how long did it take you to get hired?

AVPU

Forum Lieutenant
I'm a new EMT-B who's applied to a private ambulance company in town. I was so psyched when they called. The guy wanted my driver's license, which I dropped off that day. It's now been a couple weeks, and no word. I suspect they are running a background on me.....since the application asked for seven years of employment and residence history. I plan on following up tomorrow, but I wanted to throw out the question.....how long did it take you to get hired??

wolfwyndd

Forum Captain
**laugh** I'll let you know when that happens. ;)

Srsly. Depending on what part of the country you live in, EMT's are a nickel a dozen. I've been a volunteer now for 7 years. I applied at several IFT / private ambulance companies last year and none of them called me back. I gave up.

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
Took me about a month.

I got hired at a company I wasn't even really trying to get hired with (calling and harassing them every week).

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
From the date I got my basic license: 3 months (cause I was 20 and had to find someone to work around that)
When I moved to CO: 1.5 months
Now... 2 weeks and counting.

MusicMedic

Forum Captain
Almost 2 months,

then after i got fired..

1 week

red_head

Forum Probie
Technically: about 6 months. However, I got my MA certification in December and didn't actively seek out employment until the very end of April/beginning of May

so it's really about 1 month.

TraprMike

Forum Lieutenant
i got "hired" first, then they sent me threw emt class.. now I make 700 bux a month waiting at home for calls. got 8 calls in last month, woo hoo

OP
OP
AVPU

AVPU

Forum Lieutenant
Ok, so I called today. Apparently they are waiting on my driving record to come back. He said that takes the longest. After that, more paperwork, then I'm covering shifts and working medical support at events. Woohoo!!!

@ Red Head: whats an MA cert?

@ Music Medic: whattya get fired for?

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Ok, so I called today. Apparently they are waiting on my driving record to come back. He said that takes the longest. After that, more paperwork, then I'm covering shifts and working medical support at events. Woohoo!!!

And congrats! You probly shoulda asked them if they wanted you to bring in a copy of your MVR, might have made it quicker.

Last edited by a moderator:

red_head

Forum Probie
Massachusetts is one of the few states that has their own testing/certification system.

You can work in MA as an EMT by being state certified, without being nationally certified.

If you're nationally certified and want to work in MA, you have to pay a :censored:load more money to take MA's written exam and get certified in MA as well.

Anything for the state to rake in more money....:rolleyes:

Stephanie.

Forum Captain
After I recieved my EMT-B cert... 2 weeks. But I gave up that job and moved to a different state, after I recieved my resciprocity, I'm still searching.. 4 months and counting. :-/ I work in Emergency Services... Just not on a rig

emtstudent04

Forum Lieutenant
After I recieved my EMT-B cert... 2 weeks. But I gave up that job and moved to a different state, after I recieved my resciprocity, I'm still searching.. 4 months and counting. :-/ I work in Emergency Services... Just not on a rig

I've been waiting for 4 months too :sad:

TransportJockey

Forum Chief

That sounds kinda familiar :p

Stephanie.

Forum Captain
I've been waiting for 4 months too :sad:

It sucks. Especially when your eager! And wanna run, learn, and take the next step. :-( and when you've worked so hard, busted rear thru EMT school and wait.. Or don't get hired because 'you don't have enough experience.. Blah blah blah'

emtstudent04

Forum Lieutenant
It sucks. Especially when your eager! And wanna run, learn, and take the next step. :-( and when you've worked so hard, busted rear thru EMT school and wait.. Or don't get hired because 'you don't have enough experience.. Blah blah blah'

Exactly i feel you on that because i did all that, worked hard for everything and i even went out and gained experience by doing ride alongs with paramedics. Im still waiting to get on somewhere. It's very frustrating, but i guess we both have to be patient.

TraprMike

Forum Lieutenant

that is BS,, takes about 30 seconds..
with that ,, take whatever they with a grain of salt.

MusicMedic

Forum Captain

got fired for Getting in a fender bender in one of the rigs... (they fired me cause it was my fault). i honestly think they used it as an excuse to get rid of too many people they hired