How do you find an IFT

hurt88

Forum Crew Member
How do you find out if an Ambulance service is strictly IFT? I just passed my state test to become an EMT-B and I'm just waiting for my cert. to show up in the mail so I can start applying places. I've heard that IFT's are generally the easiest to get onto because most people don't like working them and the turnover right is high. I'd just like to get some experience under my belt. I'm from Southern Illinois if anyone knows of any.

Ghost

Forum Crew Member
How do you find out if an Ambulance service is strictly IFT? I just passed my state test to become an EMT-B and I'm just waiting for my cert. to show up in the mail so I can start applying places. I've heard that IFT's are generally the easiest to get onto because most people don't like working them and the turnover right is high. I'd just like to get some experience under my belt. I'm from Southern Illinois if anyone knows of any.

You'd most likely have to call them up and ask indirect questions to find out.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm from Southern Illinois if anyone knows of any.

What part? That's a pretty big expanse of territory and depending on your definition of "southern Illinois" that could be anywhere from Peoria to Carbondale.

OP
OP
H

hurt88

Forum Crew Member
What part? That's a pretty big expanse of territory and depending on your definition of "southern Illinois" that could be anywhere from Peoria to Carbondale.

Southern Southern Illinois haha....down closer to Carbondale I'm at DuQuoin about 25 minutes North of Carbondale. I just have only seen emergency ambulance services around here and never just strictly transfers and what not. I wasn't sure if IFT was more of a bigger city sort of thing or if I'm just overlooking.

OP
OP
H

hurt88

Forum Crew Member
You'd most likely have to call them up and ask indirect questions to find out.

That's the thing though, I don't know who to specifically call. Every service I know off around here runs emergency calls which I plan on applying at these places too and would be more then happy to start out like that. I just figured I'd have a better shot at getting on quicker with an IFT company since many people don't stay there very long or atleast I've heard.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
That's the thing though, I don't know who to specifically call. Every service I know off around here runs emergency calls which I plan on applying at these places too and would be more then happy to start out like that. I just figured I'd have a better shot at getting on quicker with an IFT company since many people don't stay there very long or atleast I've heard.
Most rural ambulance services do both.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
Have you looked at their website? Usually, if they do 911, they'll promote that. If not, it's usually some nonspecific reference to high quality care and such.

OP
OP
H

hurt88

Forum Crew Member
Most rural ambulance services do both.

Ya thats what I'm thinking is the case around here...When I did my ride time at Carbondale which is Jackson County Ambulance Service they had people calling in to schedule pickups and transfers then we also got 911 calls.

Have you looked at their website? Usually, if they do 911, they'll promote that. If not, it's usually some nonspecific reference to high quality care and such.

No I don't believe they have a website at least not one that I can find.