health ins. while in EMT/PARAMEDIC school

2degrees

Forum Probie
Hello, I'm new to this. I'll be a a EMT student in August and was told that I have to have health insurance throughout the entire time that I'm an EMT student as well as when I become a Paramedic student. Do you all have any advice for me? I'm guessing that I should volunteer as an EMT so that I can keep my free health insurance ( i get this because of a disability) as well as have time to study for paramedic school or work part-time as an EMT once I get my certification and hope I don't lose my health insurance while working or just work full-time having benefits as an EMT and attend paramedic school full-time as well? Has anyone been able to work full-time as an EMT and go for the paramedic program full time? I mean is it possible? Also, in order to be eligible for Paramedic school I have to have worked as an EMT or volunteer as one for at least 6 months. how are you guys working and going to school? sounds difficult. Maybe I should have went for the nursing program so once I finish I could just start working. ugh! Sorry If this question has already been answered several times with other posts. If it has can someone send me the link? Thank you guys so much. Have a blessed day.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
I wasn't required to have health insurance while going to EMT school, but this was in 2009-2010 I think. I worked part time fast food and went to EMT school. The first time I had my own health insurance, not my parents, I got it through my first full time EMT job. I lost it when I went part time to go to paramedic school. The company I worked for at the time didn't offer "school schedule", but some companies do. The last ambulance company I worked for did. They'll have shifts that will compliment local paramedic program days or hours, or they'll accommodate paramedic students with the hope they'll upgrade to paramedic when they are done. After finishing didactic, I went back full time. I stayed full time while doing my paramedic internship and just gave away one shift every other week to make the schedule work. It was very doable.

I am certain that there is something that will work for you. How else would EMTs and paramedics exist in your area, if they made it impossible to do? Ask your people how they do it? Recommemdations? They are gonna know best. Call up companies or your volunteer agencies to see how they do it. Most companies will be happy to answer those questions, especially if it helps them put butts in seats.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
2degrees, if your main concern is health insurance, you could explore the ACA ("Obamacare") marketplace and probably find an affordable plan. Keep an open mind, steer clear of politically motivated denunciations of the program, and see what it can do for you. As a self-employed person, I saved thousands of dollars buying health insurance that way for several years.

OP
OP
2degrees

2degrees

Forum Probie
I wasn't required to have health insurance while going to EMT school, but this was in 2009-2010 I think. I worked part time fast food and went to EMT school. The first time I had my own health insurance, not my parents, I got it through my first full time EMT job. I lost it when I went part time to go to paramedic school. The company I worked for at the time didn't offer "school schedule", but some companies do. The last ambulance company I worked for did. They'll have shifts that will compliment local paramedic program days or hours, or they'll accommodate paramedic students with the hope they'll upgrade to paramedic when they are done. After finishing didactic, I went back full time. I stayed full time while doing my paramedic internship and just gave away one shift every other week to make the schedule work. It was very doable.

I am certain that there is something that will work for you. How else would EMTs and paramedics exist in your area, if they made it impossible to do? Ask your people how they do it? Recommemdations? They are gonna know best. Call up companies or your volunteer agencies to see how they do it. Most companies will be happy to answer those questions, especially if it helps them put butts in seats.
Thank you for your detailed message. It was very informative. I'll definitely keep this in mind. I appreciate people like you. That's a great idea to look to asking questions in the EMT/Paramedic field. Again, I thank you. I hope you enjoy the rest of your week..

OP
OP
2degrees

2degrees

Forum Probie
2degrees, if your main concern is health insurance, you could explore the ACA ("Obamacare") marketplace and probably find an affordable plan. Keep an open mind, steer clear of politically motivated denunciations of the program, and see what it can do for you. As a self-employed person, I saved thousands of dollars buying health insurance that way for several years.
Wow. Thank you. I didn't know I would be eligible for Obama care. Thank You. I'll look into this. have a great week.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
I save even more than that by not buying insurance at all. My VA healthcare eligibility level is just enough to meet the requirements of the ACA.

Back to the original post, many people have gone through paramedic programs while working full time as an EMT. A lot of employers will work with you on scheduling around your classes to a certain extent, and some may even help pay for it in exchange for a commitment to work for them for a while after you complete the program.

If you're willing to put forth the effort, it can be done...but it won't be easy.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
If insurance is your issue, there are literally dozens of low-cost student health plans available. Google is your friend.

Most people who attend paramedic school work as an EMT during class. It certainly can be done. However, there is such a shortage of paramedics currently, many agencies will fully cover your paramedic tuition with a signed employment commitment.

Let's see... paid education with a guaranteed job for 2 years? Sounds like a winner to me.

OP
OP
2degrees

2degrees

Forum Probie
I save even more than that by not buying insurance at all. My VA healthcare eligibility level is just enough to meet the requirements of the ACA.

