How old is too old to start?

Dannyboy

Forum Ride Along
Hi all,
Back in my early thirties I considered becoming a volunteer EMT to give back to the community and help people in need but a young family and career (pharmaceutical/medical device marketing and eduction) got in the way. Fast forward 30 years later and I feel like I’m ready to pursue it. Wondering what people here think? Is it realistic? Would I be hired? Would it be weird? I’m currently 59 and live in Northeast GA. I’m in very good shape physically, mentally and emotionally. Appreciate your responses, especially if you started your journey at an older age.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
go for it. never too old to start.

OP
OP
D

Dannyboy

Forum Ride Along
Haha. That’s what I was thinking too. Then I remembered that my wife always says I’d be late to my own funeral anyhow so no problem :)

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
It's healthy to try new things. I don't think you'd have much to lose if you took an EMT course with the idea of volunteering or working in the field. I was 40 when I did that. Worst case, you just learn stuff that's partly useful outside EMS, too.

OP
OP
D

Dannyboy

Forum Ride Along
Thanks CCCSD. I was a little worried about ageism. Probably not as much of an issue for volunteer work. So do I start by just taking the course first at my local tech college or should I speak to someone at the EMS in the county first?

CCCSD

Forum Deputy Chief
Thanks CCCSD. I was a little worried about ageism. Probably not as much of an issue for volunteer work. So do I start by just taking the course first at my local tech college or should I speak to someone at the EMS in the county first?
Talk to the group you want to volunteer at. They may have their own training program and should help you get started. Is there a volunteer ambulance service in your area?

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Being actually dead is too old. If you are not actually dead, then the decision if you're too old is largely up to you as to getting into / back into EMS.

CCCSD

Forum Deputy Chief
BTW: if it’s a volunteer service, they are desperate for older techs. They tend to stick around and are more dependable.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
If you're knock knock knocking on Heavens door I probably wouldn't. But early 30's? Hell, I know new probie firefighters older than that.

DrParasite

I disagree. You're too old to start if your funeral is scheduled that day.
Apparently you have never worked for private EMS, where all they are looking for is a pulse and a patch.... and the pulse is optional....

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Apparently you have never worked for private EMS, where all they are looking for is a pulse and a patch.... and the pulse is optional....
I have...pulse is required to complete the paperwork, after that it's optional.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Hahaha… You all are awesome. Thanks for helping me feel better about it. I’m applying to a local community college for the training as we speak. 👍
Congrats! As someone who is also looking to get back into EMS later in life, please keep us updated!

DrParasite

Hahaha… You all are awesome. Thanks for helping me feel better about it. I’m applying to a local community college for the training as we speak. 👍
One thing to remember, one that you probably won't have issues with, but other (younger) students have... treat it like a college course. do the reading before class. do the HW. do all of the physical activities, and don't be afraid to get dirty (and yes, some don't like being on the floor). don't practice until you get it right, practice until you can't get it wrong.

you have a "real job," family commitments, and a other stuff that takes up your time... this is another responsibility, one that needs to have dedicated time budgeted to it. It's definitely doable, if you put the time in.

This might not apply to you, but I have seen many students not succeed because they aren't willing or able to put the time in.