How do EMTs deal with suicidal adolescents?

Sandiistaken123

Forum Probie
I ask because I am a 15 year old student, and have heard of a lot of girls in my grade going in an ambulance for suicidal ideation/attempts. What usually goes on if they are conscious and/or unharmed?

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I ask because I am a 15 year old student, and have heard of a lot of girls in my grade going in an ambulance for suicidal ideation/attempts. What usually goes on if they are conscious and/or unharmed?
They get assessed for any medical issues, transported to the emergency department and referred to behavioral health.

CCCSD

Forum Deputy Chief
I think you need to concentrate on being a 15 year old and not on adult life right now.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
Do any of the girls ever discuss those experiences?

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
That’s an interesting segue: is the EMS system an appropriate method for dealing with teenage problems? Not so much the legitimate medical issues of a person, but why do we need to send a dedicated emergency vehicle and crew to transport Little Susie Sadness to a “pediatric” psych center when a minivan and driver, cops, etc could do the same thing?

Seirende

Washed Up Paramedic/ EMT Dropout
That’s an interesting segue: is the EMS system an appropriate method for dealing with teenage problems? Not so much the legitimate medical issues of a person, but why do we need to send a dedicated emergency vehicle and crew to transport Little Susie Sadness to a “pediatric” psych center when a minivan and driver, cops, etc could do the same thing?
What are you thinking as the major factor between pediatric and adult psychiatric emergencies?

Seirende

Washed Up Paramedic/ EMT Dropout
That they are psych issues, not an EMS responsibility nor LE.

Sorry, I meant differentiating factors. Missed a word when I typed it

E tank

Caution: Paralyzing Agent
Well, if it isn't an EMS transport issue, it certainly isn't a police one.

That said, there is a difference between the initially contacted individual with the ability to harm him or herself and that same person who has been medically determined not to have a metabolic/organic reason for their presenting issue. The former is absolutely a person that qualifies for EMS transport (as opposed to non-skilled). After the ER visit, that patient still needs safe, controlled transport to an emergency psych facility. We use to call that the wheelchair car, not an ambulance or police car.

nerf

Forum Ride Along
ehhh, maybe so. But It's a good thing to put on my resume
As someone who is in high school while being in EMT school, while it has a *coolness* factor, I'd highly recommend you wait until around senior year, when you CAN have more slack in your grades.
If you intend to go to university, your sophomore and junior grades are CRUCIAL.

Senior year 1st semester, I had all A grades besides 1 B+ in a class, when I started the actual EMT portion of my program, my grades dropped to 1 A-, 2 A, 2 B, and 1 B-.
Also, my classes end at around 8:30-10PM, and I get home, eat, shower, and do my primary school work. Often times I slept at around 3-4AM. I became kinda known to my classmates for falling asleep in class.

Also I doubt that an ambulance service would take a 16yo in high school compared to someone who is 18 and had more experience in the world.
Edit- NREMT also requires you to be 18.

Enjoy your high school life while you can, and worry about being an EMT either after high school or during senior year.
(Also being at a close age to your classmates in EMT school make it much more fun)

If you have any questions about being in high school and being in EMT school feel free to message me.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Why? You can’t work as an EMT. Finish HS first, that’s a bit more important than trying to be a hero to your friends.
You absolutely can work as an EMT at 16 in Pennsylvania. (Not a great idea, but it’s happening all across the state)

CCCSD

Forum Deputy Chief
You absolutely can work as an EMT at 16 in Pennsylvania. (Not a great idea, but it’s happening all across the state)
Full time employment, driving, etc? I don’t think so. Children running calls they shouldn’t.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
I wouldn't want to be the one paying the agency insurance bills.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Connecticut also does EMT certification at 16. There the famous/infamous high school run squad serving a town—