How many hours EMT B should we be

chicsurfs

Forum Ride Along
Getting? I swear the instructor said only 2? It's a 4-5 month class. It just doesnt sound right to me???

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
How many hours is that?

While I had 36 hours in the ambulance and 24 in the ER, it's not unheard of to only have 12 hours of clinical hours.

This thread discussed the topic.

If you can I'd try to get as many hours as possible. The time I spent as a student in the ER and ambulance were invaluable and some of the best memories I have of working in EMS.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
My program required 2 12 hour ride-alongs and 2 12 hour shifts in the ED. State requires one of each, I don't think it really makes much difference but I certainly enjoyed.

It would make a difference if it was a significant portion of the course with a greater objective than "here's an ambulance have fun." However, as it stands, the difference between 12 and 48 hours will not be significant in the long run.

OP
OP
chicsurfs

chicsurfs

Forum Ride Along
My program required 2 12 hour ride-alongs and 2 12 hour shifts in the ED. State requires one of each, I don't think it really makes much difference but I certainly enjoyed.

It would make a difference if it was a significant portion of the course with a greater objective than "here's an ambulance have fun." However, as it stands, the difference between 12 and 48 hours will not be significant in the long run.

Lol, ok thank you so much.

Does anyone know where I can find EMT medical terminolgy?

Like.motorcycle accident, or intoxicated,
Car accident??

Wm 43 pt

Extra I already know the other terminolgy such as abd, cva, ekg, ecg,..

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader

Car accident??

Wm 43 pt

I think you should start by proofreading, I am not sure what you are asking.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief

Car accident??

Wm 43 pt

Medical terminology is going to be the same for an EMT as for a Paramedic or a nurse or a doctor, some schools offer a separate course specifically for medical terminology. If you Google it plenty of resources to start learning it show up.

Non medical terminology like the examples you gave are entirely location and service dependent. I've heard Traffic Collision (TC), Traffic Accident (TA), Motor Vehicle Collision (MVA), MVC, etc....

Just like there is probably an approved abbreviations list for your area floating around I'm sure you'll be able to get a copy from your school.

And what does "Wm 43 pt" mean?

OP
OP
chicsurfs

chicsurfs

Forum Ride Along
Medical terminology is going to be the same for an EMT as for a Paramedic or a nurse or a doctor, some schools offer a separate course specifically for medical terminology. If you Google it plenty of resources to start learning it show up.

Non medical terminology like the examples you gave are entirely location and service dependent. I've heard Traffic Collision (TC), Traffic Accident (TA), Motor Vehicle Collision (MVA), MVC, etc....

Just like there is probably an approved abbreviations list for your area floating around I'm sure you'll be able to get a copy from your school.

And what does "Wm 43 pt" mean?
Lol

White male? Pt - patient?

Yes exactly what you said MVA, TA..I am pretty good with all the other terminolgy I'm a PCT (patient t care tech) now I'm only taking this course because I want more education regarding trauma. Will only be taking the EMT -B.

escapedcaliFF

Forum Lieutenant
Each state is different for educational standards. Arizona no longer requires climical hours for EMT/EMCT however most college's still require 36 hours anyways.