How long does the AHA CPR card expire?

mrmonkeey1

Forum Probie
Im going to go on a limb and think 2years, yeah? anyone know how much it costs?

Maya

Forum Lieutenant
2 years. You take a class. 4-6 hours, I think. Somewhere around $100-$120. Can't remember, exactly. Go to Red Cross Website or any EMT agency that does CPR certs. I don't know you, so don't know if you're an EMT already or not. If not, and you want to become an EMT, make sure it's AHA CPR for Healthcare Provider.

Maya

Forum Lieutenant
Oops, I meant AHA, not Red Cross.

Summit

Critical Crazy
AHA CPR HCP
2 years
$25-$50
Should be included with your EMT class.

JPINFV

Gadfly
2 years. You take a class. 4-6 hours, I think. Somewhere around $100-$120.

If you're paying $100 for it you're being screwed. Shop around a bit.

MRE

Forum Captain
FYI, Red Cross is now offering a 2 year cert if your agency/state will accept it. Shop around.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
It last (to the AHA) for 2 years.

Each state is dependent. Texas requires EMS personnel do it every year.

Flight-LP

Forum Deputy Chief
Since when???

CPR is not a requirement for initial or recurrent certification or licensure.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Since when???

For NREMT it has always been a recertification requirement as a copy should be included.

R/r 911

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Since when???

Every state that I've looked up, along with the NREMT, requires AHA BLS CPR for initial cert and renewal.

Flight-LP

Forum Deputy Chief
Look again..........

http://www.dshs.state.tx.us/emstraumasystems/default.shtm

When I submit my paperwork for licensure renewal (as I just did again last month), there is no requirement for a current CPR card, nor have I ever been asked for one from TDH / TDSHS since my initial application back in '92. Initial applicants do have to meet the NR requirements, but that card does not have to stay active when you apply through TDSHS and they do not verify it. For applicants seeking reciprocity without NR, they too do not have to supply a current CPR card.

In addition to this, the aforereferenced statement of one year is completely invalid. That's the point I was interjecting with a question of possible recent change. After researching and catching up with an old friend who works for TDSHS, I found my original belief still true.

C'mon guys, you know I wouldn't post without having some facts to support my position. Too many piranhas out there these days.......................

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Look again..........

http://www.dshs.state.tx.us/emstraumasystems/default.shtm

When I submit my paperwork for licensure renewal (as I just did again last month), there is no requirement for a current CPR card, nor have I ever been asked for one from TDH / TDSHS since my initial application back in '92. Initial applicants do have to meet the NR requirements, but that card does not have to stay active when you apply through TDSHS and they do not verify it. For applicants seeking reciprocity without NR, they too do not have to supply a current CPR card.

In addition to this, the aforereferenced statement of one year is completely invalid. That's the point I was interjecting with a question of possible recent change. After researching and catching up with an old friend who works for TDSHS, I found my original belief still true.

C'mon guys, you know I wouldn't post without having some facts to support my position. Too many piranhas out there these days.......................
As I said, every state that I've looked up, along with the NREMT, requires AHA BLS CPR for initial cert and renewal.

It was my point that it is common that states require the cert, though it appears as though Texas is one of the exceptions.

amberdt03

Forum Asst. Chief
It last (to the AHA) for 2 years.

Each state is dependent. Texas requires EMS personnel do it every year.

uh no they don't....

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Than there was either a mistake or a mis-communication at my old EMT school.

Could very well have been "Every year that you're in EMT school" but I was working under the impression that I had to do it once a year.

Oh well, it's free.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Look at your freakin card! Seriously....

R/r 911

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief

R/r 911

Someone: "When does my AHA card expire?"
Me: "The day after the date on the card"

I held off posting this. How could this even be a discussion?

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader

R/r 911

Someone: "When does my AHA card expire?"
Me: "The day after the date on the card"

I held off posting this. How could this even be a discussion?

Maybe he doesn't have a card.
confused.gif

He's a new member. Let's look at the possibility that he's not in EMS.

timmy84

Forum Crew Member
Welcome mrmonkeey1, I am new also. OP look on the front of your card... bottom right has a "recommended renewal date" which is when you need a new one. I have been always gone June of every odd year... June 03, June 05, June 07, and last month June 09 and my recommended renewal date is june 2011.