way, they should not be your peers. Quite frankly, they are probably not mature enough to give you a straight answer.

All the best to you.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Went to college at age 18, came home for the summers.

Lived in an apartment after college, haven't moved home since.

If you have no money, I'd find a way to make living at home work.

You'll find people that moved out at your age, but it wasn't easy many years ago, and it's even harder now.

Good luck!

OP
OP
H

Hill

Forum Crew Member
I think you have come to the wrong place for advice on this subject. When younger, we all seek independence. It's natural. But an EMS forum is for EMS questions, not life questions.

What you should really be concerned about is whether you are ready to move out on your own- emotionally, financially, etc. Many have written intelligent things to help you, but unless anyone on this forum knows you personally, you should take their advice with a very small grain of salt. You have read of various ages when others have moved out, and there has been sage financial advice, but none of that counts unless you are ready to handle the challenges of living on your own as an adult. In fact, you may dig yourself into a hole that will be very difficult to climb out of.

Now, here is my advice to you. And what I have written about other people's advice holds true for mine. I don't know you, so I don't know your circumstances. Please be assured that what I write is out of concern for your welfare.

Approach someone (or several people) you know and trust, and someone who knows you well. Ask them to help you to evaluate whether you are ready. They will know our circumstances, emotional make-up, and level of maturity. They will be able to help to steer you in the right direction. And by the way, they should not be your peers. Quite frankly, they are probably not mature enough to give you a straight answer.

All the best to you.
I really do appreciate your honest opinion and advice. I came here because I felt most of the people on here are real professionals who know a lot of something. Who may or may not have gone down the same path I'm thinking about taking

OP
OP
H

Hill

Forum Crew Member

All the best to you.
thank you for your honest opinion I really need it

OP
OP
H

Hill

Forum Crew Member
I moved out at age 17, started working for the county EMS at age 18. Difficult as hell and not a path I recommend.

Ready to move out...take whatever budget you planned and then double it. Then you might be ready.

Financially, put 6-12 months of living expenses in the bank. This is money you do not need to touch for any reason, not money to touch once you move out and bank on. This is called your safety net and is for extreme resource only. Do not EVER count on it or factor it to pay any monthly bill until you are absolutely sure you have no where else to cut and have to break into it. Once you have this little nest egg saved up...my recommendation is to then have 3 more months worth in your accessible account...this little stash will be your "its ok to dip into" now and again fund with the caveat that you replace any dips as soon as possible.

Will you heed this advice...most likely not.

Think you are ready to move out, think you are an adult? Sit down and talk with your parents. This is the tough challenge most are not able to overcome...how to sit and have a chat with the parents. Ask them what it cost them to live wherever you live. As for all the expenses, average bills, grocery, etc. Then divide that number by the total number of people living in the house. You now have what it cost THEM for you to live there...want to be an adult and show responsibility and gain their respect? Start paying them your share. Tell them you want to try on adult pants without jumping in the water head first. Use them as a trial test...if you cannot survive paying them your share at home, it will be even more challenging on your own.

If they admire your plan, they might even take the money and set it aside for you when you are ready to make the big leap. That would be quite generous of them and smart. But both they and you need to be held to a deadline for bills due and payment in full. Wow, would would have thought? A parent helping a child learn a life lesson right at home. In exchange, you gain certain freedoms...they need to honor this as well. No it does not mean you come and go as you please, you still have to respect the rules of the "apartment", but it sure is heck a great financial test and demonstration of your capability and responsibility.
I am going to take the advice, which is why I asked. I definitely definitely don't plan on moving out until I'm 21-22 I just love thinking ahead. I have to have Plan A B C for D E F. Like it's ridiculous how cautious I am about everything