How hard is it to find a job as an EMT??

linda simeone

Forum Ride Along
Hi there,

I just enrolled to school. And on May 22nd 2017 I'll sign up for EMT program at Tacoma community college. I'm wondering how hard is it to find a job? I want to become a PA but starting with the EMT >> Paramedic >> PA and when should I volunteer as an EMT? Since I'm a female would it be harder than a guy to get hired? Sorry I've got so many questions I was asking the counselor at the school but they didn't seem to know much about it. Please feel free to give me any advice and recommendations. Thank you

linda simeone

Forum Ride Along
Well, depending on where you reside. I live in CA (Los Angeles), there are tons of independent ambulance companies, plus hospitals. There is also Craigs List. I have been an EMT for 18 years, specifically as an EVENT MEDIC, which means I exclusively work for concerts, street festivals, film shoots, etc. I specialize in those kind of venues like TOUGH MUDDER, SPARTAN RACE. Google: AMPHIBIOUS MEDICS, good place to start, they are nationwide and often hold local events across the USA. I contracted for them for 5+ years, had a blast. Good company to work with, good pay. The owner, Michael Donahue, is very nice and a good businessman and the company is Veteran owned. But, aside from EVENT work, scout your local hospitals, fire departments. You might have to start as a volunteer on some independent fire company, just to get experience. Good for you wanting to be a P.A.....EMT is a great stepping stone to any career medical related. You will soon know if this is the field for you. Being an EMT is a great gateway to becoming: A paramedic, nurse, P.A., doctor, surgeon, etc. Do not be discouraged, keep moving forward. Think outside of the box. Also your school might offer counseling as to who is hiring. Often in EMT class, towards the end, various ambulance companies will often come in to solicit new EMTS. Do not forget AMR, they, too are Nationwide. Don't let your gender stop you. Female EMTs rock, we are more maternal. If you have cable/Sattelite TV, tune in to TLC's wide range of programs from: "Trauma: Life in the ER," to...EMERGENCY 24/7, etc. They have an entire network of shows geared round EMS, which I find inspiring. Keep moving forward and good luck. Most ambulance companies will hire newbies, it's how we all get started....but....if you have to volunteer for 6 mos. or so, you will gain valuable experience.

OP
OP
B

BellJeffery

Forum Ride Along
Well, depending on where you reside. I live in CA (Los Angeles), there are tons of independent ambulance companies, plus hospitals. There is also Craigs List. I have been an EMT for 18 years, specifically as an EVENT MEDIC, which means I exclusively work for concerts, street festivals, film shoots, etc. I specialize in those kind of venues like TOUGH MUDDER, SPARTAN RACE. Google: AMPHIBIOUS MEDICS, good place to start, they are nationwide and often hold local events across the USA. I contracted for them for 5+ years, had a blast. Good company to work with, good pay. The owner, Michael Donahue, is very nice and a good businessman and the company is Veteran owned. But, aside from EVENT work, scout your local hospitals, fire departments. You might have to start as a volunteer on some independent fire company, just to get experience. Good for you wanting to be a P.A.....EMT is a great stepping stone to any career medical related. You will soon know if this is the field for you. Being an EMT is a great gateway to becoming: A paramedic, nurse, P.A., doctor, surgeon, etc. Do not be discouraged, keep moving forward. Think outside of the box. Also your school might offer counseling as to who is hiring. Often in EMT class, towards the end, various ambulance companies will often come in to solicit new EMTS. Do not forget AMR, they, too are Nationwide. Don't let your gender stop you. Female EMTs rock, we are more maternal. If you have cable/Sattelite TV, tune in to TLC's wide range of programs from: "Trauma: Life in the ER," to...EMERGENCY 24/7, etc. They have an entire network of shows geared round EMS, which I find inspiring. Keep moving forward and good luck. Most ambulance companies will hire newbies, it's how we all get started....but....if you have to volunteer for 6 mos. or so, you will gain valuable experience.

Thank you very much!! This makes me feel better :)

PassionMedic

Forum Crew Member
I'm near Oswego. I've applied but I haven't gotten any call backs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try menter. Don't just apply online. Call, or walk in and see if you can apply in person. They are usually looking for people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hometownmedic5

Forum Asst. Chief
As the rigidly applied doctrine around here goes, if you've seen on ems system, you've seen one system. That being said, I've personally seen 8 services, and have reliable data from almost the rest of the private organizations that have operated in my state in the last 13 years; so lets say I can speak for Massachusetts.

In Ma, barring legal problems or a history of poor job performance, anybody with active credentials should be able to find a BLS IFT job, with or without a variable degree and type of emergency work, with minimal effort. This state is overrun with private ambulance companies, very few(if any) of which are able to fill their schedule without overtime. Thusly, they are almost always hiring. Some have tougher entrance requirements. Some are a little pickier in terms of who they want(age, experience); but in general, getting an ambulance job in this state is about as hard as filling out an application.

My readings here suggest some states are essentially the same, while some are dominated by one or two companies who dont need to recruit, nor hire people that dont meet their high standards just to put meat in the seat. I would recommend finding state specific data before committing to school.

Unless there is a program/state specific requirement, paramedic school may be unnecessary for you. Ive known several PAs that got their contact hours as EMTs. Paramedic school will cost you several thousand dollars, take over a year(potentially closer to two), and do little to prepare you for PA school. If all you're doing is checking the clinical contact hours box, it might not be your most beneficial use of time.