How can anyone manage to fail EMT BASIC?

hometownmedic5

Forum Asst. Chief
Fine then. Revised to say the dot standard minimum curriculum is 110hrs, and while some schools may tack on course work of variable value, the minimum acceptable number of hours is quite minimal.

As for the rest of it, emt is an entry level mainly practical skills course taught at a low enough level that, barring physical or mental disability, adults should be successful at with minimal effort. Therefore I remain of the opinion that, except as noted and with the addition of potential unexpected life complications, anybody failing to achieve success did so due to apathy.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
It's very easy to fail an EMT program and students fail out every semester. At my college we start with 120 students and normally 80-90 pass.

You guys have an EMT program that attracts and admits 120 students per semester? Dayum.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
You guys have an EMT program that attracts and admits 120 students per semester? Dayum.
IMG_0278.GIF

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I know I'm not the brightest star In the sky, but I'm not a complete dummy, either. And I remember thinking EMT was quite a bit to grasp and remember, for a complete layperson. Of course it's not difficult stuff, and I don't think I was ever in danger of failing, but I was into it and studied plenty.

I think even a pretty intelligent person could easily fail the class, if they had plenty going on in other parts of their life, and just didn't stay on top of it.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Yeah. We offer 4 different classes per semester (Monday class, Wednesday class, Tue/Thr night class, and a Saturday class). Each class has a max cap at 35 students. Each semester the Monday and Wednesday classes fill up instantly. The night and weekend class are usually full or may have a max of 5 seats open.

It's at a community college that has a great reputation in the fire and EMS world that offers fire science and emergency medical services associates degrees. The college is also well known for its RT program.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Yeah. We offer 4 different classes per semester (Monday class, Wednesday class, Tue/Thr night class, and a Saturday class). Each class has a max cap at 35 students. Each semester the Monday and Wednesday classes fill up instantly. The night and weekend class are usually full or may have a max of 5 seats open.

It's at a community college that has a great reputation in the fire and EMS world that offers fire science and emergency medical services associates degrees. The college is also well known for its RT program.
Moreno Valley?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Is that the one out between 29 Palms and Yucca Valley?
That would be copper mountain college. I honestly don't know if they offer an EMT program but I think they might.

Dennhop

Forum Crew Member
That's right. Now it's coming back to me, lol

I know they've got a fire1 and 2 course out there.

MikeC

Forum Crew Member
Passing the class in of itself was pretty much a gimmie if you showed up. Passing the psychomotor and NREMT exams not so much. out of a class of 12 completed at the end of February, only 3 of us have passed so far.

Many have failed the NREMT exam specifically.

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
We had a kid get kicked out for drinking a Four Loko type beverage during class and claimed he didn't know it had alcohol in it. Sad thing is he was probably dumb enough to be telling the truth.
If i got thrown out of my college classes for drinking a little rum/coke or vodka/club.....I would never have gotten a degree

agregularguy

Forum Lieutenant
If i got thrown out of my college classes for drinking a little rum/coke or vodka/club.....I would never have gotten a degree

Hell, we have a week on my campus where it's practically encouraged..

Agg04

Forum Probie
A buddy of mine failed EMT basic...how is that even possible? He was even attending class like he was supposed to.

I also thought EMT-B was somewhat easy. The hardest part was making sure I actually understood the concepts and skills instead of just committing it to memory and regurgitating it for testing/skills day. Your friend could've been going through a lot and might have been distracted. This post kinda seems like you're saying "how can anyone fail EMT-B, it was so easy for me". Its also a fast paced class and they do cover a lot of information in a small period of time. One of my main gripes is that we were always moving on to a new subject after briefly covering a subject it in one 2 hour lecture. A lot of people process things differently, and possibly might need more time to fully grasp it. You as a friend should've been there to help him after failing the first test. I know I did in my squad. I was my squads leader and drove 30+ minutes out of my way to help an individual in my squad that was struggling but I knew she truly wanted to pass. Its sad when you have people that obviously don't support you while you're in class, its even sadder that your his friend and you didn't support him. It's ****ed up man.

And if you disagree with anything that I am saying, please tell me the reason you started this post. Because it just sounds like you want to roast your "Friend",

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
That would be copper mountain college. I honestly don't know if they offer an EMT program but I think they might.

#Irrelevant post... they do offer a EMR and EMT program.