Votes: 32 27.8%
  • In jump bag

Votes: 22 19.1%
  • Don't carry

Votes: 12 10.4%

• Total voters

Sasha

Forum Chief
:rolleyes: the rolley eye is a little sarcastic..... actually it looks like a smiley face

I always saw it more as an ADD smiley "So you know about stethescopes---look a plane!"

VentMedic

Forum Chief
I understand it could do damage, I was being a bit sarcastic. They should really make a sarcasm font or smiley or something.

You may but there are many here that may not. We have some very young newcomers to the profession here. Some may not know the dangers of being around a helicopter. I also find it difficult to even comment on what they may or may not know about the pathogens on their stethoscopes. Safety and infection control seem to be two very weak areas in EMS.

Last edited by a moderator:

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
A coworker was strangled half to death once.

Also military-wise it is a uniform discrepancy according to most commanders I've worked under.
Rear view mirror?.......:glare:

DV_EMT

Forum Asst. Chief
Well it kinda depends for me...

If I'm off the clock its usually in my bag... either my jump bag or my book bag.

On the clock... usually in my left thigh cargo pocket (i keep gloves in my right)

If I'm doing START triage or MCI... around my neck is appropriate (for easy access)

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Ps:

Bend it in half and tuck it at least 1/2 it's length up under yout belt at the hip.
Always carry spare ear tips.

Medic One

Forum Lieutenant
I never got into putting it around my neck.
I usually leave it in my airway bag...got into that habit 20years ago and haven't broken it yet.

karaya

EMS Paparazzi
Premium Member
I have a Sherpa carry mine for me.

VCEMT

Forum Captain
In a trauma bag, med box, and on the bench. 95% of the time, fire will have already done a workup and we reassess enroute. If it is a medical that isn't serious, we'll reassess on scene.

Sasha

Forum Chief
In a trauma bag, med box, and on the bench. 95% of the time, fire will have already done a workup and we reassess enroute. If it is a medical that isn't serious, we'll reassess on scene.

What is the point of reassesing right after you've done your intial assesment??

VCEMT

Forum Captain
Wouldn't you want to know if there is ronchi, rales, or wheezing? Or do you not auscultate and take the word of someone else? So, that's why we keep 'em in the med box, trauma bag, and bench.

JPINFV

Gadfly
This is liable to rub some folks the wrong way. But I wholeheartedly believe that any patient care provider (regardless of the level) that uses a stethescope and doesn't have it within easy reach, is a provider who is lacking. I keep mine on my person; either around my neck or in my pocket.

As tempted as I'm to say, "blah, what ever," I can't help but notice the amount of physicians that walk through my school (and the hospital that we're affiliated with is about 30-45 minutes down the freeway, so it's not like they're just stopping in after seeing patients) with stethoscopes in their lab coat pocket.

Scout

Para-Noid
doesn't have it within easy reach, is a provider who is lacking. I keep mine on my person

I think I can see where you are coming from, But even in the Amb I work out of the grab bag, it is not in an external access or closed cabinet. But within easy reach and on your person are not the same thing.

Vent or anyone else. Is a stet usable in the heli, I have always assumed not but I might as well stop assuming at some stage.

BruceD

Forum Lieutenant
I do carry mine around my neck, however, what I wear has a collar (thankfully, because I hate the feel of a steth touching my neck) and I constantly and consistently use the sani-wipes.

As tempted as I'm to say, "blah, what ever," I can't help but notice the amount of physicians that walk through my school (and the hospital that we're affiliated with is about 30-45 minutes down the freeway, so it's not like they're just stopping in after seeing patients) with stethoscopes in their lab coat pocket.

Speaking from experience of someone who has had to carry one for long periods of time, it's quite likely they forget it's there. I have felt quite the tool a few times when I've suddenly realized I've walked into a restaurant or gas station with mine still around my neck.

Oddly, I knew a doc who used to walk around for hours with his 'scope stuck in his ears. I always wondered if he was hard of hearing and that helped or something... He was and is a fantastically intelligent man.

Stay safe
-B

AZFF/EMT

Forum Lieutenant
1 in the airway bag. 1 in the trauma and if Im on the rescue there is always 2 hanging on the o2 trees

Level1pedstech

Forum Captain
I did think of an exception to the stethoscope around the neck=tool rule. If you are a student at any level and you are following me or any other staff member for a shift you will need to have your stethoscope around your neck or in your pocket. Most EMT-B's only get one or two shifts in the ED and its the time when you need to get your hands on as many patients as you can and practice all of your new skills.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
During my clinical rotations in the ED or on the floor... it was around my neck.

On shift, it usually ends up in the cab of the truck and I take it with me for calls. I try to keep it off my neck... but not always successful. Once used, it ends up "somewhere" in the back of the rig in a place of convenience.

There is one place I don't usually bother bringing my scope, because the ALS gear bags have a Littmann in them already... no sense bringing mine and forgetting it.

When I do special events, it ends up in my issued gear bag, as the scope in there is crap, and it keeps the scope with the BP cuffs and rest of the gear.