How close is your Trauma Center?

Fbarba123

Forum Lieutenant
I live in Monterey County, Ca.

We currently have no county trauma center and all of our major Trauma victims have to get flown out.

we have around 600+ patients flown out every year

Our closest trauma center is roughly 60 miles north, and the closest one south is at least 300 miles.

The county is currently working towards having one of the county hospitals receive the designation.

So this make me wonder, how close is your nearest trauma center?

And Designation counts leve i ,ii, iii or iv

Veneficus

Forum Chief
So this make me wonder, how close is your nearest trauma center?

And Designation counts leve i ,ii, iii or iv

<10 miles

I am not in the US currently, but it is the highest level available here. Comparable to a level I.

From your OP, it may be difficult to find the resources required to maintain any level higher than perhaps III.

~600 patients a year is not a lot and trauma is an expensive undertaking for a majority of people who are not capable of paying.

Such a small patient volume in addition to economic prohibition will also have trouble attracting and maintaining highly sought after providers. Especially if any significant portion of the patients flown really didn't require highly advanced care.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
We have four Level 3's an hour away in each direction, nearest level 2 is approximately 2.5 hours away, and nearest level 1 is 3 hours away.

All times are ground transport times.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
One level I is an hour to the east, a level I is 45 minutes to the west, and there are two level IIIs within an hour as well.

Tommerag

What day is it?
I have 2 level II centers 15 min to my south.

frdude1000

Forum Captain
Level III - 10 min ground
Level I - 20 min ground (burn center)
Level I - 40 min ground

These times do not factor in L/S

OP
OP
F

Fbarba123

Forum Lieutenant
Monterey County is looking to attain a Level II designation.

But as you stated, alot of the population is uninsured, and I'm not totally sure that it would be feasible given the amount of fly-out..

But I will leave that to the EMS director to decide.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Our Regional Center is UC DAVIS

...and they want out. They got rid of their own helo ops years ago. Now we have a second center in the more-southernly county at Kaiser...good luck getting records for insurance and indigent care dollars.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
I have a level 3 trauma center (ETMC Athens) 30ish minutes to my south. I have 2 world renowned level 1 trauma centers (Baylor and Parkland) about an hour to my west. I have a level 1 and level 2 trauma center (ETMC Tyler and Trinity Mother Frances) almost an hour to my east.

It takes 22 minutes of flight time to get a helicopter to the center part of my county.

Last edited by a moderator:

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
At my paying gig, I have a choice of 5 Level I trauma centers, all within a 5-10 minute ride. It's hard to get out of the city, to a level II. At my volunteer gig, 7-10 minutes to a Level II, 15 to a level I. We're spoiled, I know.

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
Level 1 (pediatric): ~ 5 min
Level 1: ~ 20 min
Level 1: ~ 20 min
Level 1: < 30 min

Level 2: < 10 min
Level 2 (burn center): ~ 5 min
Level 2: ~30 min

Level 3: ~ 25 min
Level 3: ~ 30 min

This is from my house (which is pretty central in the jurisdiction I work for). Guess we live in a pretty good place to get hurt. Or have an MCI near :rolleyes:

Veneficus

Forum Chief
In these places with a trauma center every 10 or so feet, it makes me wonder if they happen to meet the designation criteria or if they have a specific interest in treating trauma.

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
One of the largest Trauma I's in the US is 5 miles from me.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
One of the largest Trauma I's in the US is 5 miles from me.

And it's regional.

In trauma volume matters.

If you have 4 level Is that each see 500 patients and a bunch of level IIs and/or IIIs that see an equal amount,

When you get hurt you get the benefit of quickly arriving at a place that sees roughly 500 cases a year.

When you have a regional center, when you get hurt you have the benefit of a place that sees most if not all of the above cases combined.

So if by some chance you have a surgical or intensive traumatic injury, you get more experienced care from an organization that embraces the specific disease.

In addition, they are experienced at determining "sick" from "not sick" and acting decisively and rapidly.

rwik123

Forum Asst. Chief
At my paying gig, I have a choice of 5 Level I trauma centers, all within a 5-10 minute ride. It's hard to get out of the city, to a level II. At my volunteer gig, 7-10 minutes to a Level II, 15 to a level I. We're spoiled, I know.

gotta love that dirty water

and to respond to what Veneficus said about the trauma centers every 5 feet... i feel that all of boston's level 1s defiantly fit the criteria of level 1 and do face a constant stream of cases that utilize level 1 assets

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
And it's regional.

In trauma volume matters.

If you have 4 level Is that each see 500 patients and a bunch of level IIs and/or IIIs that see an equal amount,

When you have a regional center, when you get hurt you have the benefit of a place that sees most if not all of the above cases combined.

Level 1 wise, we have JPS, Parkland, Baylor and ETMC Tyler, then Childrens for level 1 peds.

Level 2 wise, we have Harris Methodist and Mother Frances, then Cooks for Children.

I don't think anyone can doubt any of those hospitals abilities ^_^

Epi-do

I see dead people
Level 1's - 2 adult & 1 peds, all within 15 minutes
Level 2's (that I know of) - 1 adult, within 20 minutes

We have an additional hospital that is 5-10 min away that is currently working towards getting certified as a level 2.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Level 2 trauma is about 5 mins away.
Level 1 trauma is about 1hr 30mins away.
Burn center is about 1hr 30mins away.

The times are based on code 3 driving and no traffic at all.