Herbs and Oils

HerbsNoilS

Forum Ride Along
Hello Medical community - I am here to try and spread the word about the wonders of including herbs and oils into your EMT practices. If you are interested REPLY and we'll begin!

k8ek8e

Forum Probie
Herbs and oils? You might be in the wrong forum, this is emergency medicine.

OP
OP
H

HerbsNoilS

Forum Ride Along
Haven't you ever needed emergency herb therapy? It's common!

OP
OP
H

HerbsNoilS

Forum Ride Along
Common...??? In Papua, New Guinea?
I am from a small village in northern North Dakota. Around these parts we don't rush to use fancy medical equipment when a good combination of all natural ingredients can remedy just about anything.

JPINFV

Gadfly

I'm interested. Please describe an emergency situation that is mitigated by the use of herbs or oils that aren't processed into pharmaceuticals.

OP
OP
H

HerbsNoilS

Forum Ride Along
I'm interested. Please describe an emergency situation that is mitigated by the use of herbs or oils that aren't processed into pharmaceuticals.
I am sorry good sir but I do not understand the word mitigated and I honestly think you're trying to make me feel inferior as a medical expert. Many of my clients benefit during panic attack situations by the simple aroma of Vanilla.

emtchick171

Forum Lieutenant
I am sorry good sir but I do not understand the word mitigated and I honestly think you're trying to make me feel inferior as a medical expert. Many of my clients benefit during panic attack situations by the simple aroma of Vanilla.

Mitigated simply means to lessen the severity.

citizensoldierny

Forum Captain
I used to like a little herb when I was a teenager. It helped to mitigate my serious mood states but exacerbated my dorito cravings. Never did any oils though.;)

JPINFV

Gadfly

Not at all. I believe that everyone should have a chance to explain their view points before being judged, including complimentary and alternative medicine (CAM). For example, I'm not against homeopathy because it's a CAM, but because of the sheer lunacy of a mechanism that flies in the face of basic chemistry (i.e. dilution makes it stronger), among other things. I have no trouble thinking that non-processed plant products can have medicinal uses (I specify non-processed because plenty of medications are either derived or originally derived from plant products. It's no coincidence that "opioid" is spelled similar to "opium."), however the mechanism of action should be considered by medical professionals. Some mechanisms for CAM (including herbs/oils) are placebo, which while I'm for supporting a "what ever works" approach for personal use, medical professionals shouldn't be prescribing placebos.

Similarly, there's the concept of emergency. While I do agree with the common sentiment that the patient defines the emergency, at the same time the pace of work by the provider needs to be determined by the providers determination of if an emergency is going on. While I do agree that a patient who is having a panic attack needs to be assessed, treatment provided as indicated, and if the patient wishes, transported, but I wouldn't necessarily call a panic attack an "emergency."

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
WARNING: IED area!

Just a friendly word to the OP.

There may very well be individuals here, like myself, who get that stuff and are interested in learning more.

However, on this site you will first have to establish street cred, which means you gotta talk to us in a language we understand, from a POV that shows YOU understand what we're doing out there.

My suggestion is to direct us to a website that clearly shows us examples of this mode of intervention in action in an emergency situation, and THEN make yourself available for questions.

Unless you're an active paramedic, it's more likely you'll be engaging in tons of skirmishes in an effort to "convert" us to the idea of administering herbs and oils in emergent situations.

I do recall a situation where, upon responding to a "motorcycle down" call I arrived on-scene to find a passerby crowding the patient while he administered essential oils. There was blood running from the patient. He tried to explain how this would help, in essence slowing me down.

I was not polite, and let's just say, he got moved so I could do my work.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ewok Jerky

PA-C

I don't see anything here that is derogatory or sarcastic.

What type of emergent scenarios are herbs and oils successful? Respiratory emergencies? cardiac? hypoglycemia?

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Thread reopened provided it doesn't turn into an advertisement.

Last edited by a moderator:

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
I've heard that Cayanne (or however the heck you spell it) is a vasodilator. I know an older gentleman who believes it saved his wife's life during an MI. They are not into any kind of standard "drugs" at all, and when she started showing s/s of a heart attack, he started giving her the pepper. (Not sure of admin routes or what doses). Yes she was seen and yes she was in the middle of a massive MI. The Dr. said that he could not say for sure, but it just might have saved her life during the long drive from their house in the sticks to the ER.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
I've heard that Cayanne (or however the heck you spell it) is a vasodilator. I know an older gentleman who believes it saved his wife's life during an MI. They are not into any kind of standard "drugs" at all, and when she started showing s/s of a heart attack, he started giving her the pepper. (Not sure of admin routes or what doses). Yes she was seen and yes she was in the middle of a massive MI. The Dr. said that he could not say for sure, but it just might have saved her life during the long drive from their house in the sticks to the ER.

I know a woman who is an RN and also an "herbalist" tell me that hot cayanne pepper sublingual is the same as nitro. That's the most I've ever heard of that.

emt_irl

Forum Captain
screw the atropine.. get some oils!

while it may very well be true, i cannot see herbs and oils in the way im imaging them doing the work of medicially tested drugs

TacoMEDIC

Forum Crew Member
HerbsNoilS?

I am not closed to the possibility that herb and oils could be useful in medicine and I am interested in what you have to say. You said that you would like to explain how we could use herbs and oils in our EMT practices. Would you like to further elaborate on your point? Are there any emergency uses for herbs and oils that you are aware of? If so, could you please provide any studies, links, etc that would help support your points?

Thank you,

MusicMedic

Forum Captain
Garlic has natural antibiotic Allicin which is great for fighting Bacteria
During WWI and WW2 it was used as an Anti-septic to fight gangrene in the field

apparently it also helps with arteriosclerosis (dont know to what extent), HTN, hyperlipidemia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garlic

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allicin

whenever i feel a cold/flu coming on i start chewing on a clove of garlic and it deff helps...

and garlic bread is QUITE Yummy!!!