Heters.

jameswf

Forum Probie
How do you help those who hate you.

My initial thought when this popped in to my head was my ex-inlaws. My ex-mother inlaw specifically hates me as if I were Hitler (not Ted Hitler Adolph with the mustache) I am not sure why, as far as I know I never kicked her dog or anything. Anyway if I were working for a local ambulance and were sent to her house I am pretty sure she would rather die than accept my help. This mentally expanded before I got here to post this. To make the situation more generic A non-white medic is dispatched to the home of a hard core white suprimicist who shares my ex-MIL's distain for the person who showed up to help and would take death over their help. In these cases what does the EMT/Medic do?

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
do your job, just like they were any other person. they don't want your help, sign the RMA. If they won't let you in because of their bigotry, call for law enforcement to make entry (they have a legal right to enter a home without permission to perform welfare checks), and when LEOs are there, they can request you and do your job. and if they still don't want your help, sign the RMA.

People have the right to make stupid decisions. If they want to die, or go unconscious, that's their choice. once they no longer responsive, than i can do my job under the implied consent concept.

They don't get to chose if they get a white or black medic, or a male or female crew. yes, if it's a two person crew and they want the other person to treat, fine, I will avoid the fight, but I will not send or request another crew when there is a perfectly competent crew there willing to help the patient.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
Speak as kindly as possible to the hater, be as professional as possible, and do whatever they say.

"Get the hell out of my house" is all I need for a refusal sometimes.

Document situations with quotes, and do your best to talk them down.

JPINFV

Gadfly
...because you treat the patient in front of you, and nothing else matters during that time period.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Speak as kindly as possible to the hater, be as professional as possible, and do whatever they say.

"Get the hell out of my house" is all I need for a refusal sometimes.

Document situations with quotes, and do your best to talk them down.

...because you treat the patient in front of you, and nothing else matters during that time period.

Amen.

There's nothing you can do, just be professional and attempt to kill them with kindness.
hatereagle.jpg

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Kill em with kindness.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
I kill em heters with a hunting rifle. what else would I use? They make for great barbeque.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
It is not my problem that an otherwise competent but extraordinarily bigoted person chooses not accept to help when they are in need. Stupid is as stupid does, sign here at the bottom please.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Be nice.

I had a patient who went so far as to try to frame me for malpractice, and as a little goodbye attempted to smear me with his HepC positive blood. (He got three more months in prison for that, I'm told). I was not allowed to opt out of his care, and we butted heads repeatedly. Just play it by ear, follow the rules, have witnesses present, and keep a clear path out of the room.