How do you carry your radio?

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
we don't usually do online med control either, but we contact hospitals to let 'em know we're coming.

What would dispatch or anothe rig need you for when you're loaded with patient, and therefore out of service? You might need them, but you're numbers are off the table.

EMT007

Forum Lieutenant
But if you are already in the truck, you should have the radios that are in the cab that you can grab

Eh, I still prefer to have my radio actually on me at all times. I suppose if you have radios built into the patient care area of your rigs (we don't). But really, why wouldn't you have it with you, even in the back of the rig? Its not like it's particularly difficult to do, and where else would you put it that is so much more convenient?

EMT007

Forum Lieutenant
we don't usually do online med control either, but we contact hospitals to let 'em know we're coming.

What would dispatch or anothe rig need you for when you're loaded with patient, and therefore out of service? You might need them, but you're numbers are off the table.

I can think of lots of reasons, not the least of which is simply always knowing what's going on with other units within your department. Maybe its just my dept, but we were told from the beginning of training - "whenever you are on duty, you must have a radio with you at all times and must monitor the appropriate frequencies. Period." Its the same for the LAFD medics - they always have their portable radios with them. I guess its just a foreign concept to me to not "need" your radio at any point while working.

MAEMT

Forum Ride Along
wow you guys are lucky, @ my full time job we dont have portables unless you work the overnight...i do have one @ the fire department though which just gets clipped to my belt because it is the trucks so after i put the pt in the back it comes off of me.

Flight-LP

Forum Deputy Chief
I usually leave it in the charger.

I have a pager and cell phone, the day room is right down the hall, and my bedroom is right outside their door. They can get a hold of me. When we are on a flight, we use the aircraft's radio and we do not do scene calls so I really dont need it. I've used it once and that was to ask if anyone wanted food!

ABEMS

Forum Crew Member
I carry me radio on the left side of my body with the mic wire around my back. the mic, I attach it to my mic holder on my right shoulder

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
I dont.

We have three radio systems on our trucks that must be used to cover the whole county. To help with that problem we have an expensive MACom portable that does it all. I hear they cost thousands of dollars... so one to a truck. We have motorolas they will talk on the med channels only, but I usually cant find one when I get to work. My partner simply must have a radio, so I do without.
In the winter I use a radio harness like NYFD so I can keep my jacket where I want it; over my belt and closed. In the summer i put it on my belt like everyone else I suppose.

I simply must have everyone on my truck having a radio. I wouldn't be able to work in your system.

I use one of those motorola turn it upside down things.

tydek07

Forum Captain
Here is a picture of those Motorola turn upside down things ;) We also use these here, kinda big and bulky, but work nicely...

Hard_Leather_Carry_Case_Left_Facing_RLN6302.jpg

nomofica

Forum Asst. Chief
Clipped to my duty belt using the stock belt clip on the radio, ear piece plugged in and in my ear, and PTT thumb mic on my collar.

HokieEMT

Forum Probie
I just put mine on my belt usually. I have a pair of the 5.11 EMS pants so I occasionally use the strap above the right rear pocket. I have put it in the "radio pocket" of my job shirt before but that usually just in 7-11 or the like.

For us once on scene and until we clear the hospital almost all comms is done through our portable. When in the back I usually put it in the space between the wall and the bench seat cushions or on the web net at the end. We do all of our consults through the portable unless it makes that wonderful "low-battery" chirping sound then ill move up to the opening between the front cab and the box and use the main radio. We have that Orange Button too and if touched dispatch automatically clears the channel and asks what is the situation. Only ever accidently hit though thankfully.

We also keep one out of our Special Unit in our watch room to listen to working fires and rescues. Yes we re squirrels to the bone lol.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
in a swivel radio holster. hard to accidentally lose, makes sure it is always with me.

oh, and reasons to have a portable? to call for help (dangerous scene), to call dispatch to request or cancel ALS from inside a residence, to call for help (additional resources needed), to tell dispatch you are ok when they havn't heard from you in 20 minutes, did I mention to call for help? oh and to hear when you have an assignment, or to acknowledge you received one on the pagers, so you aren't chained to the truck.

timmy84

Forum Crew Member
on my partners waist... my service requires the medic to wear the radio on ALS trucks. When I work basic-basic shifts I tend to leave keep it in the jump bag in the little empty pocket on the front, or if the clip is not broken, clipped to the strap

Fox800

Forum Captain
Maxpedition radio holster on a nylon duty belt. We have to carry a LOT of stuff and a removable duty belt is a nice thing when you get back to the station and want to relax.
0102B-radio-holder.jpg

Honestly, radios are an issue where I am very particular. If your service issues two radios per truck, both crewmembers should be carrying them. Period. It's a safety issue. If you're separated and need help, you're going to want your radio to get PD/SO en route. And don't tell me that it's OK because you carry a cell phone. None of this "my partner carries one, so I don't" crap.

Last edited by a moderator:

taz1890

Forum Ride Along
Scary stuff

Our agency requires everyone to carry a portable radio - turned on - at all times. I would never get on a truck with a partner who did not have a radio with them...my partner's radio is MY protection. What would those of you who don't carry portable radios do if you or your partner got jumped on a call?

Also - do your agencies not do safety status checks? We are checked on by our communications center after the first 5 minutes on the scene, and every 10 minutes after that to make sure we are ok.

I would love to hear what you guys do - I know having portable radios on us has saved us several times over the years.

Fox800

Forum Captain
Radio discipline is something that drives me ballistic. I used to work with random partners all the time and it would drive me crazy how they didn't have their radios on. Dispatch would try to tell something important (address change, new information to stage) and they wouldn't hear it. If you don't carry a radio that's available, or don't have it turned on and dialed in to the correct channel, you're an idiot. That's it! You're asking for trouble.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Also - do your agencies not do safety status checks? We are checked on by our communications center after the first 5 minutes on the scene, and every 10 minutes after that to make sure we are ok.
wooooooooooooow. 5 minutes and you get a status check? I have been in apartment buildings where we haven't even made patient contact within the first 5 minutes of being on scene.

my agency runs EMS in the two worst cities in NJ, and both cities routinely make the list for top 10 :censored::censored::censored::censored:holes in the US. And we only do checks every 20 minutes.

mcdonl

Forum Captain
Some people at one service I have were issued the corded extension mics that go by the collar. They work, but I can't see any advantage. I was given one but don't use it and it isn't required.

I have one of those, and it is very helpful if I am running a pump on an engine, or if you are in a noisy area. I am still a student so on the EMS side I do not use the radio unless I am a the driver and in that case I use the rig's radio. I do announce to the IC that I am on scene if I go direct.

Our rig's all have 2 radio's mounted in the back one is setup for the hospital, and the other is on our FD/EMS frequency. State Fire and mutual aid towns are programmed in as well. All members carry radio's.

Also, when we arrive on scene of a Fire/EMS call only the IC communicates with dispatch, everyone else goes off repeater except traffic control... they go to state fire.

If it is just an EMS call the EMT/MEDIC is the only one to communicate with dispatch until the rig is underway, and then the driver takes over communications with dispatch and the medic only communicates with the recieving hospital.

There is so much to learn. I have learned a lot in the past 3 months but everyday I learn something new. I love this stuff!