How are your rigs staffed?

CodeSurfer

Forum Captain
Are you guys set up with an EMT and Paramedic on each rig (ALS) or do you usually have two medics? Does anyone know about San Diego in particular? It makes sense for there to be one EMT partnered with a medic... but I'm new to all this so I could be wrong.

Summit

Critical Crazy
We usually run as pairs of Basic/IVs out of each station.
Paramedic Fly units respond from the two central stations.

We have a few Intermediate + Basic/IV crews and a few crews where a Basic does not have IV certification.

At night we may sometimes run Basic/IV + Paramedic ALS ambulances out of the main station.

Another county near hear runs double medic ambulances almost exclusively. Most of the surroudning counties run ALS ambulances with a basic/IV and a medic.

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
Since we're vollie agencies, we run with whoever shows up... LOL.

At the FD the minimum is FF Driver and EMT. At the Corps it's usually 2 EMTs (one to drive, one to tech...). My crew has 2 EMT-B's (both drivers), myself (ALS), and now 2 probies. So we're huge, but we can only roll one rig technically.

That all goes away when you have multiple calls and start pageing out.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Originally posted by rescuecpt@Feb 22 2005, 01:23 PM
Since we're vollie agencies, we run with whoever shows up... LOL.

Same here, but the state has some minimum requirements.

For a medical call, we must have an EMT and somebody certified Advanced First Aid.
For a trauma, we must have an EMT and a First Responder.
Both of these rules are void if there are two EMTs on board.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Our rigs are as follows:
ALS = 2 EMT-Paramedics
BLS = 2 EMT-Basics (or an EMT-I or P)
Paramedic First Responder = 1 EMT-Paramedic in a Tahoe with no IV kit or drug box

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
Well, of course we have a minimum of 1 EMT for any call.

SafetyPro2

Forum Safety Officer
Not sure about the private companies in SD, but the Rural/Metro ambulances that respond with SDFD through the SD Medical Services Enterprise are staffed with one Paramedic and one EMT. Each SDFD fire engine is also staffed with one FF/Paramedic and three FF/EMTs, so any call gets you at least two medics and 4 EMTs.

Up here in LA County, to be considered an ALS unit, you have to have two Paramedics, so thats how most of the FD ambulances and squads are staffed. Assessment units (usually engine companies) can run with only one medic to start ALS care, but a true ALS unit has to be simultaneously dispatched (the assessment medic can cancel them if ALS isn't warranted).

Our department (volunteer) is currently BLS only. We're in the process of trying to add ALS care, most likely through a partnership with a private company. The way we currently work is that all members are expected to get their EMT certification by the end of their probationary period or shortly thereafter (depending on when the class is offered). During weekdays, the ambulance is staffed by the paid fire prevention staff, and the "daytime" volunteer responders (myself included) respond as well in our personal vehicles. On weeknights and weekends, one of the on-duty FF/EMTs (we have 3 crews that rotate weeks and weekends) takes the ambulance home with him/her. Another FF (usually an EMT, but not always) takes the Utility truck (Ford F-350) home with him/her. They both respond to the scene in those vehicles and the other on-duty personnel respond in personal vehicles for EMS calls or to the station for other calls. This gets us, on average, about 8-10 EMTs minimum on every call (and usually more from "off-duty" folks responding).

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
Here in FL, both RuralMetro that runs our county and the two adhjacent county servies have 1 EMT-B/1 EMT-P on board. Makes it nice they are all ALS.

emtbuff

Forum Captain
For our volley squad we have either one driver and an EMT or up to four EMTS or anything in between. WE have to have one emt before the rig leaves.

coloradoemt

Forum Asst. Chief
On my volly squad we always have at least one Basic with at least a first responder to roll a rig. At Rural Metro we have 2 basics or 1 basic 1 medic or 2 medics depending on the days needs.