How long did it take EMT-B's to get their 1st job?

bbmtnbb

Forum Crew Member
A survey for all those who are employed in EMT work. AS an EMT-B how long did it take to get hired and how did you get that break? Any extra activities/courses to help you land a position? I just started and I now it takes awhile. Just looking for anything to get started and get my experience for EMT-P school. They all seem to want 6 months + experience with 911 experience. I am in So. Cal and will not be moving-own my own house so that is out. I don't need the money--sounds nice but I mean I want the money but part time is fine or full time-my husband makes a good living and this is what I WANT to do. Any help or insight for all us newbies is appreciated. Also no interest in holding the hose. Firefighter's daughter and not interested. :D So, doing the fire academy is out. THANKS !!

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
It took me about 13 months to get my first EMT job in the San Francisco Bay Area, and I still have zero 911 experience after two years of IFT-only. :[ It's easier than when I first started in my opinion.

OP
OP
B

bbmtnbb

Forum Crew Member
Is there a way to edit this post? I noticed a typo and want to fix it. Don't do two things at once--you get sloppy.

OP
OP
B

bbmtnbb

Forum Crew Member
Thanks APRZ-darn sure hope it does not take me that long. I have a year and a half of volunteer work in a hospital WITH patient contact and 6 months of that in the ER. One of the EMT's that comes in told me they count my experience and she used to do that before she was hired by them. I keep getting rejection thank you emails for my applications. Are you trying to switch to a 911 company?

sweetpete

Forum Lieutenant
I got hired as a "wheelchair van driver" while I was in EMT-B school and was offered the position of EMT-B once I passed the NR. Then, when I got my state cert, they put me on an ambulance doing IFTs.

So, where I was, it didn't take hardly anytime at all.

Take care,

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
About 2 months after EMT class to be hired at an event medical company. 3 months after EMT class to be hired full time for a 911 ALS ambulance company.

energystar

Forum Crew Member
About two months as well. Where are you looking? I would imagine the selection in Thousand Oaks is rather limited. Off the top of my head I only can think of AMR and Goldcoast. I am sure there are more. In the San Fernando Valley you have many IFT companies who will hire with no experience and that is only about 20-25 minutes away.

Try McCormick Ambulance Service.....911 in

Agoura Hills

Calabasas

Gardena

Hawthorne

Hidden Hills

Inglewood

Lawndale

Malibu

Redondo Beach

West Hollywood

Westlake Village

Marina Del Ray

Universal City

Carson

Lomita

Lynwood

Palos Verdes Estates

Rancho Palos Verdes

Rolling Hills

Rolling Hills Estates

South Gate

OP
OP
B

bbmtnbb

Forum Crew Member
^^

Thanks for info.
I just filled out an app with them and hit send on their link and it said page not found and when I went back all my info was gone-lol Guess I will do it again later.

BeachMedic

Forum Lieutenant
Took me about 4 months. Got hired at a 911 provider in Alameda County pretty fresh out of EMT school. Santa Clara County wanted to hire me but they didn't have a spot open at the time. So they forwarded all my info to Alameda County. One of the best things that ever happened to me. Fast forward 6 years and now I'm a medic on Oahu.

Advice? Interview well and dress to impress. Have some life experience. Be genuine. Humble, not cocky. Know your skills. As someone who has been on both sides of the interview table I can tell you that the number one thing on my mind is, "Could I stand a 12-24 hour shift with this person? "

Also never argue with a person who is evaluating you. There are tactful ways to ask questions. Once you get on the job and get some experience you can do things your way.

Vague statements for sure; but those simple things go a long way in this and most other fields.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Took me about 4 months. Got hired at a 911 provider in Alameda County pretty fresh out of EMT school. Santa Clara County wanted to hire me but they didn't have a spot open at the time. So they forwarded all my info to Alameda County. One of the best things that ever happened to me. Fast forward 6 years and now I'm a medic on Oahu.

Advice? Interview well and dress to impress. Have some life experience. Be genuine. Humble, not cocky. Know your skills. As someone who has been on both sides of the interview table I can tell you that the number one thing on my mind is, "Could I stand a 12-24 hour shift with this person? "

Also never argue with a person who is evaluating you. There are tactful ways to ask questions. Once you get on the job and get some experience you can do things your way.

Vague statements for sure; but those simple things go a long way in this and most other fields.
Ahaha, that's the area I work in now. It was so hard to get a job after they laid off those San Jose Firefighters and AMR was on a hiring freeze for awhile. Now it's Rural/Metro and Paramedic Plus. Seems like Paramedic Plus is kinda like a lottery. It's very difficult to get a hold of that guy, and now all he offers is a chance to interview for Patient Plus (Paramedic Plus IFT division).

I just interviewed for a 911 today, but I did awful in the interview and there were a lot of candidates so I doubt I'll get the job.

medic308

Forum Crew Member
While teaching a cpr class a month or two before emt class was over I was offered part time 911 that changes to full time after a 2 month probation period.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Hired before I finished the EMT Basic class. Never not had a job offer when I needed one.

Hired at two places the day I got my NREMT-P.

If you're having trouble, just keep looking.

OP
OP
B

bbmtnbb

Forum Crew Member
^^
Not quite the same- in So Cal-even Nor Cal gets hired fast. I notice you are from outside this area. Plus medic schools want 6 months 911 experience and NO one hires newbie EMT-B for 911 calls straight out. (ok rare instance like winning the lottery) I am looking for SO CAL EMT-B's or former EMT-B's moved up to Medics (not too long ago as it is a whole different economy out there and not so easy to get hired like 5-10 years ago). What made you stand out-how did you shape your resume. I am not a kid. I have life experience and interview well. I am very pleasant to work with and extremely hard working and energetic. SO getting an interview is what I need. Seems so far (not too long yet) no one wants to do that. I am not into dialysis jockeying. ANY ideas from SO Cal EMT-B's??

Thanks

OP
OP
B

bbmtnbb

Forum Crew Member
:rolleyes:
While teaching a cpr class a month or two before emt class was over I was offered part time 911 that changes to full time after a 2 month probation period.

I love the idea of teaching CPR-just signed up for instructor course- AHA Heartsaver and BLS! I have taken CPR for 20 years and BLS for 4. As my sister says-I always feel like I could teach the course every time I renew. lol This will give me even more experience and leadership. I actually am a teacher of small children so this will work well with my skills and goals. Keep me constantly up to date on BLS too. Thanks!!! :D

mike1390

Forum Captain
^^
Not quite the same- in So Cal-even Nor Cal gets hired fast. I notice you are from outside this area. Plus medic schools want 6 months 911 experience and NO one hires newbie EMT-B for 911 calls straight out. (ok rare instance like winning the lottery) I am looking for SO CAL EMT-B's or former EMT-B's moved up to Medics (not too long ago as it is a whole different economy out there and not so easy to get hired like 5-10 years ago). What made you stand out-how did you shape your resume. I am not a kid. I have life experience and interview well. I am very pleasant to work with and extremely hard working and energetic. SO getting an interview is what I need. Seems so far (not too long yet) no one wants to do that. I am not into dialysis jockeying. ANY ideas from SO Cal EMT-B's??

Thanks

I got hired right outside of EMT school from two 911 companies at 18 years old, it can happen. Iv taught emt students, and now have EMTs working under me who are old enough to be my parents, any able bodied person can join this work force. We cant tell you what worked for us is going to work for you. Honestly if you really wanna work for 911 then apply everywhere. commute do whatever needs to be done. Be persistant. The interviews will come. Fire departments and police departments are starting to hire again which mean a large exodus from the private EMS system in so cal, it comes in waves.

OP
OP
B

bbmtnbb

Forum Crew Member
It is PRN and I know it is not 911 but it will familiarize me with the rig and basics. Hopefully can transfer into a 911 company, as I am looking for experience.
I intern at an ER, and am working on AHA BLS intstructor and then medic school. As much practice as I can.

So, with this company I heard it is pretty much show certs and don't have a foot growing out of your head. lol BUT, if anyone is an employee or recent employee with advice (like what to wear for a girl-business casual is so much easier for a male) and any tests? I am studying anyway. I scored very high in my class and finished NREMT in 71 questions so pretty comfortable on testing. I do intern at an ER and keeps me somewhat up to date. Any info is ALWAYS appreciated! THANKS!