How long did it take EMT-B's to get their 1st job?

I heard PRN is getting bought out by Bowers, which is owned by Rural Metro. It's just rumors though, I'm not sure how true it is.

mike1390

Forum Captain
I heard EMTLIFE is getting bought out by google.... Just rumors though :glare:
be care about what you believe as well as sharing info that is just "rumor".

Not saying its not true and that it will never happen, but until the process is final nothing is certain, look at the McCormick/Flack deal that fell through at the last sec.

Or how about the "I heard LA City is going to start using AMR" its all coffe table talk lets try to do our best at not feeding rumors. Lets stick to the facts :D

OP
OP
B

bbmtnbb

Forum Crew Member
^Mike1390 - very witty comment above, yes agree rumors are rumors until i's are dotted and t's are crossed. I put in an app for Bowers in LB (YES willing to commute almost anywhere-just not move) they turned me down but persevering and putting in apps everyday until I am hired. :mellow: You live/work TO area?

I heard EMTLIFE is getting bought out by google.... Just rumors though :glare:
be care about what you believe as well as sharing info that is just "rumor".

Not saying its not true and that it will never happen, but until the process is final nothing is certain, look at the McCormick/Flack deal that fell through at the last sec.

Or how about the "I heard LA City is going to start using AMR" its all coffe table talk lets try to do our best at not feeding rumors. Lets stick to the facts :D

Regardless of the truth factor, it is still good to be aware of the rumors about the prospective company you want to work for.

mike1390

Forum Captain
I guess we are missing the point of what a rumor is... I can make 10 rumors up about PRN right now, it shouldn't make her change her mind about working there. Rumors are baseless hearsay non-sense.

OP
OP
B

bbmtnbb

Forum Crew Member
I just wanted to say they DO test-but if you know your stuff should not be a problem at all. Legit company and I am hoping they hire me! I need to get one or two things done first to be ready to go but will work that out.

They have a new large facility in North Hills and I like the staff and supervisors. Thanks for your help guys.

energystar

Forum Crew Member
I worked at PRN for a little while as my first EMT job. For an IFT company they are definitely one of the better ones in LA county. All supervisors and management were consistently helpful and in a good mood. Good luck on getting the job it's a good place to work.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
I was already an USAF firefighter when I passed my "EMT-Ambualnce" and had a civilian IFT job waiting.

This was 1977 though.:rofl:

SuprMedic

Forum Probie
It took me about 2 weeks for my EMT in so cal for an IFT company, but that was in 2006 when everyone in So Cal was hiring. It took me 2 months when I got my medic in 2011 but I had to go out of state. As far as LA County goes, the 4 places you'll get tons of 911 experience are McCormick, AMR, Care, and Schaefer, they all share the LA County Fire contract so they handle a lot of calls.

Always BSI

Forum Lieutenant
Took me 14 months to land an EMT job here in SoCal we do BLS/IFT. Been working for the last 8 months.

I'm glad to finally be moving on to another company where they do 911. They offered me PT (this past week) and its closer to home.

win win.

Action942Jackson

Forum Crew Member
3 months. Got hired on with a busy system 100k runs a year. All 9-1-1. As a greenhorn EMT. 9 years later I am medic in rural EMS.

OP
OP
B

bbmtnbb

Forum Crew Member
Orientation on Tuesday. :)

Anyone know what this consists of for PRN Ambulance in Los Angeles-North Hills office. Thanks

OP
OP
B

bbmtnbb

Forum Crew Member
So, to answer my own question-took me three weeks from applying to being hired and in orientation. :) Full time IFT but hospital transport not dialysis pts. Excited to get learning and doing the job.

RoadZOmbie

Forum Crew Member
So, to answer my own question-took me three weeks from applying to being hired and in orientation. :) Full time IFT but hospital transport not dialysis pts. Excited to get learning and doing the job.

I am planning on applying to prn. What did they test you on if you dont mind me asking? Thanks!

OP
OP
B

bbmtnbb

Forum Crew Member
Regular questions on test (about 30+/- questions) that are similar to your class final or NREMT. Not overly complicated but covered a lot of topics. On skills they did airway from OPA to NPA and O2 tank and nasal canula and BVM. Remember scene safety and BSI. Also they were moving that day and just unpacking from the move-so had very little out for skills. I believe they have settled in and will be doing more skills. Do you have experience of ANY sort? I have ER and hospital as an internship and that is why they hired me. Dress nice and bring a pen. Bring your certs if you have them all too. You need:
EMT card
DL
Ambu cert
Medical Examiner card
BLS for Healthcare Provider
think that is it. All current too
GOOD LUCK
which station would you try to work out of? I am North Hills but they have East LA and Glendale (also Lancaster but those guys don't leave)
Let me know if you get in.

OP
OP
B

bbmtnbb

Forum Crew Member
Oh and put together a good resume. If only education then a curriculum vitae. They are trying to not hire newbies with zero experience since they are upping the number of hospital contracts they have and not a dialysis bus type company. Put down anything related and be sure of yourself going into the interview. Don't be late due to traffic -they don't buy into that as there is ALWAYS traffic!!!

RoadZOmbie

Forum Crew Member
Oh and put together a good resume. If only education then a curriculum vitae. They are trying to not hire newbies with zero experience since they are upping the number of hospital contracts they have and not a dialysis bus type company. Put down anything related and be sure of yourself going into the interview. Don't be late due to traffic -they don't buy into that as there is ALWAYS traffic!!!

Dang. I would fall in the newbie category. I did an internship of 36 hours at a hospital and my ride a longs for class but thats it. Was it scenario based skills?

Either Glendale or East LA.

OP
OP
B

bbmtnbb

Forum Crew Member
Try anyway-it cannot hurt. Just highlight the actual experiences vs the time spent in your experiences. GOOD LUCK!