How has your call volume been lately?

EMSpassion94

Forum Crew Member
Hi all,

Due to the extreme heat we have seemed to be having over the past couple of days, I was curious to see if anyone else's call volume has gone up, as ours has. It seems like when it's 100+ degrees with 50% humidity, all hell seems to break loose around here. I guess the heat brings out the craziness in people. And the vomit, too. :glare:

Either way, what's your call volume like around this time of the year? When is your station/department at it's busiest, and why do you think?

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
I can't speak to the heat wave ya'll are having a bit east of me, but I can tell you that here the 4th of July has been the single busiest day for dispatch, police, fire and EMS consistently for years.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
Summer is usually up around here, but it's been slow lately. I went all day without a transport yesterday. The weekends are the only thing even remotely busy right now, when people come out to play on the lake.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Heat hasn't done anything for my area because people are used to being in heat this time of year anyhow.

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
I can't speak to the heat wave ya'll are having a bit east of me, but I can tell you that here the 4th of July has been the single busiest day for dispatch, police, fire and EMS consistently for years.

Lucky. I sat through the 4th without one freaking call. :wacko:

And our call volume is waaaaay down right now. No idea why......

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
Eh, it's been kind of slow here lately, which is kind of unusual for the sumner

Sent from my mobile command center

Epi-do

I see dead people
We have been so erratic lately, it is ridiculous. I do have to say, I am surprised we haven't had more respiratory calls though. The heat, coupled with the humidity has been down right oppressive. Maybe all of those people have actually been smart enough to stay in the air conditioning...or they are calling on the other shifts.

OP
OP
E

EMSpassion94

Forum Crew Member
Yeah, it was dead quiet around here on the 4th of July, too. But it was CRAZY on the 3rd.

I live not too far outside Manassas, VA, where they are having a big crazy reinactment thing going on for the 150th cival war annv. Supposed to be close to 10,000 spectators and 20,000 reinactors, in WOOL COATS AND PANTS. I THIIIINK we are going to be a BIT busy this weekend.....:wacko:

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
Yeah, it was dead quiet around here on the 4th of July, too. But it was CRAZY on the 3rd.

I live not too far outside Manassas, VA, where they are having a big crazy reinactment thing going on for the 150th cival war annv. Supposed to be close to 10,000 spectators and 20,000 reinactors, in WOOL COATS AND PANTS. I THIIIINK we are going to be a BIT busy this weekend.....:wacko:

Heh. My hubby, who works deep inside Fairfax County, thought he was going to make it out there today, it was so hot.

We had a reenactment here in podunk central VA a few years ago during May, and the temp spiked up to 95 degrees one day. It was ugly.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Days have been slow lately, but we've been getting hammered at night (and not in the good way...)

94H

Forum Lieutenant
Its been Killer here. We are usually everyone elses backup for mutual aid and we've been calling them in multiple times during the day for the past four weeks. Then again one of the directors told me in early June that we were up 800 calls compared to last year by then. So this heat wave isnt helping things at all.

I couldnt even get to a post today, thats how busy we were

StickySideDown

Forum Crew Member
Throughout the year working 12 hr shifts at night 6p to 6a during the week , we run around 4 or 5 calls. Day shifts on the weekends, 6a to 6p can bring in 10 or so calls easily.

EDIT : The heat hasn't added too many calls.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Our call volumes have gone up by alot. It's summer which means all the older people come to our response area. As I'm writing this message we have 0 ambulances inservice in our response area.

feldy

Forum Captain
Call volume is through the roof. In a 12 hour shift 6-7 trucks ran 120+ calls. We ran 14 calls in our 12 hour shift.

Last edited by a moderator:

socalmedic

Mediocre at best
our call volume is wayyy down. we used to average 100 calls/day, but lately we have only been getting 60 or so, it is really hurting the bottom line... but i am happy

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
Call volume is through the roof. In a 12 hour shift 6-7 trucks ran 120+ calls. We ran 14 calls in our 12 hour shift.

That averages out to be about 17 calls per truck. What are your transport times like?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
Our call volume is way up: we have set a record: right now we are at 3 runs more YTD than we did all last year.

anyone complains about being slow I get to 'Gibbs Slap' them. We have had 80 calls this year.

Anjel

Forum Angel
On the BLS side our transfers are slow. 911 is slower than normal but seems busier cuz they have cut cars.

They just stopped OT for the basic side. I am not a happy camper.

feldy

Forum Captain
That averages out to be about 17 calls per truck. What are your transport times like?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tx time 8-12 mins. i did not count a few sprint cars that did not transport pts but still responded to calls