Back to the original post, many people have gone through paramedic programs while working full time as an EMT. A lot of employers will work with you on scheduling around your classes to a certain extent, and some may even help pay for it in exchange for a commitment to work for them for a while after you complete the program.

If you're willing to put forth the effort, it can be done...but it won't be easy.
oh ok thank you. That makes sense. that's good that you were able to use your VA healthcare. have a great week :)

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
It is my experience that it's the norm to work full time while going to Paramedic school.

There are some great part-time jobs that offer health insurance:
  • Starbucks
  • Whole Foods
  • UPS
  • Lowe's
  • Staples
  • Chipotle
If you have any interest in nursing I'd start working on getting into nursing school and working towards your RN.

Good luck!

OP
OP
2degrees

2degrees

Forum Probie
It is my experience that it's the norm to work full time while going to Paramedic school.

There are some great part-time jobs that offer health insurance:
  • Starbucks
  • Whole Foods
  • UPS
  • Lowe's
  • Staples
  • Chipotle
If you have any interest in nursing I'd start working on getting into nursing school and working towards your RN.

Good luck!
nah I think i'll pass on nursing. changed my mind. i thought the paper said you have to be working as a EMT in order to get a job as a paramedic??

OP
OP
2degrees

2degrees

Forum Probie
If insurance is your issue, there are literally dozens of low-cost student health plans available. Google is your friend.

Most people who attend paramedic school work as an EMT during class. It certainly can be done. However, there is such a shortage of paramedics currently, many agencies will fully cover your paramedic tuition with a signed employment commitment.

Let's see... paid education with a guaranteed job for 2 years? Sounds like a winner to me.
Well, this is probably dumb but because I'm disabled my classes are being paid for by the state of Illinois so I was planning on moving to another state to take care of my parents when i'm not working once i get my paramedic license. But I might must say forget it and stay in illinois because the transferring the paramedic license part is tedious. I'm going to have to repeat some exams i'm sure and go through a finger printing and background check again and pay more fees to transfer everything over. ugh! where is there a shortage of paramedics? They aren't currently hiring for emt's or paramedics in my state but only like 2 places.

MackTheKnife

BSN, RN-BC, EMT-P, TCRN, CEN
Hello, I'm new to this. I'll be a a EMT student in August and was told that I have to have health insurance throughout the entire time that I'm an EMT student as well as when I become a Paramedic student. Do you all have any advice for me? I'm guessing that I should volunteer as an EMT so that I can keep my free health insurance ( i get this because of a disability) as well as have time to study for paramedic school or work part-time as an EMT once I get my certification and hope I don't lose my health insurance while working or just work full-time having benefits as an EMT and attend paramedic school full-time as well? Has anyone been able to work full-time as an EMT and go for the paramedic program full time? I mean is it possible? Also, in order to be eligible for Paramedic school I have to have worked as an EMT or volunteer as one for at least 6 months. how are you guys working and going to school? sounds difficult. Maybe I should have went for the nursing program so once I finish I could just start working. ugh! Sorry If this question has already been answered several times with other posts. If it has can someone send me the link? Thank you guys so much. Have a blessed day.
First, does your EMT school offer insurance? My nursing school did. Also, you say your disabled and receive health care/insurance, but not why you'll lose it if you work or move. There used to be "cheap" insurance called catastrophic insurance for emergencies. That might be an option.

Lebedka

Forum Ride Along
Hi there, congratulations on your upcoming EMT studies! It sounds like you have a lot of questions and concerns about your future career as an EMT and Paramedic, as well as how to balance work and school.

chriscemt

Forum Lieutenant
Well, this is probably dumb but because I'm disabled my classes are being paid for by the state of Illinois so I was planning on moving to another state to take care of my parents when i'm not working once i get my paramedic license. But I might must say forget it and stay in illinois because the transferring the paramedic license part is tedious. I'm going to have to repeat some exams i'm sure and go through a finger printing and background check again and pay more fees to transfer everything over. ugh! where is there a shortage of paramedics? They aren't currently hiring for emt's or paramedics in my state but only like 2 places.

I wouldn't want to comment directly on the state of employment opportunities in Illinois. In the Kansas City area, you would have to look past indeed, and other online job sites and go to agency websites directly. They are all, basically, hiring.

Has anyone been able to work full-time as an EMT and go for the paramedic program full time? I mean is it possible?

Heck, working full time, single parents, etc, etc. It's possible.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
If NREMT, state licensure and reciprocity are “tedious”, you might want to reconsider this line of work.

Also, not to pry, but depending on your disability, you might not be able to physically or cognitively do the job.l, especially as an advanced provider. This is a job that matters and that doesn’t tolerate excuses for failure. You may want to do a ride-along to see if it’s even something you can do before you start.