Hearing Protection

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
So apparently there was some story in the new about sirens on fire/EMS apparatus and hearing protection from the sirens. I was wondering if any members on here use hearing protection when on the job. Previously, the only time I've ever thought about it is on extrication scenes with the really loud tools and the highway traffic going by. It's something that happens only about once a month, if even that (for as often as I run) and we're usually not out there very long so I didn't give much more thought to it.

However, this issue with the sirens has piqued my interest. I'm on a rural department where our average response time is about 15 minutes. To the end of our run district is about 40. From anywhere to a trauma center is 40 minutes to an hour plus. We also have an SOG that states the sirens must stay on when responding (because the cows gotta know we're coming to get out of our way! /s).

I know that some departments have headsets that muffle outside sounds and allow the crews to talk amongst themselves but I'm looking for a solution that is more personal in nature. While those things sound great, they cost money and our department is not one that usually spends money. We could also alter the SOG to not have to have the siren on when driving through cornfields on a county highway with no cross streets but that idea has been brought up repeatedly over the years and quickly shot down for safety reasons.

Does anyone here use anything while on the job for hearing protection? I'm thinking earplugs are a quick and easy solution, but will I still be able to hear my partner talking with those or the radio if the dispatcher is talking to me? I'm guessing there's no good solution for when there's a patient in the back since we can't mic the patient up, and I'm ok with that--for the few times when we have to go hot to the hospital, but I'm just looking to mitigate the amount of hearing damage I might be exposing my young ears to and even if that's just for the responding to scenes part of the day, that's better than nothing!

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
We have an employee who wears electronic shooting ear muffs. He never has had an issue hearing the radio or partners talking to him.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
I have electronic shooting muffs, I don't use them at work. But I do use them shooting and when I'm running my chainsaw at home. They're from Big 5 and I don't really know how to explain it but any noise above a certain decibel will cancel out while noise under a certain decibel will amplify. For example running code 3 but still being able to hear the radio and your partner. http://www.big5sportinggoods.com/store/details/Howard Leight+Impact-Sport-Electronic-Earmuffs/0330123850007/_/A-4239539#.VnnRGjZlntg these are what I use when shooting. Ive never used them at work (Im not the one Desert is talking about).

The local FD uses Sigtronics(?) To where you can communicate between everyone. Those are awesome, I wish we had them on the type 3 engines last year as a seasonal. Riding in the back you couldn't hear the radio or the Capt. or front seat FF. Pricey they are, but you can't really put a price tag on your hearing now can you. As far as extrications I've never really worn hearing protection. When running a chainsaw yes, absolutely I would wear hearing protection. I would use earplugs attached to a string that I would wrap around the back knob adjustor thingy on my wild land helmet.

Oh and Edit: I recently saw on Facebook that some FDNY members are suing federal signal because they've gone deaf. In my honest opinion you have a siren thats loud AF (123 dB. Jet engine @100 ft is 140dB.) And the department itself doesn't supply hearing protection. You know how loud the siren is and yet you don't do anything to mitigate the problem. Its not the sirens fault, its the people who knew about the problem and yet did nothing to mitigate it's problem.

Last edited:

Underoath87

Forum Asst. Chief
Our sirens aren't that loud inside the cab, so long as we don't open a window.
So you guys don't just use a bit of discretion and turn off the siren when it isn't needed (like on straight roads without any other nearby cars)? Is your partner just a stickler for the rules?

And I think the hearing damage was a greater concern back when sirens were louder and fire apparatus cabs weren't enclosed and devoid of headsets.

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
Don't see how its that big of an issue when the windows are closed. Its annoying but far from hurting my ears. If you are that concerned just go to a local sporting goods store and pick up some cheap shooting ear protection.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Don't see how its that big of an issue when the windows are closed. Its annoying but far from hurting my ears. If you are that concerned just go to a local sporting goods store and pick up some cheap shooting ear protection.
We have some old units where the cab is not very well insulated. You can barely hear your partner yelling next to you when the siren is on. Luckily those are our older units that are all going away.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Last fire department I worked for had a FireComm in every truck and it was required to have it on anytime the vehicle was in motion.
We used it for radios, intercom and as hearing protection. Frankly, it was kind of a pain.

reaper

Working Bum
Older units that had the sirens on the roof were a problem. Most modern units have the sirens up front. So, with the Windows closed, the sound should not be a problem.

OP
OP
W

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm interested to hear more about those active headsets. The shooting headsets you were talking about sound interesting, but my partner today mentioned that they are not useful because ANYTIME the sound level is above a certain dB, they become ear protection and they can't register conversation when there is something above that threshold also blaring (like a siren).

And it's not just my partner, but pretty much EVERYONE here with the exception of one or two people who demand that the siren stay on because the chief has come down on them hard for it in the past. I've actually ran past him without my lights or siren on before when running to a report of a fire (because what's the medic going to do when we get there? Say "yep! that's a fire!?") and he never said anything about it but some people are adamantly against me doing that too. At my other department we have a lot of discretion and when we're going thorough neighbourhoods or at night time we tend not to use the siren. Ditto for being on the highway when no one can hear it anyways. Of course at this department, just today I ran hot for about 10 miles with only one intersection that I could literally see a mile either way because all of the fields are plowed this time of year...

Edit: I also learned today that when switching from transporting cold to transporting hot (like when a patient deteriorated in the back of my truck tonight) we have to tell dispatch on the radio, not as a courtesy to other units to keep an eye out for us, but for record purposes so later in court, we have something to document the change in response status. I'm starting to think that all of this strictness with the siren came out of a lawsuit before my time...

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
FireCom. That's that name of the intercom/radio system. Your two way radio vendor can get you information and you'll need him to interface them with the radios.

OP
OP
W

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
FireCom. That's that name of the intercom/radio system. Your two way radio vendor can get you information and you'll need him to interface them with the radios.

Thanks! I'm sure it's something that is done often with the trucks, I just have my doubts that our department will pay for them. I'm thinking of heading to an outdoors/sporting goods store to see if they have any suggestion on ear protection?