Holiday advice???

Tada411

Forum Ride Along
Hi all....brand new here. Im a student and will have rotations the week of Christmas. I have the option to do ER first and ambulance 24's on Christmas/Eve, or vice-versa. Im looking for thoughts and experiences from those who have been there. Which should I choose? Where would I learn the most or will the holiday have any impact at all?

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
I have worked many holidays...some I never turned a wheel, some I had mega trauma or critical medical, and some I had just an average day.

Ironically, what I have experienced on holidays has been no different than any other shift on any other normal day...except I was paid slightly more for working the holiday.

In short, other than the weather, posting on a corner (if this occurs), and potluck...it really does not matter which you do.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
6 of one half dozen of the other.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
I've worked many many holidays over the past two decades. When I first started, Christmas almost always involved at least one fatality. ped struck, grandparent won't wake up, etc. happened for 6 years straight.

If I had to pick, I would do Christmas eve/day in the ER, and the 24 hour ambulance shift beforehand. Make sure you wear your santa hat

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
I don't have kids; so I always volunteer to work the major holidays to give someone with kids the day to be with their kids; but only trade or work with someone that will trade with me for my wife's birthday or our anniversary.

Holiday's can be interesting. get dumb people dumb runs or nothing.