How NOT to interact with the press at a scene

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
And we want to be viewed as professionals?

Cup of Joe

Forum Captain
and that is what some people might refer to as a PR nightmare.

sometimes I think certain people just enjoy creating problems for themselves and others.

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
I'd like to see what happened before. I know I wouldn't like someone up in my face with a camera. Who approached who? A video that cuts in right at the moment to put the EMT in a bad light following an article that seems somewhat biased.

I'm not going to sit here and play Monday morning quarterback.

JPINFV

Gadfly
I'd like to see what happened before. I know I wouldn't like someone up in my face with a camera. Who approached who? A video that cuts in right at the moment to put the EMT in a bad light following an article that seems somewhat biased.

I'm not going to sit here and play Monday morning quarterback.

The photographer was posting over at Statter911 and apparently he just got there and was getting his camera out when she started yelling at him and before he could get to where he wanted to film from anyways.

Regardless, when you're in public, you have no expectation of privacy.

Edit: Links to the comments from the photographer.

http://tinyurl.com/3mapg2v

http://tinyurl.com/3dw46b8

Last edited by a moderator:

the_negro_puppy

Forum Asst. Chief
How is this person a reporter/media? seems like an average joe citizen with a camera. Either way I dont know why this EMS lady cares that he is filming the fire.

JPINFV

Gadfly
How is this person a reporter/media? seems like an average joe citizen with a camera. Either way I dont know why this EMS lady cares that he is filming the fire.

Does the fact that she broke the visual stabilizer when she hit the camera change anything?

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief

Well the article says the guy is a Reporter for a local news site. Wouldn't that make him a reporter?

EMT chick is in the wrong I believe. The guy appears to be plenty of distance away and is off the road and out of the way.

And this makes me miss being a firefighter and rolling up on a good working fire.

---
- Sent from my electronic overbearing life controller

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief

Whether he is a member of the press or of the public is irrelevant.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
This chick proves that anatomy measuring contest are not limited to those of us with a "y" chromosome.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
I love the professionalism. Especially with the person yelling at the engine. WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE??? Must of missed their training where they learn where to park the app's.

WolfmanHarris

Forum Asst. Chief
And that's why you have a policy about dealing with the media that essentially tells your front line staff: "Don't"

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Maybe she will make a good dispatcher.

Maybe not. :unsure:

You do not batter bystanders unless it is to save a life.

Looking at the rampant professionalism and speed getting water on that fire, this might be an ongoing cultural issue.

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm going with fired. Seems a reasonable solution.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
What the hell is wrong with that woman?

nomofica

Forum Asst. Chief
For a disclaimer regarding my views, I'm writing this from the perspective of a firefighter, prehospital health care provider, and as a photographer.

Despite not seeing the events leading up to the start of this video, from was was recorded she is completely in the wrong. It doesn't matter how it started, striking the photographer (even if it's to get the camera out of your face), is not acceptable. That is assault. Law in Canada (and in the US when it comes to this topic) says that you can photograph anyone in a public space, and photograph into private property (say a person's living room) provided you are still within public space (say from the sidewalk out in front of the home). Now, because the EMT is in public, she cannot reasonably expect to not be photographed.

If the truth were opposite, I would not be able to take photographs like this:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bltruscott/5764380585/in/set-72157626817146492/lightbox/

Or, in the case of LEOs (situation is identical, just different job):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bltruscott/5764490337/in/photostream/lightbox/

Sure, she can say "no", but there doesn't need to be consent to publish editorial photographs, only photographs where the intent is to earn income from said photograph require consent (and release forms). Her being on duty has nothing to do with being photographed or not; actually, in reality, it means it's more likely she will be photographed if she's on duty.

I saw a comment on the linked page that says "I agree that she acted incorrectly in the situation, however the guy screaming freedom of the press is bull. Unless he's a reporter he's not press." This guy couldn't be more wrong. Freedom of the Press (as per the First Amendment) does not have limitations regarding employment by a news agency; it means anyone can photograph/film anything they like within public property.

Bottom line: she should educate herself on PR/media and the rights of both parties (her and of the press) - but only after she loses her job.

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief
Just another EMS provider on a power trip, who cares if he's filming or taking pictures of you.

I don't mind being photographed, unless there is a patient involved, knock yourself out.

I'm also available for calender shoots, you should know though that I have gained a few pouunds and I'm not the chiseled fellow my wife fell in love with. Hey round is a shape too.

CheifBud

Forum Crew Member
Just another EMS provider on a power trip, who cares if he's filming or taking pictures of you.

I don't mind being photographed, unless there is a patient involved, knock yourself out.

I'm also available for calender shoots, you should know though that I have gained a few pouunds and I'm not the chiseled fellow my wife fell in love with. Hey round is a shape too.

Lol you beat me too it. I generally just slap some oil on and start flexing and the camera can't help to wonder my way.

I don't think there is a question that she was in the wrong, not only that but did she have nothing better to do at the scene, cause i assume she wasn't instructed to just stand around and assault anyone with a camera adding further merit that she was unprofessional. Maybe if she was helping a patient when he was encroaching and she told him back off would be one thing but standing around doing nothing makes it look even worse.

jpbaker1988

Forum Probie
I agree that it was a horrible PR move on the EMT's part but my question is whether or not she was instructed to get the camera man to move from a superior or did she do it on her own. From my perspective, I assume she is a pretty inexperienced EMT. The beginning of my EMT class, we had a pretty long discussion on how to interact with the press. If you don't know or aren't supposed to speak about a topic, refer the inquiry to your public affairs officer. If you need someone to move, coordinate with law enforcement. Just my observation.