How hard is it to find a job as an EMT??

BellJeffery

Forum Ride Along
Hi there,

I just enrolled to school. And on May 22nd 2017 I'll sign up for EMT program at Tacoma community college. I'm wondering how hard is it to find a job? I want to become a PA but starting with the EMT >> Paramedic >> PA and when should I volunteer as an EMT? Since I'm a female would it be harder than a guy to get hired? Sorry I've got so many questions I was asking the counselor at the school but they didn't seem to know much about it. Please feel free to give me any advice and recommendations. Thank you

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
Where are you? It's not hard to get a job in some places, others you might have to do some work.

@Brandon O can speak for it better than I, but medic school isn't worth it in my opinion if you want to be a PA.

OP
OP
B

BellJeffery

Forum Ride Along
I live in Washington (Tacoma-Seattle) I went to general info session for PA program and saw that Paramedic/EMT have a pretty high chance to get into PA program than other career in medical field. I like paramedic, if I don't get pick for PA school then at least I have something that I like to do.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
I don't know anything about the Seattle, I'll let one of the left coasters chime in.

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
Like they said, depends on where you are; some places extremely hard unless you have lots of experience; other places if you have Cert, and are breathing you get hired

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Hi there,

I just enrolled to school. And on May 22nd 2017 I'll sign up for EMT program at Tacoma community college. I'm wondering how hard is it to find a job? I want to become a PA but starting with the EMT >> Paramedic >> PA and when should I volunteer as an EMT? Since I'm a female would it be harder than a guy to get hired? Sorry I've got so many questions I was asking the counselor at the school but they didn't seem to know much about it. Please feel free to give me any advice and recommendations. Thank you

Go to TCC's EMS program office and talk to Melissa Stoddard. She'll give you all the info you need.

anxiouslynicole

Forum Ride Along
I live in upstate ny and I've had my card for over a month now and I still haven't been able to find anything. I think it all depends on where you're located. Around me though, I know you can't even volunteer as an emt until you've passed the course, so that might be something you want to ask your instructor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
I live in upstate ny and I've had my card for over a month now and I still haven't been able to find anything. I think it all depends on where you're located. Around me though, I know you can't even volunteer as an emt until you've passed the course, so that might be something you want to ask your instructor.

how? what are you classifying as upstate NY? Capital district literally can't find enough EMT's... may not be for the best companies... but still its $$ and a job. Syracuse is the same, and Buffalo was the same as of 2 months ago.

anxiouslynicole

Forum Ride Along
how? what are you classifying as upstate NY? Capital district literally can't find enough EMT's... may not be for the best companies... but still its $$ and a job. Syracuse is the same, and Buffalo was the same as of 2 months ago.

I'm near Oswego. I've applied but I haven't gotten any call backs.

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
I'm near Oswego. I've applied but I haven't gotten any call backs.

i would keep going toward Syracuse, or eastern Rochester.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
As has been mentioned in other threads, getting a job as an EMT is pretty easy. Getting a good job as an EMT is pretty difficult, especially if you want to get paid well.

It's been about 15 years since I was in Syracuse, but when I was there, Rural Metro covered much of the city and several of the surrounding towns (but I think someone else has taken over the contract), and the county agencies (NAVAC, SAVES, EAVES, WAVES) hired EMTs. I don't know if they are hiring currently, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Look in your big cities, the larger the population area, the greater the chance they will have EMT positions (and yes, this means you might have to do a little driving to your new job, one hour isn't all that unreasonable). You WON'T be getting rich as an EMT, but it will be a job. Oh and the big cities usually interview and hire in bunches, so not hearing anything after 2 months isn't unreasonable.... but after 3 to 6 months, then I would follow up with an email to see what their status is.

you can also look at the non-emergency transport companies / convalescence services. They will often hire EMTs.

D7s

Forum Ride Along
Over here in the Bay Area they were hiring students who haven't even finished their EMT class because thats how bad they needed people. (obviously contingent on passing NREMT and getting certs)

rescue1

Forum Asst. Chief
Philly area squads are usually hiring EMTs and are almost always hiring medics somewhere. I was hired the week after I sent my application to one agency haha.
Decent pay ($15-19/hour) for basics too.

Church93

Forum Ride Along
Companies I know of around here (I'm new too) are AMR - Fife, Rural Metro - Fife, Falck - Pierce County, Tri Med- Kent, Olympic Ambulance - Bremerton, Lacy. There's also AMR and Falck up towards Seattle and Northwest ambulance farther north than that. Hope I gave you one you haven't heard of. Good luck!

OP
OP
B

BellJeffery

Forum Ride Along
Companies I know of around here (I'm new too) are AMR - Fife, Rural Metro - Fife, Falck - Pierce County, Tri Med- Kent, Olympic Ambulance - Bremerton, Lacy. There's also AMR and Falck up towards Seattle and Northwest ambulance farther north than that. Hope I gave you one you haven't heard of. Good luck!

Thank you so much

PAMOMTWINS

Forum Ride Along
Over here in the Bay Area they were hiring students who haven't even finished their EMT class because thats how bad they needed people. (obviously contingent on passing NREMT and getting certs)
That's encouraging! Always wanted to move to California!