Hiring EMTs: Liberty Ambulance in Kern County CA

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
I don't think you would go wrong with either. Obviously I have a bias for Hall, but any Kern county is better then LACo. On paper the LACo is a little more inclusive but just with some random stuff, with the exception of in Kern EMTs can King people.

In actuality, EMTs do a lot more here than in LACo. Our FDs are all BLS (with a few exceptions.. 2 ALS engines over 8000sq/mi) so the FD generally takes over BLS duties on calls and the EMT assists the medic since we are more familiar with our equipment.

Even of youre in an area with an ALS engine (Pine Mtn Club and Cal City) county policy states that ambulance personal have medical control over FD personnel.

Maha Carbonell

Forum Ride Along
Liberty Ambulance in Kern County is currently hiring for EMTs. Starting pay is 09.00/hr, working 96 on/72 off, then 72 on/96 off the following week with lots of OT available. We cover Ridgecrest, Inyokern, Lake Isabella, Kernville, enormous expanses of rural farmland and desert, way too many miles of 2 lane highway, along with auto mutual-aid for large portions of Tulare, Inyo, and San Bernardino Counties. It's a relatively small, close-knit company running 7-8 trucks daily. Always in stations, no SSM or posting. We run with Kern County Fire which is BLS only, and our units are almost all staffed EMT/Medic with a couple dual medic. Nearest Trauma/STEMI/Stroke centers are 60-100 miles away from most of our area, and locally we've got a couple community hospitals.
Anyone interested just send me a PM, as of now we have several EMT spots opening up that need to be filled.
Any other questions about the company I'd be happy to answer...
I can't PM yet but I'm definitely interested. How do I apply?

Maha Carbonell

Forum Ride Along
I'm glad I'm not the only one who felt unsure following the interview... I'm anxiously awaiting to see if I get a second interview.
Had my interview there as well last month. The interviewer seemed to have made up her mind 5 mins in the interview and wasn't interested in anything I had to say. She was concerned because I'm going to the nursing program and she thinks I will not commit long term.

OP
OP
LACoGurneyjockey

LACoGurneyjockey

Forum Asst. Chief
Liberty just had one full time spot open up, Hall typically hires every 3 months or so and I know they just started an orientation. If you're interested I can send you a PM with the contact info.

OP
OP
LACoGurneyjockey

LACoGurneyjockey

Forum Asst. Chief
What more do you want to know in terms of job description. You show up in a waaambalance, save lives with NRBs and backboards, and disregard every traffic law hauling at 80 down surface streets to the ER.
But really, specific questions work much better, I think I've covered a lot in the thread already and there's a few others here about Liberty and Kern co in general.
Sent you a PM

surfinluke

Forum Crew Member
Definitely going to be putting in for that. Was told last month only part time spots were open so it's time to re-contact.

OP
OP
LACoGurneyjockey

LACoGurneyjockey

Forum Asst. Chief
Do it asap and push hard, they've got a few applications in and did an interview today, but it's 3 spots that just came open and at least 2 need to be filled with a medic. Good luck.

Shiboleth

Forum Ride Along
I'm not normally one to say bad things about a company, but since there are people here asking about the company and aren't really getting proper information i think i should speak up. First of all their starting pay for medics is $10/hr not $12, with medics getting paid the full 24. Second, this company is terrible to work for. The call volume isn't bad, although you definitely lose a lot of sleep from late night transfers. The big problems are way too many hours, for a crappy hourly rate, topped off by the horrible way the company treats its employees. There is total inconsistency in the way they treat people, based on whether they like you or not. There are a lot of policies on the books that are never followed, even by supervisors who will break them in front of you, and which are never enforced until they decide they don't like you, at which point you get written up. You can get written up for the same things that everyone else is doing around you. These guys absolutely do not care about their employees. One of the supervisors always tells people just how expendable everyone is.

No retirement, no real PTO, you might be able to beg for vacation time, but no one is allowed to request any days off during the weeks of Thanksgiving, Christmas, or New Years. The roster of part-timers is almost non-existent, so that means that anytime someone calls in sick they 'mandatory' people to hold over unless someone volunteers. So instead of going home after your four days on duty you get to stay some more. That's a ridiculous setup when you consider that your base schedule is 7 full days out of every 14, literally half your life at work. The company operates in areas that will give you good calls and give you opportunities to utilize your skills during long transport times. That's about the only good thing i can say about working up there. You're much better off trying out Hall ambulance.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Eeewwwww.

The 'academy' is for the non-trained individual to go from layperson to EMT. If you already have EMT training and your EMT certification, you do not fall into this category.

Twitch559

Forum Crew Member
ill contact them then. I was under the impression that it was their orientation possess and what not.

ill contact them then. I was under the impression that it was their orientation possess and what not.
No sir. That would be incorrect.