How can anyone manage to fail EMT BASIC?

LifeOfAMedicStudent

Forum Crew Member
A buddy of mine failed EMT basic...how is that even possible? He was even attending class like he was supposed to.

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
Wow! Very supportive of you for your friend. It happens. Not the end of the world. What if your friend happens to come across this? Just saying.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

OP
OP
L

LifeOfAMedicStudent

Forum Crew Member
Wow! Very supportive of you for your friend. It happens. Not the end of the world. What if your friend happens to come across this? Just saying.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Hey, my friend may not be the brightest person in the world, but he is a good kid. He is a brother from another mother.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Well, that's how you fail out of EMT-B.
giphy-facebook_s.jpg

hometownmedic5

Forum Asst. Chief
Simply by not caring.

The emt curriculum is ~130hrs of 8th grade level course work with some basic practical skills. There's nothing overly complex about it; so provided you can read, write, and speak the language the class is being taught in and are not mentally or physically handicapped in someway that prohibits you from achieving competency and understanding in the material, the only way left to fail is simply apathy.

However, I don't think you wanted us to explain this basic concept to you. I think you want to feel superior to your friend and felt like you'd be more comfortable in a like minded mob. So good for you. You've succeeded where your friend did not and you've come to the internet to brag about it. I hope this moment was everything you thought it could be.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Remember when we talked about fitting in?

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
We had a kid get kicked out for drinking a Four Loko type beverage during class and claimed he didn't know it had alcohol in it. Sad thing is he was probably dumb enough to be telling the truth.

Only thing that would have made that story better would have been if he kicked back after guzzling it and lit a cigarette.

...and then belched and asked for a copy of "Ramblibg Thoughts". Several times.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Eh, if you can pass the class while drinking, I genuinely don't see the problem ;) (probably doable for EMT)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
It's very easy to fail an EMT program and students fail out every semester. At my college we start with 120 students and normally 80-90 pass.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Eh, if you can pass the class while drinking, I genuinely don't see the problem ;) (probably doable for EMT)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The final study session for my EMT class involved four of us, a 30 of PBR, and a secluded library corner.

I miss college.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
How many times do people post threads about how to pass the NREMT after failing for the third time? Those are the ones that DON'T fail out of the initial EMT class....maybe the OPs friend lost interest in the class and was only there in person, not spirit? Thought it really was so basic as to require no study time outside of class? Or simply couldn't grasp the concepts? While most of us here consider EMT Basic to be just that, Basic, I'm sure there's a math forum out there that considers math that'd make my head spin to be just as basic lol

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
The emt curriculum is ~130hrs of 8th grade level course work with some basic practical skills. There's nothing overly complex about it; so provided you can read, write, and speak the language the class is being taught in and are not mentally or physically handicapped in someway that prohibits you from achieving competency and understanding in the material, the only way left to fail is simply apathy.
Maybe for you, but my classes are between 220 and 240 hours, and we have students fail all the time.

It's not that the material is hard, but it is a lot of information, especially if you have never done anything like this before, are doing it on the side (ie, while working Ft elsewhere, having a life). and if you don't study, do the readings, and do the HW, failing is a high probability.

I agree it's not the hardest class, especially compared to other classes in healthcare. But with as few prerequisite classes as it has, and with such low entry requirements, I can see how someone can fail it, especially if they don't put the work in.