Hours of an Ems

911sweetie

Forum Ride Along
I was just wondering do all EMT's work 24 hours or are there some companies that have like 12 hours or less for a shift. If they do have shifts for 12 hours or less are the few and far between because everyone wants them?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
My company does 12 and 24 hour shifts. Some other company's do 8 hours and some do more then 24 hours

OP
OP

911sweetie

Forum Ride Along
Well that is a relief. I would LOVE to get certified, but I didn't know about what the medics worked, the hours has really affected my decision. I'm having a hard time leaving my daughter for that long, so an 8 hour shift would be great. Thank you for letting my know.

Anjel

Forum Angel
here they are all mostly 12 hours. no less than that. And everyone competes for the 24hrs.

So I guess it just depends where you are.

If you work anymore than 12 scheduled hours the company has to provide a station for you I believe with at least a shower.

companies here dont have too many stations.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
With my company if you work 12 hour shifts you are normally street posted. If you are 24 you are at a station. All our stations are required to have is just a sleeping area and a place to prepare food.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
here they are all mostly 12 hours. no less than that. And everyone competes for the 24hrs.

So I guess it just depends where you are.

If you work anymore than 12 scheduled hours the company has to provide a station for you I believe with at least a shower.

companies here dont have too many stations.

In NM it was longer than sixteen. But from what I've seen as well, most services are twelve hour shifts or more.

EDIT: My new job will be either 3 13s a week.

Last edited by a moderator:

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Well that is a relief. I would LOVE to get certified, but I didn't know about what the medics worked, the hours has really affected my decision. I'm having a hard time leaving my daughter for that long, so an 8 hour shift would be great. Thank you for letting my know.
Think of it this way: if you work 24s, yes, you will have to be away from your daughter for a day, but if you are FT, you will get to spend 5 days a week with her. now compare that to 8s (where you work 5 days a week), or 12s (where you work 3-4 days a week), and you see that only working 2 days a week has it's perks.

most people would take working 12 hour shifts becuase it gives them 3-4 days away form work every week, vs 8s which means only 2 days off every week.

the downside to 24s is if you are busy, you get no rest time. my FT jobs has units that can do 18 calls in a 12 hour shift. too rough to do 24s. now if you only do 6 calls in 24 hours, and have sleeping quarters, than jump on them, they will pay off in the end.

CAPilot55

Forum Crew Member
I was just hired, and from what the HR rep said, is we will work 12's. So it is like a 3/4 schedule. One week you work 3 12's, then the next 4.

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
My company offers 8,10,12,13,14 and 24 hour shifts.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP

911sweetie

Forum Ride Along
Thank you everyone for your replies. I guess it just depends on what they offer here. I'm glad to know I have options.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Thank you everyone for your replies. I guess it just depends on what they offer here. I'm glad to know I have options.

Call around and see what places offer what shifts. Then find out which shift fits your lifestyle the best and go from there.

OP
OP

911sweetie

Forum Ride Along
firefite would you know about volunteering at the local fire dept. I'm wondering if I volunteer would they pay for my school? Do you know how many hours you would have to volunteer? I really want to go for ems but the money situation is killing me.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
firefite would you know about volunteering at the local fire dept. I'm wondering if I volunteer would they pay for my school? Do you know how many hours you would have to volunteer? I really want to go for ems but the money situation is killing me.

That changes widely depending on department. Volunteering in my town works like this: you only get paid if you go on any fire or any call over 3 hours. Have to have 40 training hours a month at a minimum. Shifts are only 24, 48, or 72 hours all served in a row. So your working for 1, 2, or 3 full days. They will sponsor you thru the firefighter academy and if they see you show a real interest in medical then they will pay for medic school. If things get really bad you can get paged into work. Again it changes widely from department to department.

OP
OP

911sweetie

Forum Ride Along
Thanks for letting me know. I am going to call the fire dept this week to find out. Everyone here is such a big help, Thank you!

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Yeah calling is the best. Alot of stations in this area don't have volunteer firefighters. So it might be a hit and miss in your area as well.