Hipaa, blogs and cellphones questions!

Anjel

Forum Angel
Today we had yet another memo in our mail boxes.

Apparently someone in our service area saw something on an employees facebook and called and complained. I dont have the memo with me. If the OP really wants details then PM me.

What kind of department are you with? Private EMS

Does your department have a specific policy relating to blogging, taking cellphone pics on a call or at the station house? If so I would appreciate a copy of the policy.

We do. I can get it for you. If you want it. We cannot post anything that would make my company look bad. We can post pics of ourselves in the rigg and uniform, as long as nothing else on that page is unprofessional. Like drunken pictures, swearing, etc.

Do you have to inform your dept. of your blog facebook or other social networking site pages?

Negative. But if they find it. It is fair game in evaluating whether they wanna keep you around or not. However, Supervisors and management cannot have facebooks.

What kind of training is given in regards to the policy? IE: A real sit down training, a bulletin board notice, etc..

We get tons of memos about it. Also it was gone over during orientation

Does your department have any new training or policies relating to possibly being video'd or recorded by a bystander, family member or patient now that every cellphone can do that?

Never had an issue with that as far as I know.

What kinds of violations and actions were taken relating to any lapses in the policy in your department?

If something you post allows someone somewhere to identify the pt or incident you are talking about, I was told it is grounds for immediate termination.

If it is just a questionable picture. You will be warned and asked to remove it.

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
Another example... I started vomiting blood last night. Boyfriend took me in but instead of bringing puke in or hoping I'd puke blood again for the doctor's sake... I just took a picture with my cell phone. He appreciated it. And I'm fine fyi... may just have ulcers.

Lifeguards For Life

Forum Deputy Chief
Another example... I started vomiting blood last night. Boyfriend took me in but instead of bringing puke in or hoping I'd puke blood again for the doctor's sake... I just took a picture with my cell phone. He appreciated it. And I'm fine fyi... may just have ulcers.

post edited

OP
OP
G

Garp

Forum Ride Along
Sirengirl, would you be interested in sending me a link to that blog via email?

Anjel1030 would you be willing to send me copies of the memos or any written polices relating to this matter?

My email is thenook at gmail

Last edited by a moderator:

BEorP

Forum Captain
My best friend obtained a patient's permission to photograph some unique extremity injuries he had from an animal attack. These photographs were taken on a real camera and distributed to other ED staff for educational purposes.

Was there anything more to ensure that a proper informed consent was given for this other than just "hey it would be good for education if we took a picture of that" "okay"?

Lifeguards For Life

Forum Deputy Chief
I understand that a lot of people frown on me for writing on the internet about my experiences working with the public in need, but I like being able to look back on each and every call I've had, being able to learn from my mistakes and being able to share with others the things that I find interesting.

I actually started the blog so that when I start medic classes, I can write about the things I learn. IVs, different conditions, ECGs, etc. So that when I start learning more, I have a place to organise my thoughts and share them with others for feedback. I would never take a picture of a patient, or of a fellow squad member without the squad member's permission. The pictures I do post are actually usually of my equipment; "This is a BVM" or "This is how I use an OPA."

62958-Dear-Diary-contents1_product_feature.jpg
?

jonesy0924

Forum Probie
I have pictures of calls I have been on. Some are posted some are not. There are many times when pics are taken mostly at MVC or fires but never should be taken on a medical call. That would be plan dumb. As for blogging about your every call no each their own. In my opinion the calls you want to forget you never do and thise would be the ones that have the best teaching so you dont need to write them down.

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
Was there anything more to ensure that a proper informed consent was given for this other than just "hey it would be good for education if we took a picture of that" "okay"?

I'd have to ask her. I think ideally written consent would be obtained in such a situation, but I'm not sure that she did.

Anjel

Forum Angel

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
For fire department: nothing that identifies what station you are with. If you have pics from firefighting on your Facebook, etc then you can not have any pics of drinking, etc. Pics are fine as long as there are no identifying features.

For my EMS: no policy at all. Pictures are fine as long as there is no identifying features. But each unit has a cell phone with a camera on it so we can take pics of TCs to show the doctor.

BEorP

Forum Captain
I'd have to ask her. I think ideally written consent would be obtained in such a situation, but I'm not sure that she did.

Yeah, that is what my concern would be. And even more than just the documentation to back it up, but also just that a patient who has just sustained these injuries is really in a state to consent.

I agree that these pictures can be important from learning, but we also need to be sure we protect our patients especially when they may be vulnerable after accidents.