How much of your military experience HAS translated to civilian credit?

OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Whiskey65, what university?
Was it American Military University (AMUS/APU)? They stress they are "for" servicepersons

https://www.amu.apus.edu/

I asked about them a couple years ago. Anyone have much experience with them now?

WhiskeySix5

Forum Crew Member
Whiskey65, what university?
Was it American Military University (AMUS/APU)? They stress they are "for" servicepersons

https://www.amu.apus.edu/

I asked about them a couple years ago. Anyone have much experience with them now?

No sir, not familiar with them. Columbus State University initially, but i transferred the credits to a bigger university without issue...

One caveat, Cal State did not accept any of the credits from back east when I went there for a few semesters...the funny part is their classes were a lot easier.

Trezmaniandevil

Forum Probie
It has been years

I was a combat medic in the Army. When I left I found a school that gave me 20 credits for my MOS education 91A10 this allowed me to go to school and get a Nursing education. (I never used the license, liked Paramedicine better) Anyway the school was Regents College. Now I think it is called Excelsior.

I thought it was terrible that I was not able to get EMS credits.

True Story

DPM

Forum Captain
Norther Ireland bakery truck ad: "Door-gunner needed". Old joke from the Seventies.

I spent a fair bit of time in the province, not in the 70's mind you! I was just surprised to find an American that knew the difference between Northern Ireland and the Free state.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
Can you imagine my dismay as a riflemen in the infantry when I was told by the college that throwing hand grenades, shooting rifles, going on long road marches, and playing grab *** and or xbox did not transfer into college credits.... As a master of "battle drill 1 alpha", Linear ambushes, EPW searches, and Flatulence contest... I thought for sure I could get some kind of real world skill and degree out of it.
*sigh... some how I used my GI bill and became a Paramedic after the army which is kind of the opposite job description I suppose

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Can you imagine my dismay as a riflemen in the infantry when I was told by the college that throwing hand grenades, shooting rifles, going on long road marches, and playing grab *** and or xbox did not transfer into college credits.... As a master of "battle drill 1 alpha", Linear ambushes, EPW searches, and Flatulence contest... I thought for sure I could get some kind of real world skill and degree out of it.
*sigh... some how I used my GI bill and became a Paramedic after the army which is kind of the opposite job description I suppose

Depends on where you work.

OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

Schulz, AAAAAHAHAHA! :rofl:
Right on. Making expedient obstacles and laying minefields somehow never appears in college catalogs.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Right on. Making expedient obstacles and laying minefields somehow never appears in college catalogs.

Neither does swimsuit body painter, but it doesn't seem like a bad gig.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus

Skills transferable to Homeland Security, but reverse-kine.

OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

Works for Dell Customer Service though.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
If I wanted to, I could probably get 70 some credit hours based upon my military training, but I don't see an AAS in Nuclear Engineering Technology being useful in my current job.

OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

Iran's looking for a few good nukes, er, men.

ATrain

Forum Crew Member
If I wanted to, I could probably get 70 some credit hours based upon my military training, but I don't see an AAS in Nuclear Engineering Technology being useful in my current job.

Sorry for reviving an old thread here, but I'm a former nuke, as well.

Quite the kick in the crotch when I went to apply at a university and they told me all I would get out of the deal was 8 PE credits for boot camp.

OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Sorry for reviving an old thread here, but I'm a former nuke, as well.

Quite the kick in the crotch when I went to apply at a university and they told me all I would get out of the deal was 8 PE credits for boot camp.

From wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naval_Nuclear_Power_School
The American Council on Education has evaluated the course of instruction at NNPTC and recommended the following credits be given for completion of the enlisted curriculum:[9]
5 hours in general physics
3 hours in heat transfer and fluid flow
3 hours in nuclear reactor engineering
1 hour in atomic and nuclear physics
1 hour in radiation protection technology
3 hours in general chemistry and principles of materials
4 hours in technical mathematics.
Additionally, for Machinist's Mates
3 hours in applied thermodynamics and heat transfer
3 hours in power plant systems
3 hours in basic electricity
For Electronics Technicians and Electrician's Mates
2 hours in hydraulic systems
2 hours in DC circuits
2 hours in AC circuits
2 hours in digital principles
2 hours in electric machines
8 for PE seems kind of low.

Justice

Forum Crew Member
Army Medic course taken in 2005= 52 college credits.

With other classes I have taken while in the military I was able to get 72 credits applied towards a bachelors in General Science.

Justice

Forum Crew Member
Does the college you applied too have a military friendly outlook? One school can say 20 credits while another could say go take math and english and we have a degree for you. Shop around

OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

Name your schools!

Justice

Forum Crew Member
Name your schools!

If you mean my other military schools: Honor Guard, Air Assualt, Combat Stiching (not sure what the actual course name was but you get the idea) Medical supply, Combat Lifesaver instructor, Advanced airways (taken while in the National Guard, Taught by a state Paramedic) Combat Field Medicine.

Some of these classes were at a Unit Level but it is still a course and if you have any certs turn them in and let the school decide if you deserve credit. I also had a course outline for several courses and this assisted my school in awarding me credits.

As Far as college, My state has 4 main schools and I was given a different amount of credits at the 2 that I applied too.

credits can also be given on an individual basis, based on entrance exams.

Last edited by a moderator